2017 Ford Mustang EcoBoost - Rear Window Explosion

khalismatic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Non-PP, 6-Speed MT-82
Like any other God given day, I started my beautiful, less than a month old, 2017 Ford Mustang to make my way to work. I did not even make it past the second turn when what sounded like an explosion erupted behind me! I look back and notice that my rear window had a gaping hole with shattered glass scattered all over my rear seats. I personally thought that someone might have shot at my vehicle. As soon as I came to the realization that I my vehicle may have actually been hit, I scrambled to the nearest parking spot to assess the damage. With no exit hole or bullet lodged in my vehicle, I came to the conclusion that this must have been a stress/temperature related phenomena especially after examining the fracture patterns.
In conclusion, I believe the rear windshield explosively shattered because of activating the defroster.
0914161730b_HDR.jpg
1007160759_HDR.jpg
2501.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

SDEcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Convertible
I could be wrong, since I am not there, but it appears from the photo the glass imploded into the car. This could be indicative of something hitting it and causing the failure. Check for a pellet inside the car, from a pellet gun. It may be hard to see with the broken glass. What did the insurance company say? Did you report it to the police, and ask if they had similar reports in the same area? Another city in our area had similar issues with kids shooting out the windows on cars with pellet guns.

OP
OP
khalismatic

khalismatic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
I looked and examined the glass, the scattered remains in my rear seat and couldn't see any foreign objects. I took high resolution images to "Where's Waldo" it at work however, I have not seen anything peculiar. As for kids shooting pellets, its highly unlikely in the area I was in. I have not yet contacted my insurance as I am waiting on Ford to respond with their direction. My car is brand new and definitely under warranty so I definitely look to hold Ford accountable as I have heard the same dealership has received other models suffering the same fate as my Mustang within the same week. Coincidence? Not likely.

berserker_sid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard GT premium
I could be wrong, since I am not there, but it appears from the photo the glass imploded into the car. This could be indicative of something hitting it and causing the failure. Check for a pellet inside the car, from a pellet gun. It may be hard to see with the broken glass. What did the insurance company say? Did you report it to the police, and ask if they had similar reports in the same area? Another city in our area had similar issues with kids shooting out the windows on cars with pellet guns.
even i will agree with ya. it seems like something has hit. The glass is imploding towards inside.

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
if you have glass coverage file a claim, tt's doubtful Ford will replace the glass under warranty and a glass claim does not effect your insurance rates.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
What was the exterior temps when you activated the rear window defroster? Is it that cold in TX already?

In the 2nd pic, the upper right comer of the glass - there's glass missing, were you picking at the glass after it broke for that area to be missing glass there? Just wondering, that's all.

Did your Dealer say the other vehicles were 2017 Mustangs?

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
So can we call it a ecoboom? :lol:

OP
OP
khalismatic

khalismatic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Verdict

Ford is covering the repair. It is under warranty as the rear defroster malfunctioned. The outside temperature was in the high 60s. There was fog on the rear window so I imagine the glass was heated beyond normal conditions (either too quickly, or too high) stressing the glass to the point at which it shattered. This has been seen to happen in Expeditions and some older Mustang models.

OP
OP
khalismatic

khalismatic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
FYI the glass only looks like it imploded inwards because as I was driving to a point of safety, the bumps in the road loosened the already weak structure of meshed glass causing gravity to cave in the remains
Sponsored