Sponsored

15 steering issue. by design or flaw

JonnyK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium Ecoboost
just wondering if anyone has his issue I have a 2015 ecoboost. when I am turning for more than a couple of seconds if I let go of the wheel it "holds" the wheel position. and often feels like it is cutting into the road. hard to explain. feels like there is some sort of active assistance on the steering.

my apologies if this has been covered I cant find it in the forums,
thanks
jon:headbonk:
Sponsored

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
what wheel setting are you running?

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB
It has been doing this on all my newer mustangs with the electric steering

Sent from my iPhone6 using Tapatalk

jmhtang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premier Black w/PP
It's happened on mine since the beginning. It happens on a left turn only and is inconsistent. Yes, the wheel seems to "bind" and does not go back to center smoothly.
Am bringing the car to the dealership tomorrow morning to have a tech take a test ride.

Sponsored

Waldorf

Old School
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 3Y PP
It's happened on mine since the beginning. It happens on a left turn only and is inconsistent. Yes, the wheel seems to "bind" and does not go back to center smoothly.
Am bringing the car to the dealership tomorrow morning to have a tech take a test ride.
If suspension/wheels/tires are stock, it may just be incorrect front caster. If the tech does feel it, he'll probably put it on the alignment machine to check it. FYI... front caster for a PP is +7.2° ±.75°... just so you don't get fed a line at the dealership. The more positive the caster, the more the car wants to go straight when turning (more steering effort needed), and more easily comes back to center by letting go of the wheel. Might have been bumped/damaged a little coming off the truck or rail car on delivery.

Sure hope that's all it is... best of luck!
That is all...

jmhtang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
If suspension/wheels/tires are stock, it may just be incorrect front caster. If the tech does feel it, he'll probably put it on the alignment machine to check it. FYI... front caster for a PP is +7.2° ±.75°... just so you don't get fed a line at the dealership. The more positive the caster, the more the car wants to go straight when turning (more steering effort needed), and more easily comes back to center by letting go of the wheel. Might have been bumped/damaged a little coming off the truck or rail car on delivery.

Sure hope that's all it is... best of luck!
That is all...
Thank you! Will advise the tech. Also saw on the forum that it could possibly be the EPAS module. BTW, nothing on the front is stock. LOL. But I have had it aligned. If I recall, the steering issue was present before the mods. Well, we'll see tomorrow.

Nucdancer01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford Premium PP, MT82
Does it feel like the car shifts sideways while you are in a constant radius? Similar to hitting a groove or rut in the turn, very abruptly?

Sent from my Oxford White 2015 GT PP, Prem

Waldorf

Old School
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 3Y PP
jmhtang, keep us posted! My new one is scheduled to be build next week... just been scouring the forum for things to look for on delivery.

Sad news is that a lot of alignment guys are just mediocre, if downright poor at what they do for a living. A 4 wheel independent suspension RWD car can do funny/strange things if not properly aligned. If you find a good alignment guy that'll set it up the way you want it - treat him well!!! :D

That is all...

jmhtang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Does it feel like the car shifts sideways while you are in a constant radius? Similar to hitting a groove or rut in the turn, very abruptly?

Sent from my Oxford White 2015 GT PP, Prem
No, the car does not feel like it's shifting sideways. Just that the motion of the wheel is notchy on its way back to center. But as I said, it doesn't happen all the time (I hate these intermittent problems!) and never happens when turning right.

Sponsored
OP
OP
JonnyK

JonnyK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium Ecoboost
at least I know its not just me. cant count on them to do a proper alignment at the factory they had my hood adjuster set so high up my hood caved in the middle.

Dawg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT convertible
No, the car does not feel like it's shifting sideways. Just that the motion of the wheel is notchy on its way back to center. But as I said, it doesn't happen all the time (I hate these intermittent problems!) and never happens when turning right.
If it's intermittant, it's not the caster. It's the EPAS. This is a pretty common problem with electric power steering at all manufacturers. I miss hydraulic rack and pinion steering.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Tramlining wouldn't try to hold a steered position.

On the S197s with EPAS they snuck in a couple of steering assist features - active nibble control and pull-drift compensation that are supposed to reduce the need for making small steering corrections - mainly benefitting the below-average drivers among us. But those features don't play nice with certain front suspension modifications (front LCA bushing swaps in particular). I'm betting that even though it's not as bad as the uncontrollable shimmying that showed up in the S197, those little extras still aren't quite ready for prime time.

Norm

jmhtang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Ok, I brought my car to the dealership this morning. I could not duplicate the steering wheel issue on the way down. The tech took the car for about 10-15 minutes on roads that I know have many left turns. He could not duplicate the issue. On the way home, I still could not duplicate the binding/notchiness.

So that leaves me absolutely nowhere! I suppose I'll just have to live with the problem. I don't see it as a safety issue, but rather as an annoyance.

That's my story and I may change it at a moment's notice.
Sponsored