Sponsored

1st track day, no driving modes and TC ON?

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
Heading to my first track day next weekend. I've received several email updates from the group putting it on and the last one they recommend keeping traction control on and not using any of the drive modes.
I don't have a problem with TC but I have heard it will burn up my rear brake pads.
I'm driving a stock 15 GT premium automatic. It's my DD and I always drive in Sport mode as Normal is way too sluggish. For the track I also want to take advantage of Sport mode with TC on with holding gears longer and rev-matching downshifts.
Whats been everyone else's experience?
Sponsored

zxd9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
I've heard an instructor say that he prefers new students use traction control. That way you can learn the limits without getting in serious trouble. I would think Sport mode would be OK since that still has traction control on.

Matt P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I'm hitting an SCCA track night in a few weeks, first time on a road course, but I've done quite a few autocross's. I plane on Sport Mode for sure.

Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
You forgot the most important thing about going to the track," your times".

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Here's what I'd recommend:
1. First session, all the nannies on while you settle in and get comfortable with the track
2. Second session turn TC off and see how it goes
3. Third session, turn all that shit off and use your right foot for TC and control

Matt P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Do you guys know if with fuser 62 pulled the ABS still works?

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Run with Stability Control on if you need to for your own comfort or safety margins, or if your instructor recommends it for you personally. Using it will slow down your learning curve for car control, but there is a lot to absorb at your first track day and it's not important to absorb everything at once. Stability control can save your ass from inexperience or bad habits.

down the road tho, consider turning it off, but there is no particular rush.

Sponsored

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Do you guys know if with fuser 62 pulled the ABS still works?
I believe it still does, but to be honest I have not had to make a full on panic stop yet to see if it still works or not.

OP
OP
Rickycardo

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
I got an email back from the instructor. He said Sport + was fine and recommended leaving TC on for the first session. After that it depends on what I and the instructor riding with me are good with.

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I think it is important to differentiate between TC and AdvanceTrac, as well.

OP
OP
Rickycardo

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
I think it is important to differentiate between TC and AdvanceTrac, as well.
True. To be specific I plan to run in Sport+ mode with advanc-trac on. Then as I progress move to Track mode. Track mode still have a little of the nannies working but is much more "racy".

chedder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2017 Raptor SC, 2016 custom crew cab
As an instructor I request beginning students leave all nannies on. The first day you won't be pushing the traction threshold all that much. If you do it will be the front brakes that save your ass. At first drive slower to learn the line, turn in, apex and exit. As you exit the turn you will unwind the steering wheel and then accelerate. The instructor will be talking you thru each corner. As the day progresses you will know the line and then start to go faster. Depending on how fast you learn you may end up playing hard after your third or fourth day. The idea is to not scare the instructor or damage the car. Tack days are addictive so beware. Everyone going fast in the same direction.
Sponsored