2015 F150 Sheds Over 700 LBS

JonnyMustang

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Flex EB
BtKBZnbCMAACFVE.jpg

Not too shabby...another reason to hold out for 2016/17 Mustang? Could we see weight savings like this coming soon?
Sponsored

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
Not without significant redesign, not likely to happen right after a clean-sheet new chassis. Keep in mind, F-150 is still BOF, with a steel structure. The bodywork that has been made aluminum is largely non load-bearing, in a structural sense. The Mustang, OTOH, is a unitized body construction. The bodywork is the structure. To have similar results, the body in white would have be changed from steel to aluminum, which means another complete redesign of the chassis. You can't just swap out materials in the existing design, its far more complicated than that. As it is, they've gone to making most of the removable panels aluminum. They might go further still, but it won't be to the extreme that F-150 has seen.

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
I thought I saw those 2 trucks were not the same configuration. The 2014 was a 4X4 V8 and the 2015 was a 2wd V6. Maybe I misunderstood.

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
That would certainly not be apples-apples if true. But I thought I'd read that the 700lb savings came in comparably-equipped Supercrew models. I guess we're waiting on more data from Ford on that one... :D

Sponsored

DHG1078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mustang Bullitt, 1985 Mustang Hatch
That would certainly not be apples-apples if true. But I thought I'd read that the 700lb savings came in comparably-equipped Supercrew models. I guess we're waiting on more data from Ford on that one... :D
Ford did say on comparably-equipped supercrew models. I think it said the single cab short bed models lost like 500 or something along those lines.

OP
OP
JonnyMustang

JonnyMustang

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Flex EB
Can the S550 really hold out 10 years against CAFE standards? Seems like if body size doesn't give...engines will. Probably why they want to sell as many EBs as humanly possible.

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
Can the S550 really hold out 10 years against CAFE standards? Seems like if body size doesn't give...engines will. Probably why they want to sell as many EBs as humanly possible.
Yep, enjoy the engine while they're here. As the head at Dodge said: "If you missed the first Muscle Car Era...don't miss this one"

I tend to read between the lines but even rational people cant honestly think all these 400+ HP cars are going to be around much longer. It could be 15 years, could be 2.

The industry I work in is dependent, as is my job on ridiculously cheap natural gas. The industry tends to take the short money not concerned with long term relationships, I have to face the end user everyday but they even understand that when it hits the fan it ain't gonna be pretty. There is going to be a lot of private investments being made today that will never generate the return. When it becomes more expensive to fuel your reason you get mothballed.
Sponsored