Sponsored

[?] '18 Intake Manifold on '15-'17

Einar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP pack
I recently watch the video, VMP did on manifold comparison on a 2nd coyote.

My conclusion from that, was that the Ported 18 seems to the "best bang for the buck" for a 100% street use.
Justin Starkey also said that he felt the 2nd gen coyote motor should be reved to 7500 rpm as it is kinda designed for that.

As an owner of 2017 GT PP. and currently running a FP power pack 2. and live in a country where 91( 95 Euro oct) is the only fuel available really at the pump. So running boost is hardly realistic for street use.

I have considered if adding a Ported 18 in combination with the 87mm throttle body and GT350 intake would be the best street N/A combo. and take full advantage of that 7500rpm potential and 87mm throttle body without the low and mid range torque loss of the GT350 manifold.

So does anyone have the experience of having added 18 manifold (ported or not) to there already power pack 2 equipped car? ( Of course with a new custom tune also.)
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I recently watch the video, VMP did on manifold comparison on a 2nd coyote.

My conclusion from that, was that the Ported 18 seems to the "best bang for the buck" for a 100% street use.
Justin Starkey also said that he felt the 2nd gen coyote motor should be reved to 7500 rpm as it is kinda designed for that.

As an owner of 2017 GT PP. and currently running a FP power pack 2. and live in a country where 91( 95 Euro oct) is the only fuel available really at the pump. So running boost is hardly realistic for street use.

I have considered if adding a Ported 18 in combination with the 87mm throttle body and GT350 intake would be the best street N/A combo. and take full advantage of that 7500rpm potential and 87mm throttle body without the low and mid range torque loss of the GT350 manifold.

So does anyone have the experience of having added 18 manifold (ported or not) to there already power pack 2 equipped car? ( Of course with a new custom tune also.)
I would highly recommend doing so with the stock 80 mm throttle body, rather than the GT350 TB that comes with the PP2. I had nothing but less-than-great drivability and idle quality issues with the GT350 TB, even with the tuner that has it figured out the best (AED).

Einar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP pack
I would highly recommend doing so with the stock 80 mm throttle body, rather than the GT350 TB that comes with the PP2. I had nothing but less-than-great drivability and idle quality issues with the GT350 TB, even with the tuner that has it figured out the best (AED).
Thanks for the reply.

OK, I guess you had the power pack 2 previous to installing the 18 manifold. did you feel a big difference in power going to the 18 mani and back to stock 80 throttle body?
Are you still using the GT350 air intake and have it "necked" down to fit the stock 80mm throttle body?
Are you running ported or non-ported 18 manifold?

I have not experience really any issues in regards to drivebility with the power pack 2 and it's 87mm throttle body. I feel overall the power pack 2 was worth it, it gave good performance over stock( specially mid-range).

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the reply.

OK, I guess you had the power pack 2 previous to installing the 18 manifold. did you feel a big difference in power going to the 18 mani and back to stock 80 throttle body?
Are you still using the GT350 air intake and have it "necked" down to fit the stock 80mm throttle body?
Are you running ported or non-ported 18 manifold?

I have not experience really any issues in regards to drivebility with the power pack 2 and it's 87mm throttle body. I feel overall the power pack 2 was worth it, it gave good performance over stock( specially mid-range).
I was previously tuned but not with the PP2. I am using the GT350 CAI with that throttle body. It seals fine, the clamp just needs to be tightened more. I will admit that I was worried about that but it was fine. My manifold is not ported but it sounds like it's worth a little bit.

The Ford Performance calibration has some special tricks with the throttle body/driver demand to make the drivability similar to stock. When you look at it, though, you can see why it's so tough. The blade angle is at about 30 degrees from vertical when in the closed position, so as soon as it starts opening, the airflow dramatically changes.

The manifold is a huge gain in upper midrange and top end power, and the way it's delivered is the best. It just feels like a linear ramp up and up and up from 4000-7800.

Red5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 mustang gt race red non pp
I have a 15 s550 with 18 manifold, stock throttle body and gt350 cold air intake with Lund tune and I like it... pulls hard all the way too 7500 rpms and drives like stock.

Sponsored

Kevin Tullock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP Euro
Hey guys, new to the thread (Although I have read a great deal of it) and considering my next upgrades. I'm in Scotland by the way so things take a little longer to trickle across the pond :wink: Thinking of Steeda CAI, Lund Tune with the 18 Intake Manifold & MMR Lockouts. does this sound reasonable? Bearing in mind this will not be put on a drag strip (As we have none on my island) Will purely be a daily driver and quick bursts down straight pieces of road where I can find them. All things considered is it worth my while with the 18 IM?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys, new to the thread (Although I have read a great deal of it) and considering my next upgrades. I'm in Scotland by the way so things take a little longer to trickle across the pond :wink: Thinking of Steeda CAI, Lund Tune with the 18 Intake Manifold & MMR Lockouts. does this sound reasonable? Bearing in mind this will not be put on a drag strip (As we have none on my island) Will purely be a daily driver and quick bursts down straight pieces of road where I can find them. All things considered is it worth my while with the 18 IM?
In my opinion it makes those quick bursts much more exciting. Mine is also daily driven and I've found no tangible downsides to it.

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
I say go for it. I have no regrets!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I have a '15 and want to do this but i don't want to cut off any factory connectors. Am I SOL or is there a way around that?
Leave them taped up to the harness bundle. Electrical tape over them and then secure them. That's what a few of us have done, and is relatively easy to reverse if necessary. Lockout the IMRCs and enjoy.

Sponsored

AZFord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 401a GT/PP

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
VMP has the Y harness and tune package. I'm considering going that route as I want to keep the IMRCs
https://www.vmpperformance.com/2011-2017-Mustang-GT-2018-Intake-Manifold-Tuning-p/vmp-ink002.htm
Hate to keep repeating it, but lock them out. The IMRC wiring modifications were the #1 thing stopping me from doing this intake. Once there were enough datapoints without the IMRCs, and talking with both my tuner and Ford engine development friends, it made sense to forget the headache of the goal that has alluded so many and lock them out. Read through the thread before deciding, is my advice.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
@BmacIL are you ported, if so who did it.
I'm not, though I'm considering having Dmark performance near me do it. Sucks to take it off again, but might be worth it.

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
Seems to be well worth it. A buddy and I are looking to get a couple ported ones from Bret Barber this fall.
I'm not, though I'm considering having Dmark performance near me do it. Sucks to take it off again, but might be worth it.
Sponsored