Sponsored

15-17 Whipple stage 1 to 2 upgrade notes

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
I have had the stage 1 Whipple setup on my car since 2017, and recently I decided to buy the stage 1 to 2 upgrade kit that includes a new tune, new intake piping, 72lb injectors, and the 132mm throttle body. The purpose of this thread is twofold, the first being to strongly recommend that if you want a Whipple, get the stage 2 bits from the outset. The second purpose is, if you have the stage 1, I want you to be prepared before you do the stage 2 upgrade like I did.

The upgrade kit is about 1500 bucks if you catch it on sale. I got mine from TBR but other places sell it as well and it is a SKU that Whipple sells direct, if you are so inclined. Give whipple extra time to get you the tune because it is not typical for them to have to provision both tunes to one VIN. They will probably want you to return to stock first and then download the new tune before putting the old tune back (if you are doing this ahead of time, which I cannot recommend enough), but I recommend pushing for them to add the new tune to your existing one so that you don't have to return to stock just to download the stage 2 tune. Be very careful during this process because they are not used to doing these stage 1 to 2 upgrades! I don't want you to accidentally paint yourself into a corner and end up in a situation where you either cannot get the stage 2 tune downloaded (and you already have the new stuff on your car) or you end up not being able to flash the stage 1 tune back after downloading the stage 2 tune.

The actual install is pretty straightforward. Remove the airbox, remove the belt, remove the pulley, remove the blower, remove the fuel rails, replace the injectors, put the fuel rails back in, swap in the new throttle body, place the blower back down, reinstall pulley, reinstall belt, reinstall air box and piping, tune and go. However, be very very very careful removing the bolts that hold the blower to the intercooler (the 6mm ones). They were properly torqued during the install in 2017 but either through thermal expansion or galvanic corrosion, they were very difficult to remove. Use high quality bits and make damn sure you don't strip them and pray to god you don't break the bolt head off. Once that terrifying process was over, the blower popped right off and the rest was easy. Make sure you have long 6mm bits for the passenger side (jackshaft is in the way otherwise) and use a wobble socket with a short 6mm on the rearmost one on the drivers side.

The tune was successfully applied and the car fired right up. It's hotter than piss here today so I didn't flog it too hard. It sounds very healthy and drives great.

TLDR: Buy the stage 2 and make sure you give your stage 2 upgrade options and pitfalls a lot of thought.
Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Having just removed my Gen 2 Whipple yesterday in preparation for my Edelbrock upgrade, I totally agree that the blower to lower manifold bolts were DAMN tight. I used anti-seize and correct torque figures back when I installed it.
I’m guessing thermal expansion and contraction is the culprit.
Glad you’re happy with it!

cchvyd28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Can't agree more. But If I might I'd add this: Just buy the tuner kit and buy yourself some ID1050x injectors and a tune from PBD or Lund or AED or any of the other big guys. You will end up doing this eventually anyway, buy once cry once. I bought the stage 1 and eventually wanted more, so I purchased the throttle body, injectors, oversized heat exchanger and Whipple tune. A few months later I went with an aftermarket tune due to my Whipple tune having some wot shifting issues that Whipple said were as intended. MUCH cheaper to do it all at the beginning.

OP
OP

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
I thought about going the third party route but I need to be able to smog it.
Sponsored