2016 Mustang GT Running rich?

Tasmanian2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
My 2016 Mustang GT has been having this problem lately, where whenever stopped at a red light idling, the rpm will dip, and the car will noticeably shake and feel as though it is going to stall out. The car has stalled on me twice. My Mustang is an automatic. Whenever the rpm dips, the air fuel ratio goes from 14.0-14.3, to 15.0-16.0. Car currently has 63k miles, and I have a roush axle-back, with a nameless resonator delete x-pipe.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tasmanian2

Tasmanian2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Looking for suggestions to fix the problem. I’ve also linked a video which shows the problem happening.

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
My father in law had this exact issue on his Mercury. Ended up being the fuel pump.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Could be an air leak somewhere that's causing it to almost stall. The higher a/f ratio, in that case, would be the ecu dumping fuel to correct the issue. You can try spraying some hoses or around gaskets with a carb cleaner to see if the idle changes. If it does then, boom, you found your leak.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tasmanian2

Tasmanian2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Could be an air leak somewhere that's causing it to almost stall. The higher a/f ratio, in that case, would be the ecu dumping fuel to correct the issue. You can try spraying some hoses or around gaskets with a carb cleaner to see if the idle changes. If it does then, boom, you found your leak.
I also got recommendations from some friends who said it could be my throttle body being dirty, or my MAF.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
I also got recommendations from some friends who said it could be my throttle body being dirty, or my MAF.
I had a similar issue on my 2001 GT with similar miles, was the throttle body.

Sponsored

Bladerunner70

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
My guess is the Evap Purge Valve (EPV) is stuck in the open position, allowing unmetered air into the intake manifold, thus the lean issue (15-16 afr) causing the stalling issue at idle. At idle there is little air passing the MAF, so the ratio of unmetered air is at it's highest. When the car is at cruising speed or during acceleration, the ratio of unmetered air entering the intake manifold is much lower compared to the overall amount of air being ingested.

To check to see if this is the issue do the following:

1. Leave the car running at idle, if it will idle.
2. Open the hood and locate the EPV on the passenger side of the engine near the throttle body.
3. Detach the evap hose from the EPV and place your finger over the inlet to the EPV.
4. If you feel suction on your finger, then the EPV is stuck in the open position.
5. Replace the EPV.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tasmanian2

Tasmanian2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
My guess is the EGR valve is stuck in the open position, allowing unmetered air into the intake manifold, thus the lean issue (15-16 afr) causing the stalling issue at idle. At idle there is little air passing the MAF, so the ratio of unmetered air is at it's highest. When the car is at cruising speed or during acceleration, the ratio of unmetered air entering the intake manifold is much lower compared to the overall amount of air being ingested.

To check to see if this is the issue do the following:

1. Leave the car running at idle, if it will idle.
2. Open the hood and locate the EGR valve on the passenger side of the engine near the throttle body.
3. Detach the EGR hose from the EGR valve and place your finger over the inlet to the EGR valve.
4. If you feel suction on your finger, then the EGR is stuck in the open position.
5. Replace the EGR valve.
Appreciate this. Will look at this as well.

Bladerunner70

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Appreciate this. Will look at this as well.
Evap Purge Valve failure is a well-known problem across the entire FORD product line, and it has been for many, many years yet FORD has made absolutely no attempt to redesign a substandard part. And they can fail at virtually at any time.

I've replaced mine twice and I only have 7K miles on my car.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tasmanian2

Tasmanian2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
EGR valve failure is a well-known problem across the entire FORD product line, and it has been for many, many years yet FORD has made absolutely no attempt to redesign a substandard part. And they can fail at virtually at any time.

I've replaced mine twice and I only have 7K miles on my car.
Sorry to hear that. How much are these EGR valves?

Bladerunner70

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT