10r80 heat issues and slipping

Quenherndon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Quen
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang GTpremium
Bought my 2018 mustang gt last year used with 11k on the odometer. Found out at 30k miles that I got one of the 10r80s that came from factory two quarters low on transmission fluid. I had no idea this was even an issues on these cars until a year later when I would be cruising and get random up shifts. The car was modified and tuned by the previous owner. I took it to a local Ford dealer in Thomasville Georgia, they topped off the transmission and said everything was fine with the car. I received the car back a week later and it felt terrible. Found out they had wiped the tune off the transmission pcm. I babied the car and didn’t take it over 4K rpms for a month until I just recently got a new palm beach dyno email tune and the car feels even better then when I first received it a year ago. I got my final 93 tune back on Friday last week.

here comes the issue, I finally got to enjoy my car for the first time in 2 months on a cruise with my buddies. 10 mins into the cruise the trans temps were at 230 degrees Fahrenheit, the the car was missing shifts. I babied the car back home and just drove it to work the next couple days and it feels perfectly fine, until it heats up. It just normal everyday commuting the car will sit at about 195 degrees. Any help or input would be appreciated. Really stumped because the car feels perfectly fine when it is below 205 degrees and drives like a dream.
I don’t know if there was anything that I can do as far as warranty or even a recall in regards to the transmission coming from factor 2 quarts low on fluid. since the car is modified and tuned I don’t know if I have a leg to stand on.
i also have had 3 shops run computer diagnostics on the car and nothing came up. So I have a feeling it might just be a fluid contamination problem but that just seems too simple. Any input would be appreciated.
thanks
Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Operating temperature, where you're supposed to check level, is 195-210. So 230 might be a little warm but should not be damaging hot.
Have you personally checked the level? Perhaps it's overfill? Relying on a Ford tech to do something right is a real crap shoot.

OP
OP

Quenherndon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Quen
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang GTpremium
Operating temperature, where you're supposed to check level, is 195-210. So 230 might be a little warm but should not be damaging hot.
Have you personally checked the level? Perhaps it's overfill? Relying on a Ford tech to do something right is a real crap shoot.
I am just worried there is more damage to the transmission after driving the car for 30k miles with low atf fluid ?

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I think we all understand the concern. However until you start troubleshooting it all you will have is worry. Worry without info is useless, frustrating and pointless. All you have right now is anecdotal symptoms, no real information and you need information.
And the symptoms you describe could easily be from too much fluid. Either check it yourself under the correct parameters or take it to a good, honest transmission shop for a proper diagnosis. I'd also suggest checking with the tuner to see if something in the tune could cause this.
Sponsored