2.0 Fusion/ST block question

RiderX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
M
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang
I had an head gasket problem my EB recently. The engine is dissembled and I’m thinking about rebuilding with 2.0 block.
Do I need to modify the block? If yes what details.
Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I had an head gasket problem my EB recently. The engine is dissembled and I’m thinking about rebuilding with 2.0 block.
The best way to do this is to give Jesse Ringley a call and get his least expensive short block. You could do the junkyard thing, but, if you're this deep into it, you might as well do it right. As far as I know, he's doing some of the best work out there.

https://engineeredmotorsportsolutions.com/

TurboNub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
The best way to do this is to give Jesse Ringley a call and get his least expensive short block. You could do the junkyard thing, but, if you're this deep into it, you might as well do it right. As far as I know, he's doing some of the best work out there.

https://engineeredmotorsportsolutions.com/
Cant go wrong with this, been hearing he is nearing 1k whp with his build.

OP
OP
RiderX

RiderX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
M
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang
Thanks, but I’m not from US. I’m looking for required part, block changes or tutorials to do with my mechanic.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, but I’m not from US. I’m looking for required part, block changes or tutorials to do with my mechanic.
In that case, you would be looking for the 2.0L block which is a closed-deck block as opposed to the 2.3L one, which is open. In the US, the 2.0 comes commonly in the Ford Fusion. You'll have to find the best option locally. As far as the rotating assembly, I'd buy it from EMS. You're just not going to be able to duplicate their work for the cost of the shipping. Get the head studs, crank, rods, pistons & bearings and put them in your locally sourced and machined block. If that's just impossible, I guess it's try to buy factory Focus RS internals, but that's a big step down.

Panda Spec-H 2.0 Block_1.jpg

Closed deck

Last edited:

Sponsored

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
/

Last edited:

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
I can't tell you what modifications you will need to make to the 2nd generation 2.0 block, but other than the semi closed deck, which I've been told reduces movement of the cylinders when the engine is over heated, it is similar to the 2.3 block. The big advantage (IMHO) of going with a "built block" is the forged internals. They increase the possibility of survival, when preignition/detonation occur.
If you have a good 2.3 block, Jessie sells (and ships) forged rods and pistons. If they aren't on his website, send him an email!
Open deck

images (2).jpeg
Just wondering, if you or any one else, has seen or read about the Ecobreast create motor from Ford Performance? I know it's equiped with different pistons, rods and crank, but does it still use the same 2.3 open deck block?

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Just wondering, if you or any one else, has seen or read about the Ecobreast create motor from Ford Performance? I know it's equiped with different pistons, rods and crank, but does it still use the same 2.3 open deck block?
I'm almost certain that's still open deck.

elkwood

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Elkwood
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
I'm almost certain that's still open deck.

From what i can it has Cooling jacket inserts for added strength.

The Ford Performance 2.3L EcoBeast shortblock is an excellent starting point for a Mustang EcoBoost or Focus RS engine build-up.

• Focus RS block w/Mustang motor mount bosses (can be removed for RS installation)
  • Deck cooling jacket insert for additional bore strength
  • Callies lightened forged crankshaft (9 lbs lighter than stock) - Cryogenic stress relieved w/added keyway
  • Callies Compstar H-beam connecting rods w/ARP2000 rod bolts
  • Mahle forged 2618 pistons - 9.5:1 compression ratio
  • Includes: oil pump and chaindrive, damper w/keyway, damper bolt, oil filter, head gasket
  • Tested to 500hp and 415 ft/lb of torque
  • Fits 2015-2022 Mustang 2.3L and 2016-2018 Focus RS
Recommended oil pick-up tubes/oil pan:

• Mustang - LR3Z-6622-A pick-up tube / FR3Z-6675-B oil pan
  • Focus RS - EJ7Z-6622-A pick-up tube / G1FZ-6675-B oil pan

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
From what i can it has Cooling jacket inserts for added strength.

The Ford Performance 2.3L EcoBeast shortblock is an excellent starting point for a Mustang EcoBoost or Focus RS engine build-up.

• Focus RS block w/Mustang motor mount bosses (can be removed for RS installation)
  • Deck cooling jacket insert for additional bore strength
You can ask all the Eco engine builders how the jacket inserts work compared to the closed deck block. This is not a new idea. They went through this with the Mazda 2.3's and the early Eco's. There's a reason why you don't see them offering it. It's a seriously lacking option in strength compared to the 2.0 block. The Ford engineers only went to 500 HP, which is not even a particularly good NX2 build. Ringley is north of 800 and, frankly, a better engineer than damn near any you'll find in Dearborn. He also doesn't have anyone telling him what he can and cannot do.
Sponsored