Sponsored

2015 Mustang Earns Five-Star Safety Rating [Updated with Crash Test Videos]

jrt6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 White Ford Mustang GT Premium, 6MT
Accident site pic...
That photo looks like your friend clipped the pole right in the corner of his car, just like what the IIHS small over lap test does. I'm glad to see the S550 faired well!

Elvis has a Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium Convertible 50 Years Edition
Incase anyone cares. The side sills for the S550's are a hot stamped material. Hot stamping is specifically designed for greater crash resistance. It take the material through an oven that is 150 feet long and reaches 1500 F. degrees. It is then formed in the die and rapidly cooled. This process achieves a very high Rockwell number. In fact the only thing capable of cutting it, is a laser. These are extremely hard and very durable and will save your hips from being crushed in a side impact. Hopefully no one ever needs this. I actually helped build this die and also maintain it here at a Magna plant in Bowling Green Ohio.

The amount of safety and engineering that went into this vehicle is pretty damn impressive.

:cheers:

bluefirestarter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue Mustang GT PP1 401a
I know a lot of people don't care about safety but this was def a deciding factor in the purchase of my 2015 EB. In early 2013 was on the interstate cruising in the middle lane at 75mph in my 98 Camry (don't hate at least it was a V6) and the guy beside me in Mustang punched it trying to over take my car in the slow lane. It was raining so of course the rear broke loose and he fishtailed the rear of his car in my front passenger side and sent me immediately over into the ditch.. Yeah that wasn't fun. 5 herniated discs in my back and months of physical therapy have made it so safety is a top priority for me.

Reactions: 113

Digital_Synapse

Mass Effect Field Expert
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triple Yellow Mustang GT PP
Honestly i think we have already known that after all of the crashed mustangs we have seen already, and the fact of minimal to no injuries in each.
This is why I'm alive and uninjured and was in another mustang within the week.

Sponsored

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
The IIHS has not tested small overlap or roof strength. We only know moderate overlap for the coupe/conv and side impact for the convertible.

Like all cars manufactured prior to 2010 the older Mustangs are not very safe.

For those people I have seen post here stating that they do not care about safety because they are good attentive drivers, check out this video about an accident that happened a few miles from my house last week:

http://kxan.com/2015/03/16/man-who-survived-deadly-lakeway-crash-shares-story/

This lady was sitting in a center turn lane when a Mitsubishi hit her 2006-2008 (not sure) Mustang convertible almost head on. Both drivers and one passenger did not make it unfortunately.
The IIHS should run the S550 through both small overlap and roof strength tests. Either of these are potential vulnerable spots when cruising undivided two-lane roads. Which is what this car is made to do. There is still a lot of cars out there that pass the moderate overlap, but flunk the small overlap.

http://jalopnik.com/watch-this-absolutely-brutal-crash-test-of-a-mazda-cx-9-1560931424
Watch This Absolutely Brutal Crash Test Of A Mazda CX-9

Unfortunately IIHS has posted on their website that they don't test "sports cars" because they think buyers of such cars are more concerned about performance than safety.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I care about infotainment
The IIHS should run the S550 through both small overlap and roof strength tests. Either of these are potential vulnerable spots when cruising undivided two-lane roads. Which is what this car is made to do. There is still a lot of cars out there that pass the moderate overlap, but flunk the small overlap.

http://jalopnik.com/watch-this-absolutely-brutal-crash-test-of-a-mazda-cx-9-1560931424
Watch This Absolutely Brutal Crash Test Of A Mazda CX-9

Unfortunately IIHS has posted on their website that they don't test "sports cars" because they think buyers of such cars are more concerned about performance than safety.
Despite lack of a full safety results from IIHS for the S550, what convinced me of the safety of these was actually watching the crash test videos. You can see that the cabin easily remains intact in all the test videos.

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
You never know when an accident will come at you. Several years ago, in front of my office building, a guy was stopped at a signal light behind an 18-wheeler. Another semi came up without stopping. The Highway Patrol had the guy's car flat-bed towed out to a wrecking yard to cut his body out his car. "Shades of James Bond"!

jrt6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 White Ford Mustang GT Premium, 6MT
Despite lack of a full safety results from IIHS for the S550, what convinced me of the safety of these was actually watching the crash test videos. You can see that the cabin easily remains intact in all the test videos.
A lot of cars do well in all of the crash tests except for the Small Overlap crash test the IIHS does.
Sponsored