Sponsored

[?] '18 Intake Manifold on '15-'17

Cream Puff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
in the market
I'm looking forward to more dyno graphs. its already proven to gain power/tq under the curve over the GT350 manifold from the dyno sheet posted earlier in the thread.
Yep, the key will be once tuners really get the nuances of the intake, deleted cmcv plates with the standard gt350 tune doesn't do the manifold justice IMO.

If its not losing low end with the cmcv deleted, we will likely see low/mid rpm gains as well as the peak performance that we've seen so far.
Sponsored

gearhead2685

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
only reason to go with an 18 over a gt350 is cost.........

It wont carry rpm like the gt350.

Results have alot to do with the TUNE on this engine i dont care which intake you use. They are all HEAVILY tune dependent

Last CJ over all

Grim12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
only reason to go with an 18 over a gt350 is cost.........

It wont carry rpm like the gt350.

Results have alot to do with the TUNE on this engine i dont care which intake you use. They are all HEAVILY tune dependent

Last CJ over all
based on what I've seen so far, I agree.

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Will the GT350 TB bolt right up to the 18 mani, or do we still need the adapter?

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
STFT can go up to 25% and more...I can't imagine that just the manifold will increase flow by that much, especially at part throttle. Also there's nowhere for you to account for this flow in the tune...as DarkestHour said these don't go into open loop at WOT where one would account for extra flow. The PCM takes care of this extra flow through the use of wideband o2 sensors and lambda targets. In the older PCMs with open loop yes you would need to go into the tune and specifically have the extra airflow accounted for if you wanted to maintain the same AFR.

That's correct that cam timing can be optimized for this manifold and of course there is power to be had by tuning, I don't think anyone is denying that. However I believe the conversation I was having was purely around fueling needs and the fact that the manifold does not absolutely require a tune to be able to run and keep fueling safe. Of course power can be had by tuning it further.
I think we are both in agreement that in the short term these should work fine with pump gas on stock manifold tune. Like was said above though, you really need to tune it to get the most out of it, and I would assume most folks that are interested in doing this swap already are tuned or be willing to do so.

Cam timing, spark timing etc are all load dependent and depending on how the existing tune is setup would determine what values the increased load is seeing. You are correct on the WOT being closed loop, but I do believe there is still a fuel trim that is applied based on acquired data. Not 100% on this particular ECU but I know that some cars setup as such do indeed still apply a fuel trim modifier even under closed loop WOT.

Again, I agree it shouldn't be a huge deal. I just think guys should atleast monitor fuel, timing, knock etc as a safeguard. I am not a huge fan of having fuel trims heavily positive or negative all the time, same goes with overly aggressive timing and relying on the knock sensor to pull. That is getting off the beaten path though :)

Sponsored

Cream Puff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
in the market
I think we are both in agreement that in the short term these should work fine with pump gas on stock manifold tune. Like was said above though, you really need to tune it to get the most out of it, and I would assume most folks that are interested in doing this swap already are tuned or be willing to do so.

Cam timing, spark timing etc are all load dependent and depending on how the existing tune is setup would determine what values the increased load is seeing. You are correct on the WOT being closed loop, but I do believe there is still a fuel trim that is applied based on acquired data. Not 100% on this particular ECU but I know that some cars setup as such do indeed still apply a fuel trim modifier even under closed loop WOT.

Again, I agree it shouldn't be a huge deal. I just think guys should atleast monitor fuel, timing, knock etc as a safeguard. I am not a huge fan of having fuel trims heavily positive or negative all the time, same goes with overly aggressive timing and relying on the knock sensor to pull. That is getting off the beaten path though :)

These cars definitely apply a short term fuel trim at wot.. however IMO anything over/under ~5 your tune should be adjusted.

Cream Puff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
in the market
Will the GT350 TB bolt right up to the 18 mani, or do we still need the adapter?
wont fit. The GT TB is 80 MM the GT350 TB is 87 MM.

its the opposite problem of trying to put a 15-17GT throttle body on the GT350 intake.. you need an adapter.

MMR and a few other places make one to go 80m tb to gt350 intake.. you might be able to flip it around and use it backwards for this application but I have no idea.

Xavier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang

Sponsored

Cream Puff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
in the market
Ford parts guy tried to find me a female connector for the 15 pigtail and they came up with nothing. I'm sure one exists but all he could find was the canister for the 15cmcv plates.

Cream Puff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
in the market
can one of you guys who's got the swap done confirm this is the right set of pigtails.. ford parts guy wasnt sure.
2018-01-25 18.33.07.jpg

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
can one of you guys who's got the swap done confirm this is the right set of pigtails.. ford parts guy wasnt sure.
I'm 99% sure those are the proper pigtails. I messaged a guy who did the swap on Facebook, and he told me those were them!

By the way, if those are them, I get dibs on the first installation kit hah.

Xavier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Count me in as well.

sstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 J1955
I'm 99% sure those are the proper pigtails. I messaged a guy who did the swap on Facebook, and he told me those were them!

By the way, if those are them, I get dibs on the first installation kit hah.
Ditto . . . [MENTION=13473]Cream Puff[/MENTION] ;) :cheers:
Sponsored