Sponsored

2017 GB GT/CS Convertibles, a story...

MoodyGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS Grabber Blue Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, so this is a weird story I was told, and it sounds like dealer nonsense to me to boost price, so here goes.

When I was looking for my next car my wife and I decided we wanted a convertible and after much searching for the "right" car I started seeing more and more 2017 GT/CS's (mid-2018) and really taking a liking to them, so did she.

I was going to see about a white one, possibly yellow and then 1, just 1 GB came up in my searches, it was in Wisconsin, we both loved it and started talking about a road trip.

Then another came up in Philly but they wanted a ton more than the one in Wisconsin, and it was stick, we wanted auto.

Days later, one came up in Massachusetts with a reasonable price, auto, low miles. I made the trip up to Mass, saw the car and started the paperwork on the spot, but here's where it gets odd.

In talking with the salesmen, who already knew I was all-in told me he had a ton of interest in the car including one of the FNI guys, but that he never put a deposit on it, and, oh well... so we're talking about my journey and only ever finding 3 of these (I had since found a 4th in Florida) and he told me the car was previously registered as a Ford Fleet vehicle to an executive and all the 2017 GB GT/CS convertibles had been for them to drive around to promote the brand, or, at least several were given out like this and the production numbers would be very low.

Now, whether or not that meant they were ONLY produced for Ford execs OR that a number of them were and a number were just regularly produced he couldn't say, and frankly it sounded like, and still does sound like nonsense.

This is where things get a bit strange because I am in the process of getting a Marti Report, why not, and they asked for assistance by showing the original window sticker. Not only that, something I never noticed on the sticker was that the car was sold to Ford with it's World HQ address, and shipped directly to Ford World HQ Garage.

Someone had suggested maybe it went there to get the GT/CS badging and such but I found a 2016 window sticker on this forum where the car was sent to a dealership as you'd expect most cars.

So the question is... is the story true, is it hogwash, is it partially true... thoughts? Ideas? Conspiracy theories?
sticker.JPG
Sponsored

Brian_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
See username
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 3.7L, 2016 Explorer 3.5L
That window sticker info does prove it was originally a Ford employee’s demo vehicle. I doubt ALL Grabber Blue GT convertibles had the same history but it makes sense if some of them were used as identical promotional cars in Dearborn.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Brian S550, you are correct. My GB GT convertible went directly to a dealer in central Ohio. Now mine is not a GT/CS, but it is a grabber blue GT vert with PP1 and the MT-82

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Uhh, during the 2017 model year you could have built one on Ford.com in that exact config, regardless of who you worked for at the time.

OP
OP
MoodyGT

MoodyGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Uhh, during the 2017 model year you could have built one on Ford.com in that exact config, regardless of who you worked for at the time.
Agreed, so I think the salesmen was correct that they were for Ford execs however not limited to them.

Sponsored

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
You could post this in the convertible section. I think one of the members has one, same year as yours.

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
You could post this in the convertible section. I think one of the members has one, same year as yours.

Well my CS 2016 was a Special Order by Ford dealer in Canada, which was then shipped to me in the UK

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
We've talked about this. I don't doubt that Ford considered Grabber Blue their premiere color for 2017. My GT Convertible (401A with all options) was also bought by and shipped to Ford's HQ. Mine was also listed as a Company Lease fleet car. The difference is mine is a "normal" GT while yours is a GT/CS. But both loaded GB GT convertibles for the big bosses? Maybe. Would be nice to find out definitive answers to these kinds of questions.

17StangGTCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Vehicle(s)
2017 California Special Convertible
Strange, but my window sticker has the Sold To and Ship To blank for my 2017 Grabber Blue California Special Convertible. In the Item Number field, it says "SPECIAL ORDER". I'll have to ask the dealer what the history of the car is, since I'm the second owner.

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Hola Juan, donde en la Florida vives?

My understanding is that Special Order means somebody walked into a dealer or went on the website and custom built a car. That doesn't even mean that they ended up buying the car, so it could then have been a dealer transfer, but it wasn't a "Hey Ford, send me another Grabber Blue car" request, as those are Stock, not Special Order. Have you gotten a Marti Report?

Sponsored

17StangGTCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Vehicle(s)
Hola Juan, donde en la Florida vives?

My understanding is that Special Order means somebody walked into a dealer or went on the website and custom built a car. That doesn't even mean that they ended up buying the car, so it could then have been a dealer transfer, but it wasn't a "Hey Ford, send me another Grabber Blue car" request, as those are Stock, not Special Order. Have you gotten a Marti Report?
I live near Pensacola. You don't see many California Specials out here. I haven't seen a single 2017 GT/CS convertible here, so a Grabber Blue GT/CS is a definite standout. I have to look into a Marti Report.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
yeah, special order means just that. someone walked into a dealer and ordered it. I had to order my kids focus because we could not find one just how she wanted and the sticker on it has special order too.

17StangGTCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Vehicle(s)
yeah, special order means just that. someone walked into a dealer and ordered it. I had to order my kids focus because we could not find one just how she wanted and the sticker on it has special order too.
I figured that, but as the title of the thread says, I'm now interested in the story behind who ordered it and why it was sold after only a few thousand miles. Since it was manufactured and sold to me in Detroit, the story of these being executive loaners makes sense.

OP
OP
MoodyGT

MoodyGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think it would have only been an exec car had it been shipped to Ford HQ but I could be wrong.

Nice to finally see another of the 83 made.

17StangGTCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Vehicle(s)
I think it would have only been an exec car had it been shipped to Ford HQ but I could be wrong.

Nice to finally see another of the 83 made.
Not necessarily. I've been shopping around for GT/CS Convertible and found several of them being offered in Florida which were previously company vehicles. Usually the large volume Ford dealerships will offer them for sale as the cars approach 10K miles. The ones I've seen were in Sarasota, Florida which is near Tampa. If I'm not mistaken, it was Brandon Ford that offers them often, which is far from Ford HQ. I'm sure they have executive cars all over the US and beyond.
Sponsored