Sponsored

How to get that S4 / 335i Feeling on the S550 Platform

livewire2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT
So, If anyone here has ever owned or driven either of these cars then they know how locked down and smooth they feel on the road.

Very controlled, little dive, smooth turn in, etc etc.

I've done some searching but I haven't turned up anything defintive on the forum.

So I'm coming home next month and I'm ready to go to town on my baby to get as close to possible to that feeling.

I may miss my Audi but I'm hoping I can get that feeling in the suspension back.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
So, If anyone here has ever owned or driven either of these cars then they know how locked down and smooth they feel on the road.

Very controlled, little dive, smooth turn in, etc etc.

I've done some searching but I haven't turned up anything defintive on the forum.

So I'm coming home next month and I'm ready to go to town on my baby to get as close to possible to that feeling.

I may miss my Audi but I'm hoping I can get that feeling in the suspension back.
Do you have a PP car or no? If yes, how much, if any lowering are you comfortable with?

Lucky13Cat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 Purple
I was under the impression the steeda progressive springs were supposed to give an excellent ride but don't know which dampers. I had an '01 bmw 530 with sport option, the ride was excellent. Now I have steeda lowering and koni yellows on full soft and the ride is too harsh for my next mustang.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I was under the impression the steeda progressive springs were supposed to give an excellent ride but don't know which dampers. I had an '01 bmw 530 with sport option, the ride was excellent. Now I have steeda lowering and koni yellows on full soft and the ride is too harsh for my next mustang.
I had the same and switched to the Steeda Pro Action fixed dampers and the ride is amazing! I would also recommend the Steeda shock mounts, with the bearing in them, they allow the shocks to articulate and actually do their job.

To the OP, talk to Steeda! I have that ride and am all grins every time I get behind the wheel!

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
Ford Performance Track struts and a linear spring.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Easy. Just drove an M4 yesterday. You can see my build log. I don't think you need to go nearly as far as I did but my car felt better TO ME albeit a bit more unrefined in some situations and certainly firmer. The Mustang is a lot of weight to throw around, not that the M3/4 isn't kind of heavy, but it's a smaller and smaller feeling package. No Ford is going to drive like a German off the lot. Luckily, your Ford will probably last longer than 40K without needing a total engine rebuild and have electrical failures so... plus.

Having driven that car and having had/currently have the following parts, this is what I'd do if I was chasing those criteria personally. Start here (or with whatever TOPS 5 parts you decide on), then come back and tell us what feeling you are still missing. Don't just buy a bunch of stuff and cross your fingers.

- Swift Spec R springs
- Steeda Pro-Action Fixed Struts/Shocks
- Steeda IRS Bushing Supports
- Performance Package Sway Bars
- Steeda Front Subframe Brace OR Ford K-Brace + Strut Tower Brace

Done.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Easy. Just drove an M4 yesterday. You can see my build log. I don't think you need to go nearly as far as I did but my car felt better TO ME albeit a bit more unrefined in some situations and certainly firmer. The Mustang is a lot of weight to throw around, not that the M3/4 isn't kind of heavy, but it's a smaller and smaller feeling package. No Ford is going to drive like a German off the lot. Luckily, your Ford will probably last longer than 40K without needing a total engine rebuild and have electrical failures so... plus.

Having driven that car and having had/currently have the following parts, this is what I'd do if I was chasing those criteria personally. Start here (or with whatever TOPS 5 parts you decide on), then come back and tell us what feeling you are still missing. Don't just buy a bunch of stuff and cross your fingers.

- Swift Spec R springs
- Steeda Pro-Action Fixed Struts/Shocks
- Steeda IRS Bushing Supports
- Performance Package Sway Bars
- Steeda Front Subframe Brace OR Ford K-Brace + Strut Tower Brace

Done.
Don't forget 555-8161.

Tron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT w/PP
I have the frpp shocks/struts and bmr handling springs and hate it. Bounces, jounces, and is rough. Didnt seem bad at first but as time has gone by it has just turned me off completely . Currently looking at higher dollar coil-overs to get better valving tech and hopefully a better ride.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I have the frpp shocks/struts and bmr handling springs and hate it. Bounces, jounces, and is rough. Didnt seem bad at first but as time has gone by it has just turned me off completely . Currently looking at higher dollar coil-overs to get better valving tech and hopefully a better ride.
I sound like a broken record on here, but seriously, try these:
https://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-mustang-billet-rear-shock-mount-10mm-rear-shocks-555-8151.html

As many can attest, there's a pretty big ride quality and overall suppleness improvement with those mounts, [MENTION=9562]TNcoupe[/MENTION] , [MENTION=15518]jbailer[/MENTION] , [MENTION=26233]Rebellion[/MENTION] . The spherical bearing actually lets the shock work properly at all speeds and makes the rear feel softer, more composed, and FAR less bouncy. It'll always be firm with the springs you chose, but does not have to be overly harsh.

And make sure your bumpstops are trimmed adequately, too. At least 5/8" in the rear and 3/8" in the front.

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Yep, do the Steeda shock mounts.

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
[MENTION=10281]BmacIL[/MENTION] for my base GT I'm thinking BMR performance springs, PP shocks/struts, and Steeda shock mounts. Also thinking about the Steeda ride height spacer kit to limit the front drop to 0.5''. Any other little items I would need for alignment/etc...?

West TX GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT
I have never driven an M4 but my car now is much better than a 335i although it is stiffer. I don't consider it harsh though. I agree with the need for dampers and springs (I have Steeda adjustables and BMR handling) but you need to replace the crappy rubber bushings in the lower control arm and toe knuckles to get the locked down feeling you are looking for. They made the biggest difference for me and made the car feel very stable and sure footed. I believe in BMR's CB005 to lock down the IRS cradle and since you're in there, vertical links with spherical bearings to squash any remaining wheel hop. It seems like a lot but it isn't once you are doing it. Do it all at once and fall in love with your car. Remember that void filled rubber is your enemy and leaving it in your car will not give you a nice confidence inspiring solid feel.
Sponsored