Sponsored

2016 Mustang GT VS 2015 Camaro SS?

Chargersfan81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Race Red
Hello Mustang community!

So today was an interesting day.. Myself and a couple of co-workers had a nice, friendly argument about speed, straight line racing. I have a 16 GT auto, another co-worker has a 15 GT PP manual and the other guy from a differnt department has a manual 15 Camaro SS.

We're all grown adults, chit-chatting at lunch when the guy with the Camaro said the Camaro SS will edge out the 6th Gen Mustang and will tie the 5th Gen Mustang with equal drivers. Of course we're talking stock for stock from factory, manual per manual with equal drivers.

His reasoning, the 6th Gen Mustang albeit having 15 more HP gained weight and is a few tenth slower than the 5th Gen. He mentioned that his Camaro is faster than the 6th Gen S550..

None of us are modded and we're all stock. I kind of found it a bit insulting since I love the S550's and no way it should lose to an SS! Worse case scenario, a tie? A drivers race?

I looked up the 5th Gen SS and it's rated at 426 HP/420 Torque but it ways a massive 3900 lbs!

No way in hell our S550's will lose to a 5th gen Camaro SS! Right? lol
Sponsored

Last edited:

bmatt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP, 2014 Honda Odyssey EX-L
Unless its a 1LE I don't think its edging out any of them. The regular SS had a pretty neutral gear ratio, the 1LE bumped it up quite a bit. Even then I think the 1LE is still a drivers race between equal drivers in a straight line at least.

OP
OP
Chargersfan81

Chargersfan81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Race Red
Unless its a 1LE I don't think its edging out any of them. The regular SS had a pretty neutral gear ratio, the 1LE bumped it up quite a bit. Even then I think the 1LE is still a drivers race between equal drivers in a straight line at least.
Right? I understand the 1Le may have 3.73 or 4.10 gears but I don't think the SS does.

Even if the SS had 3.73 vs a GT PP with 3:73, it will be a drivers race. Going by weight, I even think the S550 may have an edge since the weight of the SS is about 150-200 lbs heavier.

bmatt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Yep, if you want to bench race the data is out there and its a few tenths slower without the 1LE package. The 1LE added a 3.91, have to take into account all the other specs too for the transmission. A 3.73 would probably still put the Camaro at a disadvantage, but would be closer. It looks like the base has a 3.45 or so, I thought it was in the 2s but I guess not (may be the new one?)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Chargersfan81

Chargersfan81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Race Red
Don't know, there are some threads on Camaro5 and my friend who is a cop too mentioned that the S550 GT PP felt much quicker to them vs the 1LE. My cop friend sold his 1LE for the GT PP and never looked back.

Guess I will have to test drive his 5th Gen Camaro someday and a 1LE. Soo many 5th Gen Camaro's here with the RS badge. Saw one that said SS so I'm guessing the RS is a v6.

3.91 gears is pretty nutz!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
In reality it's probably a driver's race, but with theoretical equal professionals driving the Mustang will win.

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
This is my buddy and I now. He has a 15 1LE and I have a 15 GT PP. We have been pretty even through most of our modding. A standard SS would be at a slight disadvantage. I usually edge him out in the 1LE but I have stayed a little ahead of him with the mods. He has long tubes and I don't but I am running e85 and a GT350 intake mani now. You can hang door to door with one even when he is making 10-15whp and 20wtq more due to the extra heft of a Camaro.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
SCCA Class Report

http://www.solomatters.com/class_report_f-street_comparison

The 2015 1LE in the test is the 2015 FS Champions very car. It is being used as a control...

The 2015 Mustang is a personal vehicle I believe and was thrown in just for S&G's. It is a loaded GTPP Premium that weighs over 3800lbs, it also had more fuel.

Testing by the SCCA suggest that the 2015 1LE was 0.25 seconds faster than a fully loaded, semi-race prep'd '15 GTPP Premium.

So far, a 2015 Camaro SS has been FASTER and MORE CONSISTENT than the 2016 Camaro in the SCCA.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
My old L99 was pretty. But she was slow. I put intake, 93 tune, Texas speed headers and full exhaust on her to run a 12.66 in mine shaft cold air on P-zeros. The L99s were the faster cars on the Camaro5 fast list due to ease of operation but the Ls3 cars were faster in the Trap speeds. The 1Le probably out handles the Mustang. But like any car that handles well. You paid for that handling advantage on the street. That's why the mag ride is an option worth having. Listening Ford? Here's a pic of the old girl. Good looking car.
IMG_7927 (2).jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chargersfan81

Chargersfan81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Race Red
This is my buddy and I now. He has a 15 1LE and I have a 15 GT PP. We have been pretty even through most of our modding. A standard SS would be at a slight disadvantage. I usually edge him out in the 1LE but I have stayed a little ahead of him with the mods. He has long tubes and I don't but I am running e85 and a GT350 intake mani now. You can hang door to door with one even when he is making 10-15whp and 20wtq more due to the extra heft of a Camaro.
How ironic. I drove the GT PP and you def go through the gears quick. It feels faster because of the gearing. But, the 1LE has 3.91 gears, so it makes feel just as quick.

On topic, coworker has a regular m6 SS not with the high gearing I believe. Going to drive it sometime next week.. all 3900+ lbs of it lol

OP
OP
Chargersfan81

Chargersfan81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Race Red
My old L99 was pretty. But she was slow. I put intake, 93 tune, Texas speed headers and full exhaust on her to run a 12.66 in mine shaft cold air on P-zeros. The L99s were the faster cars on the Camaro5 fast list due to ease of operation but the Ls3 cars were faster in the E/Ts. The 1Le probably out handles the Mustang. But like any car that handles well. You paid for that handling advantage on the street. That's why the mag ride is an option worth having. Here's a pic of the old girl. Good looking car.
Holy shit never knew you had a Camaro. Judging by your time, experience the L99 is slower than the LS3, power wise. Autos are not typically that much faster if the manual guys can cut a 1.8 60 foot like some guys on here. But practice, practice and practice can get one there.

The 1LE with the high 3.91 gears doesn't mean it should get a higher 1/4 time right? If anything, it will have to shift to 4th to finish the quarter. Just thought higher gears just feels faster but during a 1/4 run, it's the same.I could be wrong.

Not sure why I'm so enamoured with straight line speed but I am!

OP
OP
Chargersfan81

Chargersfan81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Race Red
My old L99 was pretty. But she was slow. I put intake, 93 tune, Texas speed headers and full exhaust on her to run a 12.66 in mine shaft cold air on P-zeros. The L99s were the faster cars on the Camaro5 fast list due to ease of operation but the Ls3 cars were faster in the E/Ts. The 1Le probably out handles the Mustang. But like any car that handles well. You paid for that handling advantage on the street. That's why the mag ride is an option worth having. Here's a pic of the old girl. Good looking car.
Holy shit never knew you had a Camaro. Judging by your time and experience the L99 is slower than the LS3, power wise. Autos are not typically that much faster if the manual guys can cut a 1.7- 1.8 60 foot like some guys on here. But practice, practice and practice can get one there perhaps. But the DTC is the fastest tranny.

The 1LE with the high 3.91 gears doesn't mean it should get a higher 1/4 time right? If anything, it will have to shift to 4th to finish the quarter. Just thought higher gears just feels faster but during a 1/4 run, it's the same.I could be wrong.

bmatt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Holy shit never knew you had a Camaro. Judging by your time and experience the L99 is slower than the LS3, power wise. Autos are not typically that much faster if the manual guys can cut a 1.7- 1.8 60 foot like some guys on here. But practice, practice and practice can get one there perhaps. But the DTC is the fastest tranny.

Lower gearing will generally yield quicker acceleration at the cost of shorter gears. Its only part of the equation, though. You have to take into account the transmission ratio per gear, engine peak and optimal RPM, overall wheel diameter, ETC to get the full picture. Lower gearing should yield quicker times up to the point it induces another gear shift, especially on a manual transmission.

Straight line speed is where these cars started, so it makes sense. With the latest iterations they've become pretty competitive in track application as well. Dont forget to enjoy both!
Sponsored