2015 GT MT82 “bumps/lunges” when cruising around 2k RPM

shyttle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2014 Ram 1500, 2017 Toyota Highlander
So here’s the main issue. Whenever RPM is steady between 1800~2500 the car has a bump/lunge feel every 2~3 seconds. It only occurs when holding the throttle steady. Acceleration/deceleration/WOT are solid.

Background:
This is a 2015 GT MT82 non-PP with 33k miles. I purchased the car about 8 months ago with a few mods already done. It had a Cobra Jet intake with a GT500 throttle body, factory injectors, stock headers and straight piped when I purchased it. It was remotely tuned by a well known company (came with a SCT tuner, don’t want to name drop the tune company). I had the car inspected by a local mustang guy that was recommended by a few shops locally. Everything checked good and he noted the “bump” and mentioned that it was most likely the tune because the TB can be tricky to tune correctly. Nothing out of the ordinary noted while watching the dash gauges… AFR, etc… looked good (I know they are not the most accurate readings)

Fast forward a few months. I upgrade the exhaust to a Corsa Extreme and upgraded the suspension to Steeda Ultrlite springs with Pro-action struts/shocks. Once the car was lowered it felt like the “bump” had disappeared. I really don’t think it disappeared, I believe it was just covered up by the linear springs. Up until this point there were no local tuners for Fords but a reputable GM focused shop had recently started dyno tuning Coyotes so I decided to finally have it re-tuned to take care of the issue.

Re-tune got an additional 19 whp and a smoother torque curve compared to the original remote tune. However, the “bump” is much more noticeable now. I brought the car back to the tuner, assuming it had to be associated with the tune. They data logged the car while replicating the issue and noted that all data looks good and there is nothing happening in the engine that is causing the “bump”. They told me it is most likely driveline “slack” that I am feeling. To me, this doesn’t explain why it is more noticeable with a different tune unless more power = more “bump/lunging”? However, all my power gains were in the higher RPM range so it still doesn’t make sense to me.

Has anyone experienced what I am talking about? I have read post after post about clunking and lunging at low speeds while the car is cold but I haven’t experienced any of those specific issues. Only the slight bump/jerk/lunge while cruising no matter what the engine temp is. 35 MPH in 3rd gear is the where I really feel it but it is there in any gear while in the 1800-2500 rpm range. If I drive steady at 3k rpm, the issue is not present.

Could driveline slack actually cause what I am feeling? Any recommendations what to do from here, or do I just need to suck it up and live with it?
Sponsored

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
You're not getting any misfire codes right?

I'd check the spark plugs and make sure that they look healthy.

OP
OP
shyttle

shyttle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
No active codes.

There was a throttle position sensor mismatch code about a month after I purchased the car. I cant remember the specific number but I pulled & cleaned the TB and installed air/oil separators and haven't had that code again.

I had code P061B - Internal Control Module Torque Calculation Performance on the first 2nd gear WOT after the last tune was done. I cleaned the MAF sensor and connector and so far the code has stayed clear. Maybe just a coincidence it happened immediately after the tune? It was raining the day of the tune and apparently if water gets on the MAF sensor it can cause that code to throw. *shrug*

I will take a look at the plugs. Thanks for the advice!

I spoke to my Mustang mechanic that initially checked the car out for a bit last night. He is still convinced that it is the tune. Which makes more sense to me because it got worse with a different tune. If it were the driveline, the issue would be the same regardless of which tune I was running.?. Not to knock the shop that did the last tune but they are a GM shop and are very new to Fords. My mechanic mentioned the twin-blade TB can be a pain to get dialed in. Fortunately for me, my mech now has the HP tuner software and is willing to dig deeper.

Will update on any new findings.

onlyturbo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rony
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6spd, 2016 Audi S4 (Sold)., 2009 Subaru STI (Sold), 2003 SAAB Aero (Sold)
A bad crankcase positioning sensor could do that. Given that you had a code involving the CPS, maybe it is the sensor?

OP
OP
shyttle

shyttle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
Dropped it off at my mechanic today. He data logged the car and looked over the tune. The P061B code reappeared multiple times. Looks like the torque setting was not properly increased in the latest tune. It also looks like they calculated the Total Intake Volume higher than what Ford's numbers are for the manifold/throttle body combo. With that setting higher, whould the car expect more air than it is getting? And if so, maybe at lower RPM it is having to adjust for the less air flow and that may be what is causing the "bump"?

We didnt adjust the tune today. I didnt want to pay another $200 for a HP tuner credit. I reached out to the shop that performed the tune because they need to fix the torque code and will discuss the volume numbers with them. They may have a good reason for what they did... The car does scream at WOT... when it doesnt throw the code and go in to limp mode.
Sponsored