18+ Drain Hole Locations?

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 CPO EB Prem Conv w/ 201A
Well, I stumbled upon the "woke up to a foot of water in my car" posts late last night and now I'm freaked out. Can anyone tell me the location of the 18+ front cowl drain holes? Keeping them clean seems to avoid a lot of hassle later on. I read a lot about the "floppy rubber drains" in early 2000's cars, but nothing about newer models. I see a split in jacking crease about a foot forward of each rear wheel, which seems to be the same as earlier models, but missing info about the front drains. Edit: located this diagram. It seems I'd just remove the cowl grille (#7) then the cowl cover (#1) and the drain vents would be cleaned (#5/6). Thoughts?
20200420_083802.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

bcdstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Met GT 6spd Convrt/50yr
Well, I stumbled upon the "woke up to a foot of water in my car" posts late last night and now I'm freaked out. Can anyone tell me the location of the 18+ front cowl drain holes? Keeping them clean seems to avoid a lot of hassle later on. I read a lot about the "floppy rubber drains" in early 2000's cars, but nothing about newer models. I see a split in jacking crease about a foot forward of each rear wheel, which seems to be the same as earlier models, but missing info about the front drains. Edit: located this diagram. It seems I'd just remove the cowl grille (#7) then the cowl cover (#1) and the drain vents would be cleaned (#5/6). Thoughts?
20200420_083802.jpg
My 2015 is still in the shop getting repaired from rain damage which will cost the insurance company $3800.00. They determined the leak to be the water tray that is at the base of the top in rear of car which has the smallest drain holes ever. I foolishly left the car out overnight in the rain (car is always kept in garage) which filled up the foot wells completely with water. What a surprise.
I will probably get the car back next week.

OP
OP
Reddirocket27

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Hey, do you know where this drain hole is? It seems that I need to clean mine out as well...
Look underneath near the front jacking point, about 6" behind the front wheel well. You'll see where the pinch weld splits for a half inch or so. Just big enough to stick a screwdriver in. That's your drain plug.

Sponsored

WT100

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Virt
Look underneath near the front jacking point, about 6" behind the front wheel well. You'll see where the pinch weld splits for a half inch or so. Just big enough to stick a screwdriver in. That's your drain plug.
Great thanks! I was looking at the back near the rear wheel.

OP
OP
Reddirocket27

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Great thanks! I was looking at the back near the rear wheel.
Man, I'm having a day. You're correct, they are in the rear. About six inches before the rear wheel. The front slopes towards the back but since the top (when down) allows leaves and gunk to fall down, the hole can easily become clogged. The plastic covers ford give are useless, since nobody is going to snap them into place every time they drop the top. Anyway, to clean it properly, the cover over the seatbelts should be pulled up and the hole cleaned from above using a long coat hanger or something. Since it's easy to get to from outside, shoving a flathead into the hole every few weeks is just fine.

WT100

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Virt
Anyway, to clean it properly, the cover over the seatbelts should be pulled up and the hole cleaned from above using a long coat hanger or something. Since it's easy to get to from outside, shoving a flathead into the hole every few weeks is just fine.
Rockin'! That's an answer I've needed for a while!

When I do it, I'll post pics incase it can help others. Seems to be a common problem.

OP
OP
Reddirocket27

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Rockin'! That's an answer I've needed for a while!

When I do it, I'll post pics incase it can help others. Seems to be a common problem.
While these are older models, they've got the general idea. The pre 18's had terrible dash cowl drains that backed up and flooded the interior with water. This design has been improved for the newer convertibles, which is why I thought for a moment the drains were behind the front wheel wells too.

Redraven571

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Convertible Triple Yellow
@WT100 How did you ever make out? I've never had an issue before but we've had a lot of pollen, leaves and other stuff in the NE, followed by 2 days of heavy rain. Got into my 2015 vert and started to drive when I heard sloshing, was at least 2 inches of water on passenger side both front and back. I'm trying to figure out where the drain holes are in back because when I look down inside next to the passenger rear window, I can see standing water in there. Any help greatly appreciated.
Sponsored