Sponsored

10r80 thermostatic bypass

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
It has been mentioned several times that the 10r80 would cool better if it did not have the thermostatic bypass. The bypass needs to hit 190F before it opens and even open it restricts flow to the cooler because it is there. Is there a solution?

I did some research knowing nothing about the 10r80 except I am racing it and it does great things! But I'm always looking to improve it and I am in the initial phases of development never racing over 60F before the CV19 stopped all club racing. In preparation for the summer races at 90F ambient temps I have added coolers almost finished plumbing. I will repurpose the trans cooler to be my diff cooler. I removed the condenser.

20200411_164113.jpg

There isn't much on the 10R but plenty on the 6R80. Here is a picture of where the thermostatic bypass is which is inside the transmission under the valve body.
20200418_095956.jpg

There is a company making a bypass to delete the wax ford pellet that can fail with a spring type that you see on the very reliable SETRAUB oil filter sandwich plates. It looks like you can pull the ford piece out and just fit in the sprung
T-bypass or maybe leave the bypass out all together?

20200418_090736.jpg

This is the inside of the 10R80 with valvebody removed. I think the green arrow is where the T-bypass is located because it looks like the 6R bypass location. Perhaps this is an easy removal or the 6R bypass above can fit. The removal of the valve body does not look too difficult or risky?

20200418_094803.jpg

There is this T-bypass for 10R80 F150's and mustangs it says? But the block think looks more like the blocks that used to be placed outside the transmissions in the old days. I don't see there this block can go? I will have to call the company for clarification on exactly what they are selling.

20200418_100230.jpg

This is all I know right now. I would be glad to see some others contribute. My pee brain says that if the 10R80 stock bypass reliably opens at 190F and a big cooler is attached keeping tans temps to somewhere like a coolant radiator 205-225F I see no reason remove the bypass. That seems to be a perfectly operational temperature. If the 10R lasts longer performs better at 190F max then I see a reason to delete the bypass. If the mercon LV viscosity at 190F is the target viscosity for best 10R running them perhaps for those tacking using just plain Mercon V might be better if the 225F viscosity of mercon V is equal to the viscosity of 190F mercon LV? I have used viscosity at operational temperature when selecting motor oils and that has never failed me.
Sponsored

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
Report. I'm loosing the second trans.
Although temps are under control
I have huge issues in first gears.
Attached a video
Also
When reverse is seems it doesn't engage the R (It is like the clutch is on ) so the car move really slowly
In D especially when cold..
The first 2 or 3 gears are erratic
And
If I use paddles
The car shut down like if in a manual u release the clutch with brakes on.

Sponsored

OP
OP
fatbillybob

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
Alex,

When you talk to Ford she what they think of using Mercon LV instead of ULV because we are tracking the car and the trans temps while acceptable on the gauge are higher temperatures on the moving internal parts. Maybe the higher viscosity of the LV might help with longevity and you would only suffer driveability issues at low ambient temps like winter in big bear?

I have always been successful going with a higher viscosity motor oil to match my operational temps vs. the viscosity rating of the OE oil at streetcar operational temps. This even works for my truck diff where I'll run 140 instead of 95w because I'm not in sub zero temps, I tow a lot, and on the throttle quite a bit.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
Alex,

When you talk to Ford she what they think of using Mercon LV instead of ULV because we are tracking the car and the trans temps while acceptable on the gauge are higher temperatures on the moving internal parts. Maybe the higher viscosity of the LV might help with longevity and you would only suffer driveability issues at low ambient temps like winter in big bear?

I have always been successful going with a higher viscosity motor oil to match my operational temps vs. the viscosity rating of the OE oil at streetcar operational temps. This even works for my truck diff where I'll run 140 instead of 95w because I'm not in sub zero temps, I tow a lot, and on the throttle quite a bit.
Interesting thought. I was literally talking with an expert guy about this.
here what he answered.
So first,
Let's see what FORD says about it. again this is my second trans .But this time never heated over 212f.
If I can get a new trans ( or fix the issues ) I might consider to upgrade the clutches. or the torque converter ( does it make sense?)
Alex
Capture2.PNG

OP
OP
fatbillybob

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
Ford might also find best drivability from ulv. But on paddles maybe all we want is best function not smoothness and seamless function as streetcar. At our temps maybe lv or v might be better. Also what about a small overfill? Is there any g based starvation in auto’s that can starve parts for fluid lubrication? On wetsump cars under high g load we used +1qt of oil and solved starvation issues.
Sponsored