CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Those that change their oil and get a tick. Do you get a tick with the recommended Motorcraft FL500S filter?
Mine is serviced by a local Ford dealer. Bought the maintenance program. So according to Ford service with full synthetic oil.
Sponsored

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Just for the record. My tick.

Neuromancer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1
Update with a bit of mixed news.

Ford has yet to respond to the dealership a request of what to do next.

However I did find out that according to the dealership they did a compression check with 0% loss, they looked inside the cylinders and saw no damage, they cut the fuel injectors one by one and the sound did not change. They also disconnected the vct solenoids to lock in the phasers and the noise did not change. Last but not least they used a borescope to check the intake runners and they are all fine. They were able to tell me the noise is strongest on the passenger near the manifold.

So at this time still waiting on Ford.
My 2018 GT also has the tick. I took it to the dealership Tuesday, and got it back Friday. They acknowledged the sound, and ran a similar set of diagnostics as you described. They then opened a ticket with Ford, and Ford said it was a normal characteristic of the engine that would not affect performance.

I wanted a detailed explanation from Ford on why the tick is considered normal, specifically what causes it, but at least I got it documented. Now I can enjoy my car.

Last edited:
OP
OP

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Seems to be highly contingent on who at Ford answers the request. I mean how many times are they going to eat a new short block. As far as I know no ones suffered engine failure. Like the guy above had metal shavings in his oil pan and thats what led to him getting a new shortblock. That hasnt been checked on my car but i do still have the old filter so i plan on opening that up just to see whats in there. Its concerning they cant or wont say whats making the noise on ANY of these 5.0's. I've never heard another noise like it in any car ive owned. I'm leaning towards Ford coming back and saying its normal. I dont feel that the dealership is going to push for further teardown and I won't be paying out of pocket for that either. If i do get the car back perhaps the noise will go away. I still have 6 months under base and another 20k on the power train warranty.

I'll post again when I hear back from Ford.

Sponsored

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
Just for the record. My tick.
My 2018 GT also has the tick. I took it to the dealership Tuesday, and got it back Friday. They acknowledged the sound, and ran a similar set of diagnostics as you described. They then opened a ticket with Ford, and Ford said it was a normal characteristic of the engine that would not affect performance.

I wanted a detailed explanation from Ford on why the tick is considered normal, specifically what causes it, but at least I got it documented. Now I can enjoy my car.

Not looking good!

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Mine is at the Ford dealership going through the same process. The mechanic looking at it changed the short block on a buddies car last year with the same tick. Mine began at 28K after an oil change. F150 trucks also have the same issue. With a mechanics stethoscope I located my tick at the timing chain area. Tensioner pressure is regulated by oil pressure. Hence the tick starting with an oil change. Temperature below 185 no tick when oil is thicker. I noticed the hotter the weather the more it ticks. It is a shame Ford has yet to address this.
My 2015 doesn't have the BBQ Tick when using Motorcraft 5W-20, but next oil change I'm going to use Valvoline Advanced full synthetic 5W-30 because I think 5W-20 when fully hot is a bit too thin for these engines.

OP
OP

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Yeah in hindsight I know Ford says 5w20 is ok but I live in phoenix. I think it's too thin which may have contributed to the tick starting.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe tapping engines with metal shavings in the oil system is normal. And we are just being unreasonable.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Yeah in hindsight I know Ford says 5w20 is ok but I live in phoenix. I think it's too thin which may have contributed to the tick starting.
Ford specs 5W-30 for all Mustangs in Australia. That should give a clue that they spec 5W-20 in the USA just to get CAFE credits.

OP
OP

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Ford has replied to the dealership saying

”A common source of upper end engine noise (ticking, knocking or rattle) include the camshaft(s) and valve train. Upper end engine noise can be determined using the EngineEAR/ChassisEAR or stethoscope on the valve cover bolts. If the noise is loudest from the valve cover bolts, then the noise is upper end. The EngineEAR/ChassisEAR or stethoscope can be used to further isolate the noise to the specific cylinder bank and cylinder. Removal of the valve covers will be required to pinpoint the source of the noise. Some other noises from the front of the engine (ticking, tapping or rattle) may be internal to the engine. Use the EngineEAR/ChassisEAR or stethoscope on the engine front cover to determine if the noise is internal to the engine. Removal of the engine front cover may be necessary to inspect internal engine components.”

This reply was based off of what the dealership sent to Ford. Chapman Ford thought the noise was loudest at the passenger side exhaust manifold. I thought it was loudest on the bottom end... but either way the service manager has informed me they will continue with their diagnosis to try and narrow down where exactly the noise is coming from. I did ask if since Ford hasn't approved any repairs if this is out of pocket to me and they said no, they are covering the diagnosis. They also have had me in a loaner since 7/24 so overall the customer service has been excellent. Not sure when I'll have another update as the mechanic is now going to go back to the car again and look/listen around.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Man. Hope they get to the bottom of it.