2018 GT rear end whine.

mohadnuj111

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mohad
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Yesterday I was driving the car, I gave it WOT on 1st gear then shift gently to 2nd gear (the rear tires was spinning hard on 1st and 2nd gear).
When I upshift to second I heard a loud knock coming from the rear end. Drove the car today and there was a whine both on and off the throttle at high (speed 55-75mph). It really sounds like a differential whine to me.

Iā€™m taking the car to the dealer next week but Iā€™m wondering if anyone has experienced something similar or any info of what could be the problem.
Thanks.
Sponsored

Stock-ish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
Yesterday I was driving the car, I gave it WOT on 1st gear then shift gently to 2nd gear (the rear tires was spinning hard on 1st and 2nd gear).
When I upshift to second I heard a loud knock coming from the rear end. Drove the car today and there was a whine both on and off the throttle at high (speed 55-75mph). It really sounds like a differential whine to me.

Iā€™m taking the car to the dealer next week but Iā€™m wondering if anyone has experienced something similar or any info of what could be the problem.
Thanks.

The knock you described is concerning to me. Otherwise Iā€™d be inclined to say that diff whine is normal for the Torsen rear diffs found in these cars. I hear it in mine, sometimes more sometimes less but Iā€™ve never found it to be a concern since Torsens are known for being louder.

Redeemer

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP Deep Impact Blue

Thanks.
I know this is over a year old but did you ever get it figured out? I am getting some pretty gnarly whining. Really hard to describe but sounds like it is coming from the rear end. More pronounced when warm, and seems to happen only when I am in gear. If I hear the noise and then put it into Neutral, the noise goes away (though you can hear it briefly for 1 to 2 seconds after taking out of gear).

I have 75K miles on the car and this just started happening.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I know this is over a year old but did you ever get it figured out? I am getting some pretty gnarly whining. Really hard to describe but sounds like it is coming from the rear end. More pronounced when warm, and seems to happen only when I am in gear. If I hear the noise and then put it into Neutral, the noise goes away (though you can hear it briefly for 1 to 2 seconds after taking out of gear).

I have 75K miles on the car and this just started happening.
Check your diff mount bushings first.

Redeemer

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP Deep Impact Blue
Check your diff mount bushings first.
Replaced the water pump, belt tensioner, and idler pulley today out of necessity and the sound is completely gone. I'm happy about that but, was clearly looking in the wrong location for my diagnosis.
Sponsored