Sponsored

'19 oem steering wheel leather texture question.

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ShadowBlack GT Premium401a, PP1, ActiveExhaust
I wanted to know if people who own 19+ can answer this qusstion.

Is the steering wheel leather smooth or textured?

I have had '15 and "17 EB since new and the steering wheel leather was very heavily textured (I thought for a non-slippinesss.

I test drive a '19 GT PP1, and noticed that the steering wheel leather was really smooth, almost exactly like the leather on the manual shifter knob.

Is this normal?

Also, my "15 &'17 had chrome accents (door pulls, shifter boot trim bezel, cupholder accents. But brushed nickel like finish on the steering whe.

The '19 I see today looked like all the "metal" parts had the brushed "soft" metal look, which actually looks closer to the brushed look on the steering wheel.

Is this intentional or is this car just really dirty?
Sponsored

OP
OP
pyrophilus

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My '20 is smooth leather
Thank you for your answer.

My 17' interior (had since new) still looks drove off dealer lot brand new. People wash their mustangs too much? I go step further and clean nooks and crannies on my fish, steering wheels, doors...

The '19 interior was really dirty (nothing I guess a good clean won't cure), but I almost had a thought of swapping steering wheels if the smooth leather was smooth because it was worn down.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
The steering wheel on my 19’ is much nicer than the on I had on my 15’. Smooth leather and a little thicker. Would love to have a Beith wheel one day but can’t bring myself to spend $800 on a steering wheel.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The 2018 model year brought in the smooth leather steering wheel and the changes in the metal trim parts.

Sponsored

NicksGTR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost
2019 here, very smooth steering wheel. Not very fond of the feel, too slick.

NicksGTR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost
That’s the oil from you skin. Give it a good cleaning and conditioning. The slickness will be gone.
Will try that, the dealership probably did a job on the wheel when detailing. Dealerships love Amorall.

Sponsored
OP
OP
pyrophilus

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree, if my hands are dry I sometimes have a bit of trouble holding it.
Not sure why companies do that. I kinda like the grippy steering wheel on my 15&17.

I had a 2010 genesis coupe which also had textured leather steering wheel. All I remember is car reviews going off on how tough that leather was, one article said, "I would hate to eat the steak that came from the cow that the steering wheel's leather came from". Sure enough hyundai changed the leather to super smooth leather.

I get that luxury vehicles have buttery soft, smooth leather for everything, but I felt like the textured leather had its place on steering wheels of sport coupes.

I am sure I'll get used to it. But I liked how ford initially sourced two different types of leather for shifter knob and the steering.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The leather on the steering wheel of my ex-2018 F-150 Platinum was better than on the Bullitt, and smoother, but it's not that bad on the Bullitt... but I wouldn't say it's great :).

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
It was too smooth for my taste but I do know that a lot of people like that type of wheel.