Sponsored

10 speed auto transmission (10R80) S550 Mustang showing up in Microcat

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Yeah, I'm not quite sure why people think more gears the better.... It's all done for fuel economy obviously, likely to be heavier and more complicated design...
More gear is faster when you just launch from stop.
The problem is American manufactures tend to more interested in saving fuel so the cars are turning at 1500rpm at highway speeds so when you wanna get some acceleration, it has to jump a couple of gears. I drove a V8 Tahoe it's the same way. German cars rev higher so the ratios are closer. The other thing is logic. You can have 20 speed but if the logic is bad, it will still be slow.
Sponsored

Double

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Ruby Red A10
Vehicle Showcase
More gears means more available options for the logic to work with right ? I mean it's not sequential so it can skip gears ?

You might see 1-3-4 when under hard acceleration and 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 when going very slow.
With a 6 speed you are basically always following every single gear no matter how you are driving, so it's basically the bear minimum to function.

Made this up have no clue so correct me if my theory is wrong.

As long as the logic is right and if it's just as reliable as the 6R80 who would complain ?

Last edited:

lzaffuto

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lucas
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 Vert
My dad just bought a Charger R/T with the 8-speed ZF and it's a great transmission. It is interesting to see how it picks gears... it does skip around a lot and it always feels like it is in a good gear for the situation.

Sponsored

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
In the days of the C4/C6...

"Who would need more than three gears?"

In the AOD/E days...

"Five speeds? Why not drive an 18 wheeler next!"

Along comes the 6R80..

"Yeah but that just means more to go wrong, I won't be trading for a long, long time!"

And now we're here...

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
More gears means more available options for the logic to work with right ? I mean it's not sequential so it can skip gears ?

You might see 1-3-4 when under hard acceleration and 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 when going very slow.
With a 6 speed you are basically always following every single gear no matter how you are driving, so it's basically the bear minimum to function.

Made this up have no clue so correct me if my theory is wrong.

As long as the logic is right and if it's just as reliable as the 6R80 who would complain ?
Other way around. Under hard acceleration, it'll use every gear to maximize torque to the wheels. Under casual driving it'll skip gears. The 6R80 also does skip gears. You'll see 1-2-3-6 under a lot of driving situations.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
My dad just bought a Charger R/T with the 8-speed ZF and it's a great transmission. It is interesting to see how it picks gears... it does skip around a lot and it always feels like it is in a good gear for the situation.
The ZF 8 speed is perfect in my 2 litre diesel BMW. Just what you need for a diesel with a narrow power band. At least 2, possibly 3 gears too many in that box for a petrol engine with its wider power band tough. Why they feel the need to put a 10 speed box in a car with a 5 litre petrol V8 is beyond me. Must be purely down to emission legislation

mdmoore23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ZL1
Iv said it before. I had the 8 speed dual clutch tranny in my 2015 Acura and it sucked. Sure, it shifted fast but when you were on the freeway and stomped it (8th) the things would shift down 3-4 times before any acceleration... up to 2 seconds. Drove me nuts. I'll take a fast 6 speed any day of the year.
That was an Acura first of all. The new 8 speeds from Dodge and Chevy get little complaints as far as acceleration goes. I have an 8 spd Hellcat and that tranny is an absolute beast. More gears enable easier access to a cars powerband, in addition to better fuel economy. After hearing how the ZL1 shifts and being that this is a joint venture between 2 of the big 3, I'm gonna predict this 10 speed will be a welcome change for Mustang transmissions. 6 speed autos are dead.

Sponsored

4 ROUSH

NONE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SOLD
It will improve performance over the 6 speed. The fuel economy is a driving force on the change to 10 gears. It will be interesting to see this new transmission perform on all driving conditions. It will not be exact in spec to the GM version being produced in 2017 Camaro. Ford design variation .:ford::headbang:

Starman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT convertible
That was an Acura first of all.
Fan boy comment.

That's the first time I think i have heard in 30 years saying a Chevy or Chrysler component is better engineered then Honda. Sure, Honda/Toyota set the bar of 1 failure per million in the 90's and Chevy and Dodge have caught up massively since then (from 1 in 10,000), but hardly.... Put up any sport tranny Chevy or Dodge built in 2000 against the S2000's.

More gears /= better.

If they were worth their salt they would build a sports CVT system which would gain even more fuel economy.

Hell, just read the news, a Chrysler tranny just killed the actor that plays Checkov in the new Start Trek movies. The problem was already well known.

lzaffuto

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lucas
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 Vert
Fan boy comment.

That's the first time I think i have heard in 30 years saying a Chevy or Chrysler component is better engineered then Honda. Sure, Honda/Toyota set the bar of 1 failure per million in the 90's and Chevy and Dodge have caught up massively since then (from 1 in 10,000), but hardly.... Put up any sport tranny Chevy or Dodge built in 2000 against the S2000's.

More gears /= better.

If they were worth their salt they would build a sports CVT system which would gain even more fuel economy.

Hell, just read the news, a Chrysler tranny just killed the actor that plays Checkov in the new Start Trek movies. The problem was already well known.
It's funny you mention that, because the transmission you are talking about is a 9 speed auto that is shared with the Jeep Cherokee and Chrysler 200 (FWD based platforms). It's just a bad transmission with plenty of complaints and known issues. The 8 speed we are talking about is shared with BMWs and is a really well reviewed and liked transmission. The Jeep 8 speed issue is not an issue with the transmission but the actual console shifter design, as it affects all Jeep Grand Cherokees V6 and V8 (V6 and V8 have different ZF 8 speed autos) and no other vehicles with those same transmissions.

Links:

9 speed in Acura, Chrysler 200, and Jeep Cherokee

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_9HP_transmission

8 speed in Dodge Charger, BMW, etc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_8HP_transmission

JackBauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic base GT 6SP
it'll most likely be a GT350/350R only option, and the regular will still come with the 6R80. same thing as the camaro, up to the SS gets an 8 speed 8L90 but the ZL1 gets the 10 speed.

i wouldn't put my hopes up that the GT will get the 10 speed.

PIsenhour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium Dark Matter Gray Metallic
Starman - Hell, just read the news, a Chrysler tranny just killed the actor that plays Checkov in the new Start Trek movies. The problem was already well known.

They don't as yet know what happen to Anton Yelchin yet. It was just mention that his Jeep was under recall.:tsk:
Sponsored