800 or 1400 rated half shafts?

Mikeiscoo2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
so im in a spot where im buying NT05R's and im going to need half shafts.. as of now the only mods I have done are JLT intake and Bama tune horsepower wise. small suspension mods. like steeda bushing supports and soon to arrive BMR control arms and toe rods. Now ive seen a couple people say they have already broken their stock half shafts with jlt intake and a tune. with nt05r's from 3500 rpm launches. so my question now is, will it be worth it to get the 800hp axles over the 1400's I do eventually plan on getting a v3 procharger (someday) maybe a year or two from now.. but other than that only ARH exhaust in the near future. so I guess the real question is. will the 800 axles be able to hold up to lets say 700-750 hp hole shots time and time again? or is it just too close to their limit to be safe??
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Mikeiscoo2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I just changed it into a real thread instead.

Last edited:

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
What's the price difference between the two versions of the half-shafts? How does that compare to the price of installation? How much do you want to worry about this later on down the road?

My personal preference based on your plan to eventually go with a S/C, would be to get the 1400 ones simply for the peace of mind that the extra stout version would give. Once I change something I don't want to be worried that I would need yet another change to handle my final power. I'd want to totally overkill that problem so I'd be able to rest easy, knowing there'd be almost no way to damage the upgraded parts.

-T

Burnin4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I wouldn't replace anything until it breaks. Most of the people that are breaking their axles are from poor launches, not letting out during wheel hop, not enough supporting suspension mods or wrong tire/pressure. I've made 1000's of pass's at the drag strip, and have learned to replace as I go. If you put upgraded axles in you're going to transfer that power to your next weakest link, which will probably be your differential, which is a lot more expensive to replace. Just my .02

Sponsored

15guardGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Green Auto GT
I would go with the 1400hp axles. The cost difference is minimal compared to the upgraded strength. I would upgrade the axles before going with radials, especially if you have a manual trans car.

The diff is actually really strong in these cars, so I doubt he would have an issue with breaking it without a significant (built engine) amount of power, although it may transfer enough stress to hurt the driveshaft. I haven't heard of anyone having a driveshaft failure though, so not sure just how strong the stock unit is.