Sponsored

2015 Owners-Biggest Surprises/Disappointments so far

daytripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13GT500,'15 GT
I'm sure this has been stated numerous times, but the fact that they did not include SAT radio with all models of this vehicle. I mean even base model Focus, and Fusions have them. Instead, we have an ever so convenient 'mute' button [emoji58]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I consider no XM to be a plus. I've had several cars that came with it. The aggravation of trying to deal with them is not worth the decent product.
The price is in the $179 area now.You can buy a lot of music for that.
Sponsored

H1 GT

Crew Chief
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
15 4C, 97 H1
I consider no XM to be a plus. I've had several cars that came with it. The aggravation of trying to deal with them is not worth the decent product.
$179 buys sixty months of Pandora One. That's what I do and I love it.

Also, the quality of satellite radio isn't great - a bit under the sound quality of a CD.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I care about infotainment
Question: Did Ford fix the QC issues with the misaligned panels and windows that some owners experienced?

unintelligible

V1, VR, Gear Up!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Premium
Question: Did Ford fix the QC issues with the misaligned panels and windows that some owners experienced?
Not entirely. Someone built 3/16 has decent body panel alignment but the window dipping on the driver's side is still an issue.

My guess is the window problem is a rigging issue with the stamping machines in Flat Rock and might be a while before it is resolved.

Bay1Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic '15 V6 051a
Was at the dealer today and the cars in the showroom had these issues. Didn't check for their build dates, though.

Sponsored

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium

You guys are lucky. We can't get satellite radio in Hawaii (and I have no idea why) and I've always wanted to see what it's like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 WW 50th Anniv LE, '68 Merc Cougar, '17 GT350R
You guys are lucky. We can't get satellite radio in Hawaii (and I have no idea why) and I've always wanted to see what it's like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I find it nice for lack of commercials but frustrating as every time I go under an over pass (not at highway speed) and near tall trees it cuts out. Not sure if it's an antenna issue or all Sirius service is like this. Either way I wouldn't pay a premium for it.

unintelligible

V1, VR, Gear Up!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Premium
Remember what internet radio sounded like back in 1998? That's basically what satellite radio sounds like. Extremely compressed; a variable bitrate somewhere in the range of 30-60 Kbps. To my ears, it's downright unlistenable.

HalfMoon

Brand Agnostic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06/Z07 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
My only complaint in the last few weeks is something others have mentioned.

The Bluetooth streaming is pretty poor quality.

I tested it with 2 files, one local SD copy and the same file uploaded to Google Music. I'm on an LTE connection and according to google they will send the file at full bitrate up to 320kbps if you have the signal to support it. This particular file was a 320kbps VBR mp3. The SD card copy sounds pretty good, at least at the standards of the Shaker Pro system in the 401A package. The Bluetooth streamed version fell flat... almost muffled.

HalfMoon

Brand Agnostic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06/Z07 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Remember what internet radio sounded like back in 1998? That's basically what satellite radio sounds like. Extremely compressed; a variable bitrate somewhere in the range of 30-60 Kbps. To my ears, it's downright unlistenable.
If you put the windows (or top if you're a convertible guy) down and drive 90mph, it sounds "fair". :D

Sponsored

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
The Bluetooth streaming is pretty poor quality.

I tested it with 2 files, one local SD copy and the same file uploaded to Google Music. I'm on an LTE connection and according to google they will send the file at full bitrate up to 320kbps if you have the signal to support it. This particular file was a 320kbps VBR mp3. The SD card copy sounds pretty good, at least at the standards of the Shaker Pro system in the 401A package. The Bluetooth streamed version fell flat... almost muffled.
That's a logical observation. It doesn't matter how well the quality of your source file is, nor if you read it from your mobile device directly or get it streamed out of a cloud service to you mobile device, the problem is that bluetooth music streaming uses it's own compression, which in mp3 terms is similar to 64 kbps, aka crap.

So when you listen to streaming bluetooth you are basically listening to 2 different destructive compressing techniques stacked on top of each other. Bluetooth does not stream your music file to the headunit in it's original format, it recodes it with this crappy ultra low bitrate native compression technology before transferring. So you end up listening to a music file that has been stripped of vital information twice by two different audio compression algorhythms. It's like listening to a low noise cassette tape copy of a cassette tape recording of a cd.

I'm always amazed beyond belief by people who think their bluetooth stream sounds 'great'. It just doesn't. The only way to make bluetooth streaming sound remotely decent is when both your source player (for example phone) AND the receiver (in this case the car's headunit) support the high end AptX bluetooth protocol, which uses a higher bitrate compression. However no OEM headunit that I know of has this and compatible phones are limited to a number of Samsung and HTC models. Apple doesn't support AptX either in any of their devices.

Regular bluetooth is great for making phone calls, but there should be a law against using it for streaming music.

http://www.aptx.com/

GThunder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT
Hahah I tried out satellite radio yesterday and immediately turned it off after my ears began to bleed from the poor quality. There is no way I would listen to any sort of music from a satellite broadcast. Maybe a talkshow, but even Howard Stern would be almost unbearable at that bitrate!
Sponsored