Sponsored

2 year review. 17 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 lightning blue Mustang GT
I was scared of this too thats why i decided to only do suspension mods no engine, i dont really need more power at the track anyways, anyhow if u stick to suspension stuff toull be fine and if u have a base gt like mine you really want to concentrate on suspension cuz they ride like a boat on stock stuff.
I'll agree with you on that. Lowering springs are definitely in my immediate future. The wheels and tires made a big difference too. I went up to 19"x 10" wheels and 285 square set up. I made the car feel planted better im the turns
Sponsored

Caballito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
Oh
I'll agree with you on that. Lowering springs are definitely in my immediate future. The wheels and tires made a big difference too. I went up to 19"x 10" wheels and 285 square set up. I made the car feel planted better im the turns
Ohh nice, what wheels u get if dont mind me asking cuz am actually looking for some that are strong enough for track and wide enough which 285 is definitely wide enough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 lightning blue Mustang GT
Oh

Ohh nice, what wheels u get if dont mind me asking cuz am actually looking for some that are strong enough for track and wide enough which 285 is definitely wide enough
I got the GT350R reproductions from LMR. I bought wheel and tire package

Sponsored

stang-man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GTPP
Couldn't be happier with mine.

carguy231

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Here's my review:
I have a '17 GT, PP, 6-speed, leather Recaros, in Magnetic. Just about 9800 on it, and bought it 12/30/16. It has been pretty much perfect from day one. Had a windshield cracked by a stone, replaced with real Ford glass. Added an aftermarket body-color CS-style wing myself [which has a real function: It's a lot easier to put the cover on even in a breeze... LOL]. Daily driver, and I dust it and cover it at work, here in SoCal.

Did a black Pypes axle back. Kept the stock airbox and just removed the internal baffle [dremel] and added a stock location K&N to avoid the higher intake temps the open element setups always seem to experience. Opened all of the grille honeycombs on the back side at the air intake only and added a Velossa air scoop there. Picked up a few plastic underhood dress ups and hood struts. That's it.

I went to this from my beloved '05 Legend Lime Mustang GT [more than 205k on the stock 4.6 engine, 5-speed and clutch] that I ordered and bought new, and that car is still in the family with my son driving it. Suspension improvements, dyno-tuned and intake, axleback Pypes. Took that car to the 1/8ths once and the 1/4s once. It performed a bit better than expected [beat an '06 Shelby GTH and some older muscle, got spanked by an SRT Jeep, LOL].

The '17 is a great car, and I love driving it and I love looking at it. My 87 turbo Regal is probably a bit quicker off the line, but that's it. I've seriously considered adding a supercharger, perhaps the new Edelbrock, but here in Kalifornia, the smog police are just too much of a PITA. I've considered a set of narrow 'outlaw' stripes on the body lines, but haven't done it yet. It is not a small or light car, and that is why it feels solid, handles well and is a still pretty comfortable and just a joy to drive. The Recaro seats were a pricey option, to delete all the bells and whistles of the 'base' heated and powered seats, but the shape fits me perfectly, so I had to have them.

The PP gives the slightly better cooling with the bigger radiator, an additional cooler, the Brembos in front, some suspension improvement and the black staggered wheel setup, along with the center mounted oil pressure gauge and useless vacuum gauge along with the switching for driving modes. The PP deleted that little wing, so it left room for the wing I like [mentioned above]. I like this car a lot and haven't regretted it for a second. Never used the line lock and have not been to the track with it, but it has a lot of low end power, which is really evident at 3k or so, which is what I love. Wider rear rubber would be much better, and I'll do that as soon as the original tires are finished and that traction improvement will help with those 'squirrelly' left turns going thru intersections.

Anyway, I only drive a handful of miles on the freeway each morning, and I love the car's power and sure-footedness. I only drive in 'track' mode which really just turns off the traction control and stiffens the steering a bit.

The only thing I don't love is the fob: It is far too thick. The alarm button is stupidly located and needlessly sensitive and the trunk release should open by holding it down [like Hyundai's]. And I wish the speedo and tach travel was closer to 270-degrees like the original performance Mustangs were.

Boss Bandit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT (Lightning Blue), 1998 Camaro SS
Sounds positive all around.

I have a '17 base GT with the 6-speed manual, no Performance Package, and the black accent package. The car is currently packed away for winter, and sadly she was hit on the street the day I was putting it away. Driver sped off before I could get plate numbers, so my insurance gets to foot the bill (which means my premium will rise). I opted to tuck it away and get it fixed up in the spring when the weather breaks so that I don't have to drive it around in the snow, and so that I can research my options. Yay for cooperative body shops. I do plan on having some cosmetic mods done when the day comes, as I may as well make the most of a bad situation.

Other than that, 23k miles and zero issues. I have a 50 mile commute 6 days a week, so I'm piling on the mileage until I can move closer to work. Like many others, I've had to replace the crappy thin windshield within the first month of ownership due to a rock chip, and have had to have another chip repaired on the new one. The glass is super weak compared to older cars I've had, as is the paint, both on the car itself and the wheels. Those are really my only two complaints about the car. Other people may complain of bumper gaps, but that stuff doesn't bother me on a 30k muscle car. Seats show almost no wear, and neither does the steering wheel.

The stock Pirelli tires are just about shot, so they'll get replaced in spring as well. I never really cared for them. I'm itching for a set of P51s with some quality rubber, but its not currently in my budget.

All in all, I've never regretted buying this car. Its the first brand new car I've ever owned, and a major upgrade to the 20 year old 90s GM heaps I was previously rolling around in. The keyless entry and start tech, along with the instant pairing with my phone are just great. I found that the clutch pedal felt strange in the beginning, so I swapped it with the Steeda spring, which was a great improvement. Added a Ford Performance oil separator just for that extra insurance, and a 50 Years faux gas cap decklid panel.

I have a massive list of mods in mind for the car but not enough time and money. Mind you, these aren't mods I consider crucial, since the car is great as is; its all just stuff that I think looks cool or would make it more fun. Truth is, the car could remain in its near-stock configuration forever and I'd be fine with it. I guess that says it all right there.

Reactions: A7X

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I’m just at 5900 miles on my Black 17 GT Roush Phase 2 and love it. I have a manual with 3:55 gears and wish it had 3:31’s for my application so that’s the only thing I don’t care for. I love my Roush Axle Back with Steeda H-Pipe set up, sounds awesome! Got BMR Rear Vertical Links & BMR IRS Cradle Lockout Kit which got rid of almost all the dreaded wheel hop. Roush Hood Vents, MMD V Series Rear Spoiler & Side Scoops. Just waiting on my CDC Outlaw Chin Spoiler and I think I’m set..,,, Nope got some power upgrades for the Roush Phase 2 coming soon.
Sponsored