Sponsored

2015-2016 Tech Pack and Base GT350 Cooler Solution Discussion

Ctease

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I think the argument that if you bought a Tech or Base model, you got what you paid for because you should have bought the R or Track if you planned on tracking your car is flawed, for ONE reason. Guys are hitting limp mode on the street. Un%$@$acceptable!
I'll bite! I'll give you a bad guy to hate and a chance to cry it out.

I have several friends with base models w/o cooler. None have hit limp mode on the street even in 105+ heat. They're not the type to break traffic laws by more than 10 mph so that's 80 total in Houston area.

I wonder what truck guys do when trans overheats while towing and they didn't buy towing package with trans cooler? Think my towing package included trans cooler & hitch. They were willing to sell me only a hitch for half. Heck it's a truck advertised to have better towing than any previous model and better towing than competitors.
Sponsored

ghig302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss

I have several friends with base models w/o cooler. None have hit limp mode on the street even in 105+ heat. They're not the type to break traffic laws by more than 10 mph so that's 80 total in Houston area.

I wonder what truck guys do when trans overheats while towing and they didn't buy towing package with trans cooler? Think my towing package included trans cooler & hitch. They were willing to sell me only a hitch for half. Heck it's a truck advertised to have better towing than any previous model and better towing than competitors.
What if you were the guy with the Base that had to pull over to the side of the road because you went into limp mode. It happens....and shouldn't!

Ctease

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I am happy to update the first post with all the cooling options that are currently available. It will make things easier for owners finding this thread for the first time. If someone could send me an organized list of the options I'll post them.
Probably more. Just what I found after few minutes of research.

-Transmission Cooler Air Scoop ($220-300 parts)
-aftermarket trans cooler, lines, fittings, electric pump ($500-1,200 parts)
-OEM track pack cooler kit and track pack transmission (msrp $5,500 parts)

?-OEM cooler or aftermarket kit and Tremec pump & misc parts and machine work to front cover/bell-housing. ($600-1,500 parts)

Ctease

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
What if you were the guy with the Base that had to pull over to the side of the road because you went into limp mode. It happens....and shouldn't!
Hard to comment on a hypothetical. Tell me that did that guy actually do? I can say, I probably wouldn't hangout on forums for years and years complaining. I would probably find a solution and then help others.

Sponsored

Steve68

Mr. Robot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2018 Jeep JLUR, 2020 F-150
And that's all I need...

picture.jpg

Oh, and this transmission, and that's all I need.

OH, and this cooler kit from FRPP, and that's all I need.

This duct, this transmission and this cooler kit from FRPP and that's all I need.

[ame]

I sure hope it works.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Look I get what you're saying. But you are over exaggerating this. That's like saying every boss 302 can't shift above 5000 rpm like you said. Maybe it's the driver.
You're not going to hit limp mode in normal street driving following traffic laws and a few romps.

Lexluther

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350
I would not expect a base, or tech driven as a DD to last in warm climates without an aggressive maint schedule. I will change my fluid every spring. In Summer my transmission lives at 220-260ish degrees. My only hope is Voodoo helping me retrofit the coolers. Zero dealers want a tech pack. Every trade situation has been an extreme low-ball. I don't have the wealth to lose several K on my 2016, then turn around and pay top dollar for a new 2017. At least Chevy appears to have gotten their cooler issues fixed with their high performance line.
I would also be careful which oil you use. Several years back Castrol marketed synthetic oil which used highly refined base stock oil aka regular oil not man made. Mobil 1 sued for false advertising. The judge ruled that there was sufficient similarities between highly refined base stock oil and man made synthetic oil that it was not false advertising.

Ever since than Mobil-1 has had the different mileage grades of their oils based upon how refined the base stock oil was and all marketed them all as synthetic. The additive pkgs have also been removed to prolong catalytic converter life to gain a CJ-4 rating which another long story.

How that applies to is is like this. A good friend of mine who has 6 engineering degree's works at Flextronics who sponsor the GT porsche racing team. The feedback from the the team and engine builders at Porsche was that they would go through no more than 3-4 engines a season and ran Redline oil. Than all of a sudden the engine wouldn't make it through the 2nd race. They called up Redline oil and the above was mentioned. Their base stock although still synthetic was of a lower grade and the additive pkg was removed. Porsche engineers advised the race teams to switch to Swepco oil which was not synthetic but provide the requirements needed.

If you go with aftermarket oil make sure it has the Ford spec certified so if the trans goes out Ford doesn't blame the oil and not warranty your transmission.

Also check the spec on the motorcraft oil since its now being used across a wider base there could be a change or product split you wouldn't know about and again stuck with an expensive bill. Thats is assuming your changing your own oil if the dealer is doing it than its on them..

Agree with you on chevy I had an engine pop in a new stingray I bought. That took many many lemon law suits at one point my attorney had 5 vette cases running at the same time. There were also some class actions that steered them straight and bad publicity from journalist popping engines while test driving for articles. The Camaro team got it right and the corvette team took some of that engineering and fixed the vettes. Even Ron Fellow the official corvette drivers school reported that 4 core aluminum radiators couldn't keep them cool on their track and it was an engineering flaw. There wasn't enough heat extraction since the styling guys yelled louder than the engineers. The vette was as the shelby "track ready"! But suffered drivability issues when pushed.

The main problem with our tech cars is that 8,000 cars are required by federal law for a recall so Ford is under no pressure. They fixed the 2017's and 3k upset owners is not enough of a concern to go back and correct.

The second issue is that they've effectively cornered owners since adding a track trans voids the powertrain warranty since it didn't leave the factory that way and since Ford Racing is considered a separate entity thus its still an unapproved part simply by means of supply and not spec.

All Ford needs to do is approve the track trans as an authorized accessory by offering it in the catalog and that would solve half the problem. Ford Racing has already prioritized current Shelby owners on their waiting list..

Ctease

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
And that's all I need...

picture.jpg

This duct, this transmission and this cooler kit from FRPP and that's all I need.

I sure hope it works.
So did the parts work for you? Instead of trying to rally the herd against an evil outsider. Where is your list to help the community?

Oh never mind constructive stuff. We're all still waiting for you to honor "stop feeding the trolls" post.

ghig302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss
That's like saying every boss 302 can't shift above 5000 rpm like you said. Maybe it's the driver.

Not the driver, it is well known on the Boss forums. A lot of guys get the MGW shifter, a blowfish bracket, etc. I have heard some have success with one, with both, with other things, but no definitive "fix." It is high RPM shift lockout from a crap transmission that should be limited to Fusions.

Sponsored

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
And that's all I need...

picture.jpg

I sure hope it works.
I am about 500 miles into my swap. The transmission runs cool. Very cool. You will not have any further concerns

VOODOO 6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I think the argument that if you bought a Tech or Base model, you got what you paid for because you should have bought the R or Track if you planned on tracking your car is flawed, for ONE reason. Guys are hitting limp mode on the street. Un%$@$acceptable!
This is spot on. I've never tracked my car and probably never will. My car has hit limp mode on a 60 degree day with only spirited driving. To be honest only mildly spirited, I've driven my diesel dually just as hard with no issue.

Like I said before, I'm going to fix it myself, when I have time. Whenever that will be. The shame is the fact that I have to.

milner_7

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.highdefinitionautodetail.ca
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue
Vehicle Showcase
"sustained high speeds or track use" I will never track my car, that's not why I bought it. Spirited back roads yes, unless you drive like your in a race on the street I highly doubt us Tech Pack guys have anything to worry about. Even if the tranny is hot our butts will be cool in cooled leather seats :)

VOODOO 6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
"sustained high speeds or track use" I will never track my car, that's not why I bought it. Spirited back roads yes, unless you drive like your in a race on the street I highly doubt us Tech Pack guys have anything to worry about. Even if the tranny is hot our butts will be cool in cooled leather seats :)
Read the post above yours. I assure you the driving that day was really not that spirited. 4 cars just cruising some winding curving roads, roll in the throttle for a few of them, then just cruise for a while, roll in the throttle..... bam, limp mode.

VOODOO 6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350

Can you tell me what the "track mode" on my car is for, since it can't be tracked.... Hell for that matter why bother with the big ass brakes, the awesome suspension, or the high reving, high horsepower 5.2 Voodoo..... shoulda just slapped some stripes and badges on it.

I think the thing you guys are missing here is that some of us, like me, have no intentions of tracking our cars but I sure would think if I showed up somewhere at an open track day that my "Sophisticated Performer" could run a few laps without having an issue. Yea, I wouldn't expect to be able to run it like we do the cars at the Track Attack but seriously, couldn't even run a few laps????

I don't know why I bother posting here. Someone will just come on and tell me I'm wrong or whining about the situation even though I have made it very clear I'll be fixing mine......
Sponsored