2005 Mustang GT -Question about heads

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; A 2005 GT is for sale locally. I looked up the engine specs to see if there is any reason to avoid this years V8. Found the following link.

2005 Mustang Engine Information & Specs - 281 Modular V8 (4.6 L) (mustangspecs.com)

This says the 4.6 has heads from the three valve 5.4 engine. If memory serves that in the head with problematic spark plug threads in the heads. Not enough threads so the plugs sometimes blow out.

I am specifically asking about this issue but welcome any observation on a 2005 Mustang GT.
Sponsored

OP
OP
sk47

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Ford 5.4 L V-8 Engine History and Cylinder Heads Replacement (cylinder-heads.com)

Hello; Did some more looking. Found the above link. Mentions cm phasing, head gasket and weak threads issues of the 5.4 heads. Has a list of vehicles using the heads, but the mustang is not mentioned.

"Bolted to the top of the aluminum block was a pair of new cylinder heads that were taken from the 5.4-litre Triton truck engine. These aluminum three valve-per-cylinder heads allowed the engine to breath better at high engine speeds since they allowed the incoming air a more direct, port-style path to the two intake valves. The new heads allowed engineers to raise the compression ratio to 9.8:1 while still being able to safely run on regular grade fuel. Operating the valves was the camshaft lifted directly from the 5.4 Triton engine along with another innovation that was a first for any Mustang; Variable Camshaft Timing."

Hello; I think I will pass on this local Mustang based on the sort of information I find so far. I have known a guy who had a 5.4 and the spark plug issue.

17gt07

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
87 Grand Marquis, 02 gt, 07 gt, 17 gt
It was the 2v heads that spit spark plugs out. 05-early 08 3v heads use a 2 piece spark plug that breaks off into the head upon removal. Not a big deal as Lisle has an extractor tool that can be used in car. Switching to 1 piece plugs fixes that.
Sponsored