Sponsored

Really unhappy about the clunking and whining

DesertStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic 5.0 PP Recaros
This transmission, or diff, or drive shaft makes way too much noise, it is more than noticeable and you can feel it through the pedals and shifter.. its just taking away from the feeling that this is a new car and shouldn't feel so sloppy, does anyone feel the same way? ive only had my car for 330 miles now but it just really is taking away from the diving experience. maybe its just me, or mine does it more than others..
Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Sounds like it is your car.

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
Just part of an american v8 + manual

Schu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550GTPP
Nope... I dont feel the same way OP.

you should have purchased an automagic if you wanted civility.

OP
OP

DesertStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had a supercharged 07 gt, and that tremec 5 speed never clunked like this lol.. I still love the car, just going to take some getting used to a new transmission that sounds like it has 200k on it lol...

Sponsored

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Our transmissions on our cars all whine pretty bad. I don't really notice it, unless someone I am taking for a ride brings it up. lol

Budnr22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Oxford - Tech Pack
I used to feel same way, OP. But I switched out fluid and added cat-back exhaust. It is much less apparent now.

I will still be on the hunt to quiet it down, but I am fairly satisfied with current state

OP
OP

DesertStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is comforting to know the sounds I guess are normal, I still need to order my cat back, hopefully that will help drown out the noise.

AMP-D

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ampdistributing.com
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt
I've addressed the whine and the reasons it develops in other threads. Even though this is a European designed Getrag transmission, its origins in parts and assembly is in China. The tooth profile on the gears is very irregular compared to higher quality units such as the Tremec or Getrag units who's gears were sourced from better gear cutters. At first, the unit operates quietly but once the teeth begin to break into each other, the low and high spots along the face of the gear begin to create noise just like a ring and pinion will do when not set up properly.

As for the clunking, the bearings inside the unit are not tapered bearings like the Tremec uses. There is no way to preload them. The front bearings are held in place with a snap ring and retainer bolt. The rear bearing on the main shaft is held in plate with a retainer bolt in the yoke and the cluster gear bearing free floats. Part of the drivetrain clunk is from the design of the unit. Part of it is just slack in the parts and driveshaft.

Schu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550GTPP
are you saying this is a finishing issue out of specification or a rockwell hardness issue? (e.g. Vickers, Brinell, Rockwell, Meyer and Leeb).

I find it hard to believe that Ford would allow non compliant parts (parts made at the edge of or more specifically out of Spec) to be used in their brand new signature car... Mustang.

Sponsored

AMP-D

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ampdistributing.com
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt
are you saying this is a finishing issue out of specification or a rockwell hardness issue? (e.g. Vickers, Brinell, Rockwell, Meyer and Leeb).

I find it hard to believe that Ford would allow non compliant parts (parts made at the edge of or more specifically out of Spec) to be used in their brand new signature car... Mustang.
I am not talking about the hardness of the gear. I am talking about the tooth profile of the gear. I've highlighted the issues on the input shaft we used as a sample to compare against our 26 spline input shaft we will be releasing later this year.

GTPONY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Oxford white 50 years
Mine got better after 2k miles. Still get the thud but I like it so no problems here and I drive the hell out of my 5.0.

AMP-D

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ampdistributing.com
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt
Mine got better after 2k miles. Still get the thud but I like it so no problems here and I drive the hell out of my 5.0.
Thud won't go away unless someone can come up with a solution to the movement and slack in the drivetrain. I did a one piece driveshaft in a friends 2013 Gt a few weeks ago. It was a FMS shaft and seems to have made the thud worse.

phunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT-PP
I notice that the car does it, but I guess it never bothered me. Try less caffeine in the morning :)