Sponsored

17 GT Manual PP...How would you mod it with $5k?

OP
OP
chagan02

chagan02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Lightning Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Story is kinda odd. For a base setup would still say id1050s and jms plug n play bap.

Is this the stage 1 kit? Not seeing intake or anything from stage 2.
Looking online for the differences between the two. All I can figure is the CAI and perhaps the pulley? Both are intercooled Id assume. Looks like the kit comes from Edelbrock with 50lb injectors, so these should work...
https://www.americanmuscle.com/deatschwerks-fueljectors-50-lb-0304-cobra-0517-gt.html

Tack on another $1000 for BAP, Tuner, and tune...high estimate is about 5k all in. Hmmm.
Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Looking online for the differences between the two. All I can figure is the CAI and perhaps the pulley? Both are intercooled Id assume. Looks like the kit comes from Edelbrock with 50lb injectors, so these should work...
https://www.americanmuscle.com/deatschwerks-fueljectors-50-lb-0304-cobra-0517-gt.html

Tack on another $1000 for BAP, Tuner, and tune...high estimate is about 5k all in. Hmmm.
Stage 2 comes with larger injectors, a Fuel Pump Voltage Booster, larger 103mm throttle body, high-flow air intake with a 113mm MAF housing, and 8-rib drive belt upgrade. So if injectors and bap requires pretty certain this was a stage 1 maybe tuner kit.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
Howdy all, this is my first post on this forum (longtime member on SVTP, and others). Been posting over there for a while and it seems like there is a little more focused attention on the S550 here, wonder why? Anyways...

So I have 2017 GT Manual with Performance Pack. I bought the car about 18 months ago with 6500 miles on it, now has 7700. Since I've owned it I was under the impression that it just had a Roush Axle-Back, but I always thought it was awful loud for that so I got under it recently and discovered it's the full Cat-Back (w/xpipe), now the volume makes sense. Otherwise, no performance mods beside a shifter.

All that said I've been saving up some cash in anticipation of the Black Friday sales this year for some mods. So the question is, how would you mod this car with a budget of 5k or less? The car is NOT a DD and never sees the dragstrip. However, I cannot rule it out on occasion, as well as perhaps an autocross session.

Below are the options I'm considering (car is out of warranty)...
  • Bolt Ons (will these make a substantial difference?)
    • Headers
    • CAI, Tune (93 octane, no E85)
    • Unsure about 18 mani...everything I've seen says the stock mani outperforms the 18 mani below 6500 rpm, especially torque. Since this is a street car.....
  • Forced Induction (I know this will...lol)
    • Used S/C kit (obvious choice)
      • PD Blower - Prefer VMP or Roush due to price
      • Centri - Car has 3.73 gears (not changing) so would a centri be a better choice?
    • Used Turbo kit (very enticing...)
      • Most likely the Hellion Street Sleeper kit (may even splurge for a new one), what about the On3 kit?
My ideal power level is 500-550whp, which the Bolt Ons won't reach, and the FI options way exceed. I just can't justify spending 7k for a FI setup, with me installing it, thus why I'm looking into a nice used kit. I've bought a used S/C before and it worked out well, Novi2000 on a 2V car. On the FI option, I'm just concerned about reliability. My wife drives the car quite often and I don't want it so crazy that I'm worried about her getting stranded somewhere. Not to mention also concerned about that MT82, the clutch, the halfshafts, etc. Probably safe there as long as I don't put on sticky tires. What about the OPGs, I see folks replacing them, is that mandatory at a certain power level? Been down that road twice with my 2V...

Any input you can provide would be super helpful. Just not sure what's safe and what's not on these Gen2 Coyotes.
Exhaust, headers,cold air intake, (optional) ported manifold, tune, suspension components, and a good sticky performance tire are the way to go! After that you'll have a foundation to build on for boost down the road! https://www.lethalperformance.com/

OP
OP
chagan02

chagan02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Exhaust, headers,cold air intake, (optional) ported manifold, tune, suspension components, and a good sticky performance tire are the way to go! After that you'll have a foundation to build on for boost down the road! https://www.lethalperformance.com/
Awesome Andrew, thanks. Also thanks for the PMs. Might wait to order until Black Friday if sales are better?

Couple more questions for anyone...
  1. Can I go ahead and upgrade to headers and change the CatBack without tuning? Will that hurt anything?
  2. If I go with an 18 mani, after hearing some of the stories of elevated IATs, should I just get an OEM 18-20 CAI? Will that be of most benefit? Will that bolt right into my 17? Seeing some for sale in the marketplace.
Thanks!

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
Awesome Andrew, thanks. Also thanks for the PMs. Might wait to order until Black Friday if sales are better?

Couple more questions for anyone...
  1. Can I go ahead and upgrade to headers and change the CatBack without tuning? Will that hurt anything?
  2. If I go with an 18 mani, after hearing some of the stories of elevated IATs, should I just get an OEM 18-20 CAI? Will that be of most benefit? Will that bolt right into my 17? Seeing some for sale in the marketplace.
Thanks!
Can upgrade catback no tune. Would still tune for headers to avoid cel and to get the most out of the upgrade.

Would recommend 18 OEM mani and intake as you get the increased flow but keep iats down.

Sponsored

OP
OP
chagan02

chagan02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Can upgrade catback no tune. Would still tune for headers to avoid cel and to get the most out of the upgrade.

Would recommend 18 OEM mani and intake as you get the increased flow but keep iats down.
Okay so I will get a cel even with catted headers?
Also I assume the CAI is the same for 18-20? Does the 18-20 have larger MAF?

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
Okay so I will get a cel even with catted headers?
Also I assume the CAI is the same for 18-20? Does the 18-20 have larger MAF?
There are defoulers / spacers you can run to try to avoid cel, works for some not others. But you also won't get the same performance out of the long tubes either.

OP
OP
chagan02

chagan02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There are defoulers / spacers you can run to try to avoid cel, works for some not others. But you also won't get the same performance out of the long tubes either.
Thanks man. I get the real benefit is the LTHs combined with the tune, just looking to spread out the workload. But perhaps it’s best to just wait.
What about my question on the 18 CAI? Same as 19-20? Bigger MAF than my oem 17? Assuming it will just bolt right up to the 18 mani?

thanks for the help dude.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
Thanks man. I get the real benefit is the LTHs combined with the tune, just looking to spread out the workload. But perhaps it’s best to just wait.
What about my question on the 18 CAI? Same as 19-20? Bigger MAF than my oem 17? Assuming it will just bolt right up to the 18 mani?

thanks for the help dude.
Significant maf housing / tubing size difference on the 18+ than the 15-17. And ya will line right up on the new mani. And the OEM parts are pretty cheap. Possibly even available used.

OP
OP
chagan02

chagan02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Significant maf housing / tubing size difference on the 18+ than the 15-17. And ya will line right up on the new mani. And the OEM parts are pretty cheap. Possibly even available used.
Sweet thanks man. Just wasn’t sure if the airbox and all was a direct fit. Thanks for clearing it up! Sounds like I know what I need.

Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
A Boosted s550 at 550-600whp Will be very reliable and last a long time. Go boost and don’t look back

OP
OP
chagan02

chagan02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
One last question, when swapping to the 18 mani, any reason to purchase the 18 TB as well or is it the same as the 15-17 TB? Found a takeoff mani from a 20 that comes with TB, Injectors, and rail.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
IIRC, throttle body control is completely different for the '18+. Just use your existing TB.

OP
OP
chagan02

chagan02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
IIRC, throttle body control is completely different for the '18+. Just use your existing TB.
Awesome thanks. Will the 17TB bolt right up, or adapter needed? I know one is needed for the GT350 TB sent in the FRPP2 kit.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Bolts right up.
Sponsored