Sponsored

2016 Mustang GT Fastback V8 Exhaust Sound

mstngjpm1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Fastback Auto
G'day guys

I've just joined this forum and I am patiently waiting for my car, an Ingot Silver GT Fastback Auto, to arrive hopefully, late June. I'd like your thoughts on the Exhaust sound for the stock car.
I've gone through a number of road reports, both in print ( Wheels and Motor) and on Youtube reports and there are mixed messages regarding the stock Exhaust sound. Some reviewers think the sound is great, others think it's a bit too quiet. What do you guys who are lucky to already be driving them(!) think?

I do like a nice sounding exhaust as long as it doesn't drone at 100kph. What's the verdict with the stock exhaust?

I have noticed that mustangmotosport. com.au are offering a JBA exhaust for a very reasonable $1,100
Here's the link:
http://www.mustangmotorsport.com.au/jba-exhaust-2-5-to-3-x-pipe-cat-back.html
Any of your guys know about this exhaust?
I'd rather not blow my warranty by purchasing this or any other aftermarket exhaust unless I really have to. Only thing that may make me pull the trigger would be if the stock exhaust is really too boring and quiet. Any thoughts?
Sponsored

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
Plenty of useful info in that thread. Personally, it's much too quiet, and the note isn't great

MustangDownUnder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Any thoughts on the stock exhaust though?
All I can really say about the stock exhaust so far is.... I have seen a couple GT's in the street, and I am yet to hear a GT .... Even when driving next to one.

My opinion is the stock exhaust is extremely tame (under normal driving conditions), and especially when you compare aftermarket exhausts, the stock one just sounds asthmatic.

if you bought this car with the expectation of a mustang experience, including the exhaust sound, you will most likely need to fit an aftermarket exhaust.

Which is also part of the reason there are so many options for that too.

Some people like the stock sound though, so Its all personal preference, the above linked thread has more information than you can poke a stick at.

Ill be swapping my exhaust in fairly soon after delivery.

Sponsored

Aus-MustangGT

Aus-350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 WRX/Evo 8 ADM
G'day guys

I've just joined this forum and I am patiently waiting for my car, an Ingot Silver GT Fastback Auto, to arrive hopefully, late June. I'd like your thoughts on the Exhaust sound for the stock car.
I've gone through a number of road reports, both in print ( Wheels and Motor) and on Youtube reports and there are mixed messages regarding the stock Exhaust sound. Some reviewers think the sound is great, others think it's a bit too quiet. What do you guys who are lucky to already be driving them(!) think?

I do like a nice sounding exhaust as long as it doesn't drone at 100kph. What's the verdict with the stock exhaust?

I have noticed that mustangmotosport. com.au are offering a JBA exhaust for a very reasonable $1,100
Here's the link:
http://www.mustangmotorsport.com.au/jba-exhaust-2-5-to-3-x-pipe-cat-back.html
Any of your guys know about this exhaust?
I'd rather not blow my warranty by purchasing this or any other aftermarket exhaust unless I really have to. Only thing that may make me pull the trigger would be if the stock exhaust is really too boring and quiet. Any thoughts?
I have heard this exhaust in person. The exhaust note wasn't to my liking to be honest.

Also you won't blow your warranty on a stock exhaust, so that's nothing for you to worry about.

The stock exhaust is too quiet in my opinion. There are many different options, I have only heard negative reviews about MagnaFlow so far. What I would recommend is getting down to a car show or trying to meet up with someone with a Mustang so you can hear it in the flesh, because YouTube videos never truly sound like the real thing

Last edited:

Bobsp12

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lots of Fords
The stock exhaust does at least let you know that it is a v8....but it is very quiet and muted....I got rid of ours a couple of days after taking delivery of the car. It currently has a Borla s type catback....sounds glorious. Every one who has heard it loves the sound. It is as loud as you would need it on the street though...much more would attract the wrong sort of attention. Not the slightest hint of drone to it and the radio hasn't been on since it was fitted.

OP
OP
mstngjpm1

mstngjpm1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for that.
I was wondering about the exhaust from Mustangmotorsport.com.au too. See link from my original post. How much is the Borla s catback

OP
OP
mstngjpm1

mstngjpm1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AusmustangGT, did you say that you have heard the Mustangmotorsport.com.au exhaust in a video comparison?
If so do you have a link as I can't find it on the Mustangmotorsport.com.au site
Thanks for that

Davo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
GT Mustang convertible, X3, Focus
Heard the stock exhaust when they were demonstrating the Mustangs months ago at Ford dealerships. Looked at the crowd as they revved the engine, saw my look of horrified disappointment mirrored on everyone's face as we listened to the muted symphony. Everyones' faces. Almost bad enough to cancel my order, luckily the visuals made up for the aurals. Thank goodness for aftermarket exhausts. Also want to clear the roadblock of the reduced header size on the rhd cars.

Sponsored

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
I quite like the stock exhaust.

No, it's not loud but with the exhaust note plumbed into the cabin, the occupants of the car are treated to a muted V8 sound that doesn't impede conversation. I've found it does sound better with the windows up rather than down when wind noise dilutes the soundtrack.

Ok passers-by aren't treated to the full sonic glory of the 5.0 but they haven't paid for it and not all will appreciate the noise.

If in doubt, wait and see what you've already bought before spending more money.

Aus-MustangGT

Aus-350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 WRX/Evo 8 ADM
AusmustangGT, did you say that you have heard the Mustangmotorsport.com.au exhaust in a video comparison?
If so do you have a link as I can't find it on the Mustangmotorsport.com.au site
Thanks for that
[ame]

OP
OP
mstngjpm1

mstngjpm1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the link AustMustangGT

Guess we're all different

Frankly the stock exhaust isn't bad (from the outside). I don't like the Roush at all. Sounds too aggressive and I reckon I would get sick of it pretty quickly.

The JBA seems a nice compromise- a bit ballsier and with nice crackle on the overrun without the (to me) the unpleasant rasp of the Roush

As I said, we all have different taste...

Stubai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (on its way)
It's all about taste mate. I'm with you, I like the milder rumbles with a bit of crackle rather than the roaring beast. Jba seems alright to me

mwizz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mustang 390 Fastback
I prefer the deeper sound of the JBA but love the look of the dual exhaust
Sponsored