Sponsored

2016 Shelby gt350 limp mode issue

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
Ok, if it’s normal than that’s good. My other mustang is a 2018 gt performance pack and it’s never had an issue, or went limp with heavy driving all day.
Unfortunately, the vast majority of 2016 GT350’s are Tech Packs and do not have the trans and diff coolers. This is a known issue with those cars. All 2017 and newer GT350’s have all the coolers.
From other blogs, those Shelby scoops seem to work on the trans, some even claim they work on track.
There is a blog here where people have added temp sensors to both the trans and diff so they can see the numbers.
Sponsored

OP
OP
fine5.0

fine5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tanner McKee
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp, 2016 Shelby gt350
Reactions: Ock
OP
OP
fine5.0

fine5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tanner McKee
Vehicle(s)
Unfortunately, the vast majority of 2016 GT350’s are Tech Packs and do not have the trans and diff coolers. This is a known issue with those cars. All 2017 and newer GT350’s have all the coolers.
From other blogs, those Shelby scoops seem to work on the trans, some even claim they work on track.
There is a blog here where people have added temp sensors to both the trans and diff so they can see the numbers.
Dang ok, that’s unfortunate…

Battlerob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
How hard do you drive it? I have a 2016 tech pack, got it aug 2020, and never seen limp mode. However, i dont track it, just spirited driving, Sometimes for long road trips. I work from home, yet have put over 12k miles since i got it. Its my daily car. Temps have easily reached over 100 outside during summer. Now im curious how much, or how hard you drive it to get limp mode. I dont think its normal unless you are really pushing it hard.
Thanks

OP
OP
fine5.0

fine5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tanner McKee
Vehicle(s)
How hard do you drive it? I have a 2016 tech pack, got it aug 2020, and never seen limp mode. However, i dont track it, just spirited driving, Sometimes for long road trips. I work from home, yet have put over 12k miles since i got it. Its my daily car. Temps have easily reached over 100 outside during summer. Now im curious how much, or how hard you drive it to get limp mode. I dont think its normal unless you are really pushing it hard.
Thanks
Not insanely hard. Most of the time I will normal drive to the freeway or medium pulls but the freeway I stay in 4th-5th gear. Mostly 4th just in case ;) but we do pulls on the freeway a few times.

Sponsored

IceAge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GG
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500, 2022 GT500, 2020 GT Mustang, Raptor,
Damn Sorry to hear of your issues and now have me wondering. But Damn I ran my used GT350 this past summer at some pretty high speeds and high temps and never had this happen. But some here seem to think It’s the non trans cooler which sounds legit. Here is a really stupid question is your radiator fan on your engine working properly? And or is your Radiator working correctly? And or is the water pump or thermostat working correctly. Todays cars and even motorcycle and ATV’s are so temperamental to the slightest thing. To give you an example I just sold my 3 year old ATV and Murphy’s law the day the guy shows up to buy it the battery is dead. Jump start her and when she is running all these codes and transmission issues and I am like what the hell. Call the dealer and says you need. new battery and damn sure enough a new battery fixed all the problems.
348BEF22-85E3-4632-B3CC-603AE008BDA6.jpeg

OP
OP
fine5.0

fine5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tanner McKee
Vehicle(s)
Damn Sorry to hear of your issues and now have me wondering. But Damn I ran my used GT350 this past summer at some pretty high speeds and high temps and never had this happen. But some here seem to think It’s the non trans cooler which sounds legit. Here is a really stupid question is your radiator fan on your engine working properly? And or is your Radiator working correctly? And or is the water pump or thermostat working correctly. Todays cars and even motorcycle and ATV’s are so temperamental to the slightest thing. To give you an example I just sold my 3 year old ATV and Murphy’s law the day the guy shows up to buy it the battery is dead. Jump start her and when she is running all these codes and transmission issues and I am like what the hell. Call the dealer and says you need. new battery and damn sure enough a new battery fixed all the problems.
348BEF22-85E3-4632-B3CC-603AE008BDA6.jpeg
Well sir, first off I need to compliment that Shelby truck hiding in the back! Sure is beautiful! The more I think about it, I don’t recall ever hearing the fan once I get out of the car. As far as the other question I would have to start monitoring it. When I bought the car the coolant tank was all cracked and blew coolant everywhere, that’s my fault for not seeing it when I bought the car but it definitely looks like it has dealt with some crazy heat issues.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
Damn Sorry to hear of your issues and now have me wondering. But Damn I ran my used GT350 this past summer at some pretty high speeds and high temps and never had this happen. But some here seem to think It’s the non trans cooler which sounds legit. Here is a really stupid question is your radiator fan on your engine working properly? And or is your Radiator working correctly? And or is the water pump or thermostat working correctly.
I don’t know what year your GT350 was, but this problem only applies to non-Track Pack 2016 GT350’s. All other years have all the coolers. All his engine temps appear to be normal.
I run my 2016 GT350 w/Track Pack on track here in the south Texas heat and never have any problems. Ditto for the new GT500. They learned a lot of lessons on how to cool a high HP car on track since the 2016 debacle.

IceAge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GG
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500, 2022 GT500, 2020 GT Mustang, Raptor,
Well sir, first off I need to compliment that Shelby truck hiding in the back! Sure is beautiful! The more I think about it, I don’t recall ever hearing the fan once I get out of the car. As far as the other question I would have to start monitoring it. When I bought the car the coolant tank was all cracked and blew coolant everywhere, that’s my fault for not seeing it when I bought the car but it definitely looks like it has dealt with some crazy heat issues.
Hmm damn something ain’t right in the cooling system. Ever due a pressure check? And what coolant was added and at what ratio? Hope pointing out some ideas helps and just thinking out loud.

Sponsored

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R, 91f150,Lexus GX460 , 1965 Mercury comet cyclone 4speed
Vehicle Showcase
When you take it in to the Ford store, don’t forget to mention every detail about your cracked coolant tank how you found out about it how hot it got what you did to correct it what fluids you replaced it with etc.. it’s not a coincidence that when you’re troubleshooting some thing the last time something was worked on or had a change to it has to do with the problem now.

GAGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 1983 S10 Sport Pickup

5.2 VooDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Comp. Orange GT 350 - Born March 3rd - Arrrived March 14th
No sensor required for the transmission on ‘16 Tech…it’s there you just need to activate it with Forescan….

OP
OP
fine5.0

fine5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tanner McKee
Vehicle(s)
When you take it in to the Ford store, don’t forget to mention every detail about your cracked coolant tank how you found out about it how hot it got what you did to correct it what fluids you replaced it with etc.. it’s not a coincidence that when you’re troubleshooting some thing the last time something was worked on or had a change to it has to do with the problem now.
I brought it back to the dealer that I bought it at and they replaced it under my warranty.

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
I agree with @Hack - something isn't right. I have a 2016 tech pack, have owned it for all five years of it's life, and never had a limp mode issue on the street. Even in 110 degree summer weather. It isn't a daily driver, but is nearing 20k miles, so it does get driven.

I have had limp mode on track, but never on the street. I always got a message once it reached limp mode too.

I know this is a touchy subject........but I don't think I could induce limp mode on the street if I tried. Maybe others have different levels of sensitivity to other's scrutiny, but I think I would have to be doing some relatively crazy driving to get the trans that hot.

It is interesting that it happens after you park it at a car show. In the cases where I experienced limp mode on the track, it cooled between sessions (40 minutes or so) such that I could go drive hard (at least what I call hard - I'm no track junkie) for another 5 to 7 minutes before it got too hot again.
Sponsored