OP
OP
Mycelus

Mycelus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Mustang GT
The color is just a way to tell one version of the coolant from another. That's it. As to the chemistry inside the jug, that' s all looked after if you use the Motorcraft fluids as advised to do so.

I did all this research on the coolants because my 2016 GT350 was due for a coolant change last fall, and when I did it, I made sure I was using what Ford recommends. There are lots of fluids available from other suppliers and I'm sure they're excellent. But, if I have to go and buy something, it's just as easy to buy Motorcraft as it is to buy anything else. My car is full of Yellow right now and it seems to be very happy!
Thank you for clarifying. I figured it was fairly straightforward but it seemed like there was more to it than just buy any coolant.

I'll be picking up some of the yellow Motorcraft this week.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mycelus

Mycelus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Mustang GT
Is there a reason this coolant isn't readily available at any auto stores or major retailers?

Checked O'Reilly, AutoZone, AAA, Walmart, Amazon etc. and none of them carry it?

I searched for WSS-M97B57-A2 and I can't find it anywhere?

OP
OP
Mycelus

Mycelus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Mustang GT
The GT350 comes from the factory with Orange coolant. Yellow has replace orange. So, while those documents are interesting, the one the OP is looking for is this one which leads with:

1685980428008.png

Sponsored

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
They stopped making it.

I did all this research a while back before settling on my choice, and my opinion is the color change forces you to drain the cooling system, flush out any crap in there, and make more money by selling more coolant. But that is just cynical me.

OP
OP
Mycelus

Mycelus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Mustang GT
They stopped making it.

I did all this research a while back before settling on my choice, and my opinion is the color change forces you to drain the cooling system, flush out any crap in there, and make more money by selling more coolant. But that is just cynical me.
Im gonna call a dealership and ask what they recommend. Just trying to get the "factory spec", whatever that currently is.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Im gonna call a dealership and ask what they recommend. Just trying to get the "factory spec", whatever that currently is.
@JAJ posted what they are going to tell you to do. If they even know about that document. Which there is a good possibility they don't.

OP
OP
Mycelus

Mycelus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Mustang GT
@JAJ posted what they are going to tell you to do. If they even know about that document. Which there is a good possibility they don't.
Called and they recommended the VC13DLG (pre-diluted; yellow).

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
They stopped making it.

When I did the coolant swap on my GT350, I did a bunch of background research on coolant types just so I knew what was going on. There are warnings by several manufacturers, including aftermarket ones, the we should not top up any coolant, regardless of who makes it, with anything other than more of the same, or with something the coolant manufacturer says is "compatible".

In this context, "compatible" means that you can mix in a little or a lot and it'll continue to meet the factory specs for the original coolant. So, if your orange Motorcraft coolant is a little low, you can safely top it up with a cupful of yellow. In my GT350, I changed out about 80% of the original orange coolant and refilled with yellow. Every time I get near the car, it reaches out and pats me on the back for a job well done.
Sponsored