Sponsored

10 speed auto transmission (10R80) S550 Mustang showing up in Microcat

PSUpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 V-6 Premium Convertible
Any news on the 10 speed auto that will be put into the F-150 such as pricing a specs to get an idea of what's to come if and when for the Mustang?
Sponsored

Double

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Ruby Red A10
Vehicle Showcase
Any news on the 10 speed auto that will be put into the F-150 such as pricing a specs to get an idea of what's to come if and when for the Mustang?
Here is a video talking about the new 10 speed in the F-150, and a few details to what the 10 speed is capable of besides the F-150.

skip to 5:44, for 10 speed talk.

[ame]

Excelerater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
10 speed auto,that should cost a pretty penny to rebuild once you smoke it with a power adder..IMO big power needs less gears not more

Earlsays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT
Microcat also (at least used to) list a diesel engine on the 07 or so F150...4.4 Liter IIRC

No sign of any of that stuff in Snap-On

BTW darrenb - hello fellow ford parts guy...

Sponsored

cp5899

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2015 ingot silver gt pp
I think I messed up a 3rd gear shift fork in my mt82. I thinking done with this manual even though I love a manual. Ive held off going forced induction because of the mt82. I was thinking about trading it in for an auto, but now have to wait a whole year for the 10 speed. Lame!!! May go test drive a new z06 and just jump ship all together. I've been waiting patiently for the gt500 return, but tired of waiting.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
A 10 speed auto is a great transmission for a volume car that has fuel efficiency in mind.

In my opinion, overdrive gears should not be considered part of the forward gear group when discussing great performance transmissions. Both manual and auto...

4 or 5 forward gears are enough and a single overdrive is all any performance car needs.

MadCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Its just the way it is. Cars keep getting heavier with every generation yet need to be faster and get better fuel mileage all at the same time. They can't defy physics so something's gotta give. So they are putting close to a dozen gears in the new vehicles. That's how big rigs have been able to do what they do for decades. Next thing you know we will have 2 speed differentials

MadCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Actually all those gears on big rigs are needed to take off from a stop when you're fully loaded. 80,000+ you need a super granny first year especially if you're on an incline (hills in San francisco ask me how I know). I can launch my Peterbilt in 5th gear empty when I'm feeling lazy and don't want to use the splitter haha.
That's my point. A rig needs em just to move 10-20 times the weight of a car from 0-70mph+ with only 2-3 times the displacement (i know they have forced induction also). But cars need them now because they weigh 2 tons or more and have to run low 12's in a quarter but not turn 6k RPM at 70mph to try to get 30mpg. A car that weighs 2000lbs could do all that easier still with less gears.

Sponsored

Double

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Ruby Red A10
Vehicle Showcase
Ford had to renew the 6R80 at some point... and what would have been the point for them to go 7/9 gears ? when the competition currently already has those in their cars ? The 6R80 has been used for 10 years now... if they want a new (n)R80 to hold out for another 10 years they cannot simply make something that is equal to the competition.

10 gears sounds like overkill but it's not far beyond the 8/9 speeds that are already on the road. So why would 1/2 more gears completely ruin it ?

If 8 works why not 10 ? Surely transmission logic has become much quicker and smarter so it might seem overkill looking at the past but I hope Ford knows what they are doing with this one :)

Last edited:

Double

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Ruby Red A10
Vehicle Showcase
Short video of the 10 speed assembly

[ame]

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Dry clutch or wet clutch? We already know Ford/Fiat/Chrysler has had big problems with the attempts at making a dry clutch auto. If they can't take after VW, Porsche, etc and do it correctly then don't even bother.

A quick explanation.
Well it's a traditional AT so there will only be bands and torque converter.

ngiotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT / 1970 Mach 1 (Twin Turbo Coyote)
I'd LOVE to put one of these behind the Coyote in my 1970 Mach 1, but considering no one even makes a fully-functional stand-alone controller for the 6R80 yet, I guess the 10R80 is a ways away...
Sponsored