Sponsored

1st HDPE track day feedback

lilgdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Never had a real track day until this weekend. I have run my other cars in drag races and autox (C5 vette, e39 M5), but never a track day so take my feedback for whats it worth, just a beginners opinion.

Ran at mid-Ohio this past weekend, each session was about 20minutes, ran 4 sessions, here is what I noticed.
1) The stock 2015 GT PP is more amazing that I expected on the track, the stock PP suspension does its job well, I never felt I needed more or a firmer suspension, there was a stock 2016 GT PP there also that ran same class as me, and stayed with the miatas on the track, its the driver that matters more, for as much as I thought the PP feels shitty on the street, it felt great on track and changed my mind about it totally and the extremes it can handle
2) no real need for an upgrade of the suspension in our cars to make them competitive I think, I even went for a ride in a time trial '13 mustang gt that was stock suspension minus a set of koni yellows and stock motor, it was amazing, he did have race seats thank god, thought my internal organs would have escaped if it weren't for the 5 pt belt and sparcos
3) factory fill oil 5/20 got a little heated, but not bad, ran below yellow area on oil gauge just fine would say at 65/70%, water temps never got above 55% mark, anything more than a 20 minute session I would run heavier oil like a 5/30 full synthetic instead of semi-synthetic 5/20, don't need anything too heavy in my opinion unless staying on track longer.
4) need better seats, the stock seats suck on track, I was skirming around and holding myself in position with my knee and had to hold more to the steering wheel to keep myself positioned well
4) miatas are insane in the twisties, C7 vettes, forgetta bout it
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty cool, eh? The PP cars do really well at that type of event.

I have put in a set of Schroth Rallye 4 ASM belts, because yeah the stock seats can be really tiresome trying to hold yourself in place for +1G turns and braking for 20 minutes at a time. Upgraded seats would be better, but the belts get the job done well enough.

I had few complaints with the stock spring and shocks, and after upgrading to Konis, the car didn't really get much faster at the track (maybe for transitions). The stock parts do pretty well for Track days.

As for Miatas and good drivers, "Its the Indian, not the arrow." I used to drive a modified Miata at the track, and thoroughly enjoyed terrorizing 911s and the occasional badly-driven Vette.

OP
OP

lilgdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I had a set of schrotch in my GTI in college, great belt, but my GTI also had recaros and I weighed about 40lbs less. I loved that car, I handed many an early nineties vette and mustang their ass in that car, of course, I was young and dumb and didn't think I could die either so used to take all sorts of risks I would never take now.

The other thing I should mention is in the past with my cars the stock tires and brakes were suspect, not in the moostang (what my son calls my car because its big), hes an import kid, STi and evo's are his thing.

The pp brakes were simply wonderful and it surprised me how good the pirellis were compared to my cars in the past, the c5 vette like driving on ice with the stock goodyears, I would slid around everywhere, it was fun though just steer with the throttle, its where I learned to drift around turns and scare my passenger and the stock dunlops on the m5 were nothing to write home about. The pirellis hot were a treat, I did push some through tight left handiers with the staggered setup, but never really crossed that line where I needed more than I had, I don't want to chance wrecking a car I am making payments on that is still in warranty after all.

I am even more convinced for the money, our cars are a steal for what you get.

M3Convert

American Muscle Noob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
I just installed a Scroth QuickFit Pro that has made a big difference and it is cool you just bolt in two tethers.
I also have fitted seat covers (the leather is thin) that helps keep you centered.

Another trick is to use volleyball knee pads on the sides of your knees. They are much more comfortable to brace against and help keep your feet more centered over the pedals while pushing against the trim. [You need baggier pants to hide them so you don't look like a douche.]

If you think the PP suspension is good, think about the FRPP Track Pack Suspension. Great value for a DD that goes to the track occasionally. Doesn't ruin the ride DD, but makes the car a lot more stable on the track.

Sponsored

Gatorac

Chin Tack Days Event Mgr
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GTPP Triple Yellow
Mid Ohio is one of my favorite tracks. A real workout for a heavy car. One of those tracks that negates the horsepower advantage and rewards good handling and a good driver.

Glad you fun. Bring it to Watkins Glen sometime. Much better Mustang track and the grip is at least 4 times as good as Mid O. A real epic lap.

OP
OP

lilgdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Coming out of the key hole into the back straight I would easily clear 120 by the time I made the right side cone by the Kink, (after 120 I stopped looking at the speedo to concentrate on the cars in front of me)but alas, I wasn't ballsie enough to shift to 5th, so stayed pegged out in 4th all the way to braking zone to enter madness where I would scrub off a lot of speed in that turn.

I did notice once the car unloaded from coming out of the the key hole in that back straight and I was unwound (correct term?) and I was going past 120 the car "lightened" up.

I have a problem letting off gas to early (coasting) when getting close to the braking zone on the back straight, too many years driving my cage on the street I guess. It was afterall my first track day. I did learn how good late braking and hitting a late apex does, wow, amazed how good the car is with that.

Never timed myself. But I wasn't that fast but I did beat an m3 and keep pulling from him in corners until he spun out and I also surprised a miata owner who came up afterwards to my coach to say how surprised he was I caught him, passed him, and keep pulling from him lap after lap

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Coming out of the key hole into the back straight I would easily clear 120 by the time I made the right side cone by the Kink, (after 120 I stopped looking at the speedo to concentrate on the cars in front of me)but alas, I wasn't ballsie enough to shift to 5th, so stayed pegged out in 4th all the way to braking zone to enter madness where I would scrub off a lot of speed in that turn.

I did notice once the car unloaded from coming out of the the key hole in that back straight and I was unwound (correct term?) and I was going past 120 the car "lightened" up.

I have a problem letting off gas to early (coasting) when getting close to the braking zone on the back straight, too many years driving my cage on the street I guess. It was afterall my first track day. I did learn how good late braking and hitting a late apex does, wow, amazed how good the car is with that.

Never timed myself. But I wasn't that fast but I did beat an m3 and keep pulling from him in corners until he spun out and I also surprised a miata owner who came up afterwards to my coach to say how surprised he was I caught him, passed him, and keep pulling from him lap after lap
Yeah, my friends all asked speeds here, speeds there, and I was thinking, why the heck would you be looking down on the back straight!!! To satisfy them, I looked down 1 lap out of 8 sessions and fed them a speed.

I want to do another one this year so bad, but we were given a travel trailer and I dropped 2 full track day weekends worth of cash prepping our trailblazer to tow it :frusty:

Are you as hooked as I am?

CNTLOSE

It is what it is...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/PP
That is great to hear you had fun and the car performed better than expected. I'm picking up my 2017 GT PP in a week or so and planned on going to Mid-Ohio next year. I use to do some Solo II years ago, but that was in a heavily modified 240z.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
[MENTION=22413]Optimum Performance[/MENTION] others have feedback like you. they love the stock PP setup on road courses.

Sponsored

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
I do not believe there is another car on the market at real street pricing and endless availability that comes close to touching the GT PP on a roadcourse bone stock. It is an exceptional car and it's limitations force better driving so it is an excellent training car when paired with a good instructor that understands the dynamics of the New Mustang Chassis.

Tire and Brakes..and better seats. Dump the staggered set-up and go square with $30 camber bolts and leave everything else alone. It will improve the cars balance immensely.

Welcome to the Stock PP Club :first:

BTM

I redline at 11,000rpm
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Thunder Roadster GT-R / ST3
Yeah, my friends all asked speeds here, speeds there, and I was thinking, why the heck would you be looking down on the back straight!!! To satisfy them, I looked down 1 lap out of 8 sessions and fed them a speed.
Download Harry's Lap Timer (Petrolhead version) for $20 on your phone. It will record your accelerometer readings, track position, speeds, and overlay it on video (mine is from the phone itself, but you could link up a GoPro for better quality). No need to look down! Awesome learning tool.

Looks like this:

Sock

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 6spd PP Magnetic
Download Harry's Lap Timer (Petrolhead version) for $20 on your phone. It will record your accelerometer readings, track position, speeds, and overlay it on video (mine is from the phone itself, but you could link up a GoPro for better quality). No need to look down! Awesome learning tool.

Looks like this:
If you do a Harrys lap timer invest in at least a 10 Gh external Bluetooth antenna. They are good for baseline comparisons but not very accurate on speeds or lap times. If you really get into it invest in an Aim Solo. Other then that, I am glad you enjoyed the track, it is the most fun you can have with your clothes on! If you think stock is good, as you progress, you will really be blown away by a properly set up S550.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
changed my PP suspension to BMR minimum drops and koni shocks, feels way better than PP. I've been on track with the PP but not with the new suspension. Going a square setup will also neutralize the car away from understeer
Sponsored