2016 Mustang GT Ticking issue

OP
OP

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Shop says they should be able to tell me what they think is wrong tomorrow afternoon.
Sponsored

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
have you heard anymore from the shop about what the specific cause of the noise and metal shavings was?
No I haven't. But the up side is billet MMR OPG and Crank Spindle are going in with the new short block.

OP
OP

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Unfortunately more waiting as the dealer has not found the problem yet. They isolated the sound to be the loudest at the driver side cylinder head on the exhaust manifold stud. They then removed the valve cover on the driver side and inspected the cam, phaser, roller rockers and valve springs. All of it looked normal. They want to remove the front cover of the motor next and get access to removing the cam then possibly the cylinder head to inspect the valves. They mentioned hotline could intervene and when I asked what they might do he said the could potentially ask the dealer to send them the entire engine for inspection although the service manager does not think that will happen.

EDIT: The service manager has given the opinion that the noise is coming from the hydraulic lash adjusters, but we will not know without further teardown. Front cover is scheduled to be removed by end of tomorrow.

Last edited:

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately more waiting as the dealer has not found the problem yet. They isolated the sound to be the loudest at the driver side cylinder head on the exhaust manifold stud. They then removed the valve cover on the driver side and inspected the cam, phaser, roller rockers and valve springs. All of it looked normal. They want to remove the front cover of the motor next and get access to removing the cam then possibly the cylinder head to inspect the valves. They mentioned hotline could intervene and when I asked what they might do he said the could potentially ask the dealer to send them the entire engine for inspection although the service manager does not think that will happen.

EDIT: The service manager has given the opinion that the noise is coming from the hydraulic lash adjusters, but we will not know without further teardown. Front cover is scheduled to be removed by end of tomorrow.
I really hope you get it resolved.

OP
OP

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Dealer inspected the timing chain guide and tensioner and they both look fine.

Sponsored

OP
OP

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Dealer is replacing all the hydraulic lash adjusters even though they did not find anything abnormal about them. Parts are ordered and should go on by end of the week. Maybe by saturday or monday i will know if this solved the mystery of the dreaded ticking.

Code

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Huk
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Tri-White
Interesting fundamentals of motor oil .. especially with such a high HP displacement engine understanding oil could help make sure your car doesn't sound like a hot toaster cooling down ..

OP
OP

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
This guy had the "bbq tick" in his car and got a new engine because the crankshaft had double the clearance of what it should have had.
That'd be pretty crazy if everyones motor that ticked had a crank with double the clearance.

Last edited:

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
I doubt everyone's is double the clearance, but then again, we're talking about thousandth of an inch. It doesn't take much to get a bad batch of cranks and loose tolerances would explain the ticking as well as why it happens when engine is at certain temperatures.

Sponsored
OP
OP

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Should know today if the hydraulic lash adjusters will do the trick. Hotline informed the dealer to order a new cylinder head if the ticking does not stop. I asked if it would only be the piece of metal that is the head and the manager replied yes. I then asked why just the head might be the issue and he said an oil gallery could be blocked and cause a flow issue to the lash adjuster. I then replied that that doesn't make sense since the issue just started unless theres a piece of metal that's broken off and is now blocking an opening on the head.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
OP
OP

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
The saga continues....

Yesterday dealer replaced all hydraulic lash adjusters on the driver side head. They had narrowed down the noise to the top of the motor driver side and felt confident one or more of the lash adjusters was loos. After letting the seal cure around the front cover they cranked the car this morning.

Service mgr sent me an email this morning stating the noise they heard at the top of the engine was gone but they heard a "similar" random ticking noise coming from the bottom so they are removing the oil pan to check the bottom end internals.

I've felt from the beginning this is where I heard the noise coming from so I am hopeful this is where the diagnosis will end. Should know more later today. It doesn't take long to lift the car and get the oil pan off.

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
The saga continues....

Yesterday dealer replaced all hydraulic lash adjusters on the driver side head. They had narrowed down the noise to the top of the motor driver side and felt confident one or more of the lash adjusters was loos. After letting the seal cure around the front cover they cranked the car this morning.

Service mgr sent me an email this morning stating the noise they heard at the top of the engine was gone but they heard a "similar" random ticking noise coming from the bottom so they are removing the oil pan to check the bottom end internals.

I've felt from the beginning this is where I heard the noise coming from so I am hopeful this is where the diagnosis will end. Should know more later today. It doesn't take long to lift the car and get the oil pan off.
Did they do a borescope, yes or no?