Sponsored

10R80 Owners - ULTIMATE M6G 10R80 Facts + Resolutions to harsh or no shift conditions

EruptionGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT 10 speed Performance Pack
I own a 2022 GT Performance Pack 10R80 and just hit 3,500 miles of trouble-free miles (aside from the barbecue spark igniting tick sound after first oil change). Some general observations:

- the transmission takes a LONG time to completely warm up. Sometimes, especially in cold weather, it can take up to 45 minutes to get to full operating temp (185-197 F). Today on a 75 mile drive to work in 35 degree weather, the transmission was only at 157 degrees pulling in and it hadn't gotten any hotter than that in the past 15 minutes.

- the 10R80 makes a noticeable whine, every Youtube video I've seen and 10R80 car in person makes the same sound. I don't know if it's a pump or belt but you can hear it when gently pressing the throttle in park. Just an observation

- the transmission is overall a bit sluggish/strange when cold (under 100F) when you're first driving. It does what you need but it seems to be a little harsh in sport mode, laggy to downshift or upshift so I just take it easy in drive. Pampering it in drive mode to sneak out of the local roads to avoid startling neighbors the transmission almost acts like a CVT where it flares a bit and has sluggish upshifts, sport mode crisps it up.

- drive mode on shifter is annoying for everyday driving compared to sport. If you want to maintain a speed going up a hill or pass someone, the transmission will lug it in 10th gear, where as in sport, it'll be more willing to downshift when you add a bit of throttle. Throttle response is overall better too. Once warmed up, I only drive in sport mode just so it's a more responsive car.

I came from a 4-speed-automatic slushbox and these modern high-performance automatics like the 10 speed Ford/GM, ZF 8 speed, etc. it's no comparison. At full throttle it just bangs through the gears like a DCT, downshifts like a DCT, and keeps you in the powerband especially with the 3.55 rear end.

I've driven a Scat Pack with the ZF 8 speed and I will admit it is a much more seamless, smart, mind-reading transmission that is calibrated incredibly. The Ford 10R80 is a bit quirky at times but it's a petty con in the big picture especially since it's under warranty.
Sponsored

Bluey81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT Premium(waiting), '12 Focus Titanium
I own a 2022 GT Performance Pack 10R80 and just hit 3,500 miles of trouble-free miles (aside from the barbecue spark igniting tick sound after first oil change). Some general observations:

- the transmission takes a LONG time to completely warm up. Sometimes, especially in cold weather, it can take up to 45 minutes to get to full operating temp (185-197 F). Today on a 75 mile drive to work in 35 degree weather, the transmission was only at 157 degrees pulling in and it hadn't gotten any hotter than that in the past 15 minutes.

- the 10R80 makes a noticeable whine, every Youtube video I've seen and 10R80 car in person makes the same sound. I don't know if it's a pump or belt but you can hear it when gently pressing the throttle in park. Just an observation

- the transmission is overall a bit sluggish/strange when cold (under 100F) when you're first driving. It does what you need but it seems to be a little harsh in sport mode, laggy to downshift or upshift so I just take it easy in drive. Pampering it in drive mode to sneak out of the local roads to avoid startling neighbors the transmission almost acts like a CVT where it flares a bit and has sluggish upshifts, sport mode crisps it up.

- drive mode on shifter is annoying for everyday driving compared to sport. If you want to maintain a speed going up a hill or pass someone, the transmission will lug it in 10th gear, where as in sport, it'll be more willing to downshift when you add a bit of throttle. Throttle response is overall better too. Once warmed up, I only drive in sport mode just so it's a more responsive car.

I came from a 4-speed-automatic slushbox and these modern high-performance automatics like the 10 speed Ford/GM, ZF 8 speed, etc. it's no comparison. At full throttle it just bangs through the gears like a DCT, downshifts like a DCT, and keeps you in the powerband especially with the 3.55 rear end.

I've driven a Scat Pack with the ZF 8 speed and I will admit it is a much more seamless, smart, mind-reading transmission that is calibrated incredibly. The Ford 10R80 is a bit quirky at times but it's a petty con in the big picture especially since it's under warranty.
That assessment is bang on. Nice writeup.

Nodster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I don't understand the lugging description in 10th gear. Drive mode is a perfectley easy, smooth, drive for everyday driving. Just kick back and it'll do it's thing. Skipping the gears nicely and you get the best economy in return. If you need to drop a cog just give the accelerator a bit of a push. The engine has the torque most of the time for most scenarios - otherwise it'll drop down. Yes Sport will always be more responsive but why the need to drive around in that mode all the time? Who we all racing? I must be the only one taking my time haha. 😁 I only use Sport occasionally and definitely not for a whole journey. It runs in lower gears, holds the revs when accelerating and decelerating - so for day to day popping to the shops or driving around town it's just unnecessary and wasting fuel. Pop it in Drive and kick back I say.

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase

I just completed my 1,000 break-in miles today. Tomorrow, I'll go for my first fun drive. Newbie A10 question, is it okay to shift from Normal to Sport while you're moving/driving?

Nodster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I just completed my 1,000 break-in miles today. Tomorrow, I'll go for my first fun drive. Newbie A10 question, is it okay to shift from Normal to Sport while you're moving/driving?
Yeah totally fine. 👍

Sponsored

Bullit69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Manny
Vehicle(s)
19 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Yes it is, just be sure your transmission is up to operating temperature 🤒 that’s most important before beating on it!

EruptionGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT 10 speed Performance Pack
Yeah totally fine. 👍
When I happen to line up with someone for a quick roll race, I'll paddle downshift in sport, and in order to let the computer take over, after flooring it I fling it into drive and back into sport so it turns the paddle-manual-only function off.

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
When I happen to line up with someone for a quick roll race, I'll paddle downshift in sport, and in order to let the computer take over, after flooring it I fling it into drive and back into sport so it turns the paddle-manual-only function off.
I used to do that exact same thing 😅

OR you could hold the right paddle (maybe left also - I will test this later) for a few seconds and it should switch everything back to Automatic Sport mode.

mkcotton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
This is a great thread, so much information. Thank you @Cobra Jet

I have experienced most of the "common" behaviors with the 10R80 as described here, but mine is doing something I really haven't read about.

My house is on an alley, and my driveway has an incline, not severe, I am guesstimating 12-15 degrees. So, when I pull into my driveway (left side pull in) the trans like slips, and I feel the car stop going forward, the engine RPMs go up for a second, then it catches and jerks a little. My trans has a lot of gear whine normally (as described by TSBs and others) but when I get into the garage after this slipping, I hear a grinding/hissing type sound coming from the trans for a few seconds..

Its very odd, and none of my cars I've owned since living in the house have done this, and it seems to only do it in my driveway (slow moving/turning/incline situation) - I don't recall it doing it on flat road conditions (yet)..

anyone else experience this?
That probably isn't you tranny slipping, but your inside rear wheel coming on the ground. I stiffened the shit out of mine and it does the same thing... can actually hear the squeal when the tire catches. Have someone watch...pretty sure that's what it is... speaking from experience!

P_SchroederStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peyton
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Hi all. I’m not technically inclined so I’d like to ask you all....what is actually happening with the transmission when I get a jarring 4 to 5 shift with a clunk. It feels like I’ve been rear-ended. It makes me not want to accelerate hard. It seems like 4th is being held a long time and then into 5th it’s like a sudden jarring shift.
This is the biggest issue I’m dealing with with my transmission.
Mine does this too, the car will sometimes redline itself at the top of 4th gear. I don’t know why it’s doing this

Sponsored

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
First aggressive drive in "S" today. I enjoyed it, a bit more traffic than I would have liked. The A10 definitely will take some getting used to. I took your advice and drove the first 20 mins easy and in "D" mode. It almost feels like a auto trying to dive like a manual by holding gears etc. My only real auto experience in big horsepower cars is AMGs (E63s, GTRs). Even an AMG GTR auto transmission does not seem as aggressive as this transmission (I'm not talking about the entire car, obviously the AMG GTR is a beast). Good first day, more very early tomorrow morning.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
As far as lugging, when it drops into 10th, and you try to accelerate barely and not enough to downshift, it reminds me of driving a manual in 5th gear when you should be in 3rd, its just not smart enough to downshift. That being said, after about 5k miles, my foot muscle memory knows what to do now to get the car to do what I want in Normal. I also do not use S+ until I have driven a good 10-15 mins now. I think the cold tranny and increased line pressure or whatever it is doing just makes too hard a shift. I use S+ a lot in traffic because it is more fun and easier to jump in and out of lanes getting around slow people. My foot is also trained there how to get it to jump a little, but also not send it into rocket ship mode in S+.

Hwangmihee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lambert
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue Mustang
So I've been dicked around by a few dealers where no one can replicate my issue somehow even after leaving the car with a tech for 5 days. I literally had to contact a friend of a friend who was a service advisor at a Ford dealer to get my car in sooner than end of October.

I still have the car right now and I'm driving it in it's current broken state where I cannot drive the car longer than 30minutes without either my transmission dying or a service light going on causing my car to limp mode. I had two more recorded instances here with a gopro:

Only after escalating to Ford Canada, they've agreed they are going to replace my throttle body first to see if this resolves my issue.

I believe I'm the only one that they know of for the mustang, to have this issue ever, so not fun.

My install date is now October 25th after experiencing this since early May this year and finally getting Ford's attention.
New update guys. Ford had my car for a week and overhauled the valve body, the brains of the transmission.

Took it for a test drive to 4 cities and it looked great, except at a single red light that night, my car's engine turned off again, stalling.

Told myself okay the car is super smooth now, Ford said changing the valve body wouldn't fix the stall but fix my transmission disconnecting.

The following day, I was driving in 7th gear and the transmission disconnected again...

Back to square one boys. Depression.

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium California Special
New update guys. Ford had my car for a week and overhauled the valve body, the brains of the transmission.

Took it for a test drive to 4 cities and it looked great, except at a single red light that night, my car's engine turned off again, stalling.

Told myself okay the car is super smooth now, Ford said changing the valve body wouldn't fix the stall but fix my transmission disconnecting.

The following day, I was driving in 7th gear and the transmission disconnected again...

Back to square one boys. Depression.
The stalling at a red light is either the cam phasers or dirty VCT solenoids. As for the transmission disconnecting, I have no idea. I'm hoping others on here have more insight.

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra