2016 starts then dies right away.

Muhnopoly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
Back when I had my 2017 Ecoboost, I was driving and all of a sudden it sounded like my tires were rubbing so I rolled down the windows then it sounded like my engine was dry heaving like it couldn't suck up gas

So I quickly pulled over and engine died. Tried to restart and it wouldnt....tried again and it started but very low idle and died....waited a few minutes and it was fine.

Ran the codes with my Cobb tuner and it was my purge canister valve that was stuck open/closed so the engine couldn't vacuum up the gas through the lines.

Just wanted to tell my story, I now have a 5.0 and don't know if these big boy engines have purge canisters for emmisions....hope you found the solution to your problem !!
Sponsored

Timmonsxp1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang ecoboost premium
Before we start talking about pricey fuel pumps ect. I would start with the cheapest route.

I had this same problem with my ecoboost at about 70k. It started small but became a problem.
At first it would just bog down on idle. Especially when I put gas in the car.

Turned out to be my Fuel evap purge valve or something along the lines of that.
Symptoms were. Car bogging at idle, after fill-up, and occasionally dying on me.
It went away after I pressed the gas or drove it a couple minutes.
The part was about 50 dollars and you could probably do the labor yourself. Or have ford do it. All in all it costs me about 150 bucks at Ford.

No more bogging or dying since.

coz0502

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I had a similar issue with mine.. Ive got the 350 throttle body/CAI as well. I cleaned the MAF and the problem was fixed. Maybe something about that intake (open right under the hood vent) gets goop in there...
I experienced a similar thing, rough idle when starting and thinking it was going to stall. It seemed to go away after the car warmed up. I cleaned the throttle body and the issue was resolved. There was quite a bit of gunk on the towel when I did this, so I just wipe it clean along with the MAF sensor a couple times a year. My neighbor / friend is a mechanic so I do it along with a fuel induction cleaning with him. No issues since.

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
My mechanic first ordered the purge valve from Ford and that didn't help so he ordered a fuel pump from them and replaced it. Cost me $500 to replace the fuel pump.

OP
OP
sandman0023

sandman0023

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Magma Red 2018 F150 5.0L, Deep Impact Blue 2016 Mustang GT
I stopped driving it a few weeks after that happened because of slick roads. I did switch the tune back to the flex tune and started using 93 fuel before I put it away. It worked fine. Iā€™ve been driving it for about a month without problems. I havenā€™t put e85 back into it since so Iā€˜m not certain if bad fuel was the problem or not.

Sponsored

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
I stopped driving it a few weeks after that happened because of slick roads. I did switch the tune back to the flex tune and started using 93 fuel before I put it away. It worked fine. Iā€™ve been driving it for about a month without problems. I havenā€™t put e85 back into it since so Iā€˜m not certain if bad fuel was the problem or not.
Could of been, who knows...

I bought my car used so maybe the person before me used e85. Mechanic said that was probably the reason, bad fuel. The car was at 30k. I never had a fuel pump problem with my old 16 gt which I drove it for 60k miles and I had gotten that brand new.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Fuel pump. Easy swap. Not expensive either.
Sponsored