Sponsored

2018/19 Shelby GT500 Mustang Spotted! Twin Turbo V8 Powered? [UPDATED WITH VIDEO]

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
There's no way that will be true. There have been many lawsuits over this sort of thing going back to the '60s (usually under the Sherman Antitrust Act but there's a web of state-level laws too) and case law is well established. Manufacturers can't prevent dealers from adding markup.

The most they can do is similar to what Dodge did with the Hellcats: they set allocation based on sales velocity. The longer cars sat on the lot, the less allocation you'd get moving forward. This policy meant that dealers that sold at MSRP were rewarded with more cars sooner.
Yip, it'll be another uncoordinated feeding frenzy with calling a zillion dealers to find the cheapest adm.

Why not a application like the GT? Then we can pick our dealer we choose to take delivery. Mine is an MSRP only dealer but they are small, they would never get a KR version (if there is one, and they are limited)
Sponsored

ShelbyGT350

Shelby GT350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 351C Shaker
There's no way that will be true. There have been many lawsuits over this sort of thing going back to the '60s (usually under the Sherman Antitrust Act but there's a web of state-level laws too) and case law is well established. Manufacturers can't prevent dealers from adding markup.

The most they can do is similar to what Dodge did with the Hellcats: they set allocation based on sales velocity. The longer cars sat on the lot, the less allocation you'd get moving forward. This policy meant that dealers that sold at MSRP were rewarded with more cars sooner.
AMEN!

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I believe I may have been the one that coined the 750 hp rating. If I wasn't, it's not important. The 750 I came up with was a round number that had to be more than the Hellcat's 707. The 5.2 CPC engine is already built("Ford tough"-get it, ha-ha) with forged everything. All they need to do is drop the compression and put the turbos on there. FPC engines are known for high hp per liter output. 10-12 lbs. should do the trick.

Everyone worrying about AWD, forget it. Won't happen. It will kill the character of the car and make it too staid. When Mercedes went to AWD on their AMG cars-they lost the magic that made AMG's special. Also, the Camaro lost weight, so Ford is not about to pump another 200 pounds into the car due to AWD.

Traction will be an issue, but with "Boost by gear" where they can dial in separate boost limits for each gear and Michelin Pilot Sports(or any other sticky tire) they should be able to get the power down with no unnecessary wheelspin. A sequential transmission like what is already available for the Coyote by Quaife, should be good for about 2/10's. Price? We already know the car won't be cheap to buy anyway.

Keep an eye on the weight and we'll see low 11's, high 10's stock.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Looks like they finally caught up to the previous gt500... and an auto even? Come on... i expected more from this car.
I agree the numbers are very dissapointing. I expected more in the 3.2 to 3.3 range with a 11.1 to 11.2 quarter. However the price is right kudos to Chevy for nailing the price

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Chances are this thing won't get hit with that, I believe the threshold is 23 hey mpg, I'm guessing 24 mpg is what the zl1 will get

Last edited:

Sponsored

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Motor Authority and Autocar are suggesting 810hp...

Why would Ford be so dumb as to boost a large displacement FPC? Talk about the 6.2L Chevy debacle... A FI-Voodoo would be a death sentence.

Hill Country GT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
That patent might or might not be relevant. I work in tech, not automotive, but I know in my field we get patents all the time that don't necessarily find their way into products. So be cautious of pointing to a patent and using it as proof of product direction.

Also, there are already twin-turbo hot V designs on the market. The Mercedes AMG GT uses a hot V twin turbo. Not sure if it's somehow different enough to avoid the Ford patent or if they're paying licensing fees.
BMW before Merc, too.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Everyone worrying about AWD, forget it. Won't happen. It will kill the character of the car and make it too staid. When Mercedes went to AWD on their AMG cars-they lost the magic that made AMG's special. Also, the Camaro lost weight, so Ford is not about to pump another 200 pounds into the car due to AWD.

Traction will be an issue, but with "Boost by gear" where they can dial in separate boost limits for each gear and Michelin Pilot Sports(or any other sticky tire) they should be able to get the power down with no unnecessary wheelspin. A sequential transmission like what is already available for the Coyote by Quaife, should be good for about 2/10's. Price? We already know the car won't be cheap to buy anyway.

Keep an eye on the weight and we'll see low 11's, high 10's stock.
Yeah I've heard that Ford's AWD Focus RS is "too staid". No wait! I guess I HAVEN'T heard that, have I? There is nothing inherently boring about AWD if it is paired with a capable chassis and enough power.

I agree that "the magic" will be in electronic controls. If it's possible to make them more or less transparent to the driver but still effective in controlling wheel spin, that will make the car a lot more capable.

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
Yeah I've heard that Ford's AWD Focus RS is "too staid". No wait! I guess I HAVEN'T heard that, have I? There is nothing inherently boring about AWD if it is paired with a capable chassis and enough power.

I agree that "the magic" will be in electronic controls. If it's possible to make them more or less transparent to the driver but still effective in controlling wheel spin, that will make the car a lot more capable.
That's the thing - AWD is for the RS not the Stang. Mustang was always a RWD track car. Why would Ford spend the money on AWD and up the price if they already offer a 33k+ RS? They will be competing with themselves not to mention retool an entire manufacturing/assembly line.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You're making AWD more complex than it has to be... Lines can be easily tooled for the application.

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis

Why would Ford be so dumb as to boost a large displacement FPC? Talk about the 6.2L Chevy debacle... A FI-Voodoo would be a death sentence.
I highly doubt it will be the FPC 5.2 but a CPC 5.2, like the crate. This production version better have a forged crank, especially if 800hp is in the cards.

If its at or around 800HP, it probably wont come in an auto, and was hoping for that option. Eventually ill need to have an auto when im crusty..and i'd like my wife to be able to drive my car without destroying the clutch ;)

800 HP is hard to believe...i just dont think it would pass emissions in some areas. We'll see....
What are the current transmissions that are 800HP rated?

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550

Not 810!!! 808 is the magic number... not 810.

They are simply adding the 150hp per liter to a tight lipped but still rumored 5.4. Yes, it would need to be a CPC.

FPC+FI=TNT

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I highly doubt it will be the FPC 5.2 but a CPC 5.2, like the crate. This production version better have a forged crank, especially if 800hp is in the cards.

If its at or around 800HP, it probably wont come in an auto, and was hoping for that option. Eventually ill need to have an auto when im crusty..and i'd like my wife to be able to drive my car without destroying the clutch ;)

800 HP is hard to believe...i just dont think it would pass emissions in some areas. We'll see....
What are the current transmissions that are 800HP rated?
The auto is the more robust transmission by a good deal. The 6R80 is also used in the F-150 and F-250 and can easily tow over 12,000 lbs. In those cases, rear axle durability is the weak link, not the transmission or trans cooling. The 10R80 is of similar design and will be even more capable.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hmmm... I'm at a loss as to why an auto couldn't be employed on 800hp...
Sponsored