Sponsored

Is this normal?

soar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I just bought a new 2018 GT and its my first car to ever be in a v8 and over 200 hp. I've noticed something 'odd' and was wondering if it is something I need to get checked or not. I've had my car for almost a week and every time I up-shift with too much power on the throttle (say 1,000 rpm over what it should be) I notice a grinding sound and feel in the clutch pedal when I release it. It does not do this when shifting it correctly, only when I'm a bit too heavy on the gas pedal. Is this normal? I've never experienced this with past manual transmission cars, but they haven't been this powerful.

Edit: I made a recording of the sound showing the revs. It is louder outside the car than what you hear in the video. This was done by pushing the clutch in, reving to 4,000+ RPM, and releasing the clutch. I am not dumping the clutch for what its worth.
Sponsored

Last edited:

AlyourPal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GTPP
No, that's not normal. Video would help here, but I'd say take it in. Sounds like a problem with your synchros.

OP
OP

soar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Appreciate the reply, I'll try to get video of it.

youra6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Evo VIII RS, 2018 Mustang GT
Appreciate the reply, I'll try to get video of it.
I have the same problem

Visit my thread here: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98337

Basically long story short, dealership first tried to blame it on my "driving" then tried to state the issue will go away at 1000 miles. The dealer did mention that my syncros have yet to break in. I don't believe either story as I test drove 2 other 2018 GTs and one of which didn't make the noise and the other did.

Last edited:

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
Could be the common MT82 "bite". Does it go away when it's warmed up?

Disregard, saw where you said release clutch pedal...

I dunno, I'd take it in

Sponsored

youra6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Could be the common MT82 "bite". Does it go away when it's warmed up?

Disregard, saw where you said release clutch pedal...

I dunno, I'd take it in
The only way for me to get the sound to go away on my car is to wait for the revs to drop back down to 4K, then release the clutch. If I release the clutch anywhere above 4.5-5K, I get that noise.

OP
OP

soar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
The only way for me to get the sound to go away on my car is to wait for the revs to drop back down to 4K, then release the clutch. If I release the clutch anywhere above 4.5-5K, I get that noise.
I had only noticed it when actually shifting before, but I get the same noise when doing this. Just putting the clutch in, reving to 4k+, and releasing.

youra6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had only noticed it when actually shifting before, but I get the same noise when doing this. Just putting the clutch in, reving to 4k+, and releasing.
I would take it into the dealership and see what those guys say. Because my dealership refused to do anything except say the sound is "normal". They claimed to have asked the Ford Engineers but I can't really trust them at all. I've had 5 or 6 people drive my car and all of them made that same noise when shifting. I've owned pretty fast cars myself (including my current 450whp Evo) and none of them made this sound.

Be sure to get a repair order even if they don't do any work on it. This is in off chance you have to invoke the Lemon law.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
Yup....have the same problem, haven't brought it into the dealer yet.

OP
OP

soar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I would take it into the dealership and see what those guys say. Because my dealership refused to do anything except say the sound is "normal". They claimed to have asked the Ford Engineers but I can't really trust them at all. I've had 5 or 6 people drive my car and all of them made that same noise when shifting. I've owned pretty fast cars myself (including my current 450whp Evo) and none of them made this sound.

Be sure to get a repair order even if they don't do any work on it. This is in off chance you have to invoke the Lemon law.
Well glad to know that it isn't normal and thanks for the advice about the repair order. Guess I'll be making a visit to the dealership service station sometime this week. I'll update with any news.

Sponsored

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
Lol, if everyone with the same car, makes the same noise........ sounds kinda normal..

youra6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well glad to know that it isn't normal and thanks for the advice about the repair order. Guess I'll be making a visit to the dealership service station sometime this week. I'll update with any news.
Make sure when before you hand it off that you are in the car with the mechanic or tech.

Otherwise they will tell you they weren't able to reproduce the noise. These guys can be complete crooks.

youra6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hope my car doesn't have this problem. Should I get it high in the RPM band to test see if I hear it on the test drive?
Yeah I would definitely rev it to around 5.5K on your test drive. Like I've said before, I've driven three 2018 GTs and two of them made that sound.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
I see the Mt-82’s are still up to the same old tricks! Sux man its under warranty, take her in!
Sponsored