Sponsored

2016 Shelby GT350/GT350R Media Drives & Reviews (CHECK FIRST POST)

5.0 Probie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT

Carzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rapid Red 401A PP1 A10 Magneride
I'm with everyone else here; I want to see this car driven by someone who knows how to drive!

The hype machine is in full effect here. And this video was like getting your hopes up for the smoking hottie who left out the bathroom window at closing time and you're left going home with the troll left at the bar with 3 teeth and bad gas.

... not that I would know anything about that.
You better not be likening the Ecoboost to the troll. :D

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Really disappointed with these first drives in term of performance content. What's up with Ford not offering performance metrics during these press events. Most of the information presented is stuff we already know. Is Ford afraid to tell us 0-60, 1/4 mile and track lap times?

Sered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 335i, big turbo, big fuel
Really disappointed with these first drives in term of performance content. What's up with Ford not offering performance metrics during these press events. Most of the information presented is stuff we already know. Is Ford afraid to post 0-60, 1/4 mile and some lap times?
We still haven't seen the big dogs yet. I think Ford may be letting them do their own testing (which I'd honestly rather see vs Ford sharing their own metrics). Independent testing is always better as many Hellcat owners still running high 11s or C7Z06 owners heatsoaking on lap 2 can attest ;)

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
We still haven't seen the big dogs yet. I think Ford may be letting them do their own testing (which I'd honestly rather see vs Ford sharing their own metrics). Independent testing is always better as many Hellcat owners still running high 11s or C7Z06 owners heatsoaking on lap 2 can attest ;)
Hopefully they are, but a manufacturer baseline is always nice. Ford shared numbers on the GT500, but has been silent in the S550 era outside of some published times for the European spec GT.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Hopefully they are, but a manufacturer baseline is always nice. Ford shared numbers on the GT500, but has been silent in the S550 era outside of some published times for the European spec GT.
Seems like they responded to the lying, cheating opposition with silence. I can't say I blame them.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
No real incentive for the manufacturer to release this type of info until after the full gauntlet of media reviews are complete. And so far all the reviews are by the JV team of automotive "journalists" at small events with limited seat time. So the full reviews are still yet to come, these are more "first drive" type reviews, just to let the media give their first impressions of the car.

chill66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT500
Not sure who it was but a guy talking with our group last evening said about 8 seconds faster than Boss LS at Laguna, 4-5 seconds faster than GT500. For what that's worth who knows.

Edit - hope I can get a 2016 R without ADM by end of next year. It may be a 17' for me though since we plan on a custom house being done by August.

Wow! The GT500 ran a 1:38:70 at LS. 4-5 seconds quicker definitely puts this car in some extremely quick company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!

scungilio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Lap times are roughly one and a half minutes there for these cars. Does anyone honestly believe a one or two second difference there would equate to a superior experience on the street. A lot of these metrics are purely academic. Lets not also forget driver variability, atmospheric fluctuations, track conditions, etc.

Sponsored

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Lap times are roughly one and a half minutes there for these cars. Does anyone honestly believe a one or two second difference there would equate to a superior experience on the street. A lot of these metrics are purely academic. Lets not also forget driver variability, atmospheric fluctuations, track conditions, etc.
I don't think anyone has set in stone the optimal or even lap time yet... not until Randy P. puts it to test at least. What you can extrapolate is that it's a reasonable albeit debatable educated estimate that the R can at least do a 1:35 range lap time at LS. I think it can go lower... like in the 1:34s at a minimum.

As for street experience, I think the GT350 will be adequately fine... it has enough power (incl. TQ) for leisure street driving and if equipped with MagneRide then it'll be more icing on the cake for versatility (i.e. a comfortable ride).

scungilio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Yeah the GT350 should be a real good time on the street.

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
To be honest I think the "low 1:30s" claim is BS. Do you guys actually think this car is faster/as fast as a new Viper TA? A track-focused car with 100+ more hp, ~200 more lb/ft, and 300-400lb less... We have to be realistic here. Personally I'd be thrilled if it lapped LS in under 1:37, which is already over a second faster than a C7 Z51.

I can't wait for this car.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I'm taking "low 1:30s" as anything sub 1:35...so I am guessing 1:34ish which is still insane given the price point. At these speeds and HP levels, peak HP numbers start to matter less and less, since the ability to put that power to the ground gets harder and harder. The GT500 did it in 1:38 with inferior brakes, tires, suspension, chassis, etc, so 1:35 or slightly better really isnt really unfathomable.

Kbreese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium, Black/Saddle.
To be honest I think the "low 1:30s" claim is BS. Do you guys actually think this car is faster/as fast as a new Viper TA? A track-focused car with 100+ more hp, ~200 more lb/ft, and 300-400lb less... We have to be realistic here. Personally I'd be thrilled if it lapped LS in under 1:37, which is already over a second faster than a C7 Z51.
Good point.
Sponsored