Ford Performance Lowering Springs on an R

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I purchased a set of the Ford Performance lowering springs from the [MENTION=20243]50 Deep[/MENTION] group buy. At the time, I had a track pack. It was a no brainer to install them on that car.

The track pack is gone, and I am going to install Vorshlag camber plates on the new R. Anyone who has installed camber plates knows that it is a perfect time to replace the springs. On the flip side, I wouldn't want to have to take it all apart to remove the springs if I wasn't happy with them.

For those with R models that have installed the Ford Performance lowering springs, what are your impressions? I plan to track the car, and I would like to hear about differences in handling, ground clearance, and any other pertinent information to help me decide whether to use them or not.

Thanks
Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I purchased a set of the Ford Performance lowering springs from the [MENTION=20243]50 Deep[/MENTION] group buy. At the time, I had a track pack. It was a no brainer to install them on that car.

The track pack is gone, and I am going to install Vorshlag camber plates on the new R. Anyone who has installed camber plates knows that it is a perfect time to replace the springs. On the flip side, I wouldn't want to have to take it all apart to remove the springs if I wasn't happy with them.

For those with R models that have installed the Ford Performance lowering springs, what are your impressions? I plan to track the car, and I would like to hear about differences in handling, ground clearance, and any other pertinent information to help me decide whether to use them or not.

Thanks
I am completely stock and planned on doing the springs on my now gone Track Pack. However, I have owned the R now for 1.5 months and have already had the splitter fuckered UP!!! I will not lower any more. Now, as I understand it, you will gain ride height with he CC plates and once the FP springs are installed it will bring you back to pretty much stock height. So if a lower ride height is the goal, FORGEDABOUDID! If the slightly firmer spring rate is the goal its a must. I do not need the CC plates because the BMR bolts and stock hardware provide all the adjust ability I need and with my setup and FP springs, it would most definitely be lower and I do not want that.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I am completely stock and planned on doing the springs on my now gone Track Pack. However, I have owned the R now for 1.5 months and have already had the splitter fuckered UP!!! I will not lower any more. Now, as I understand it, you will gain ride height with he CC plates and once the FP springs are installed it will bring you back to pretty much stock height. So if a lower ride height is the goal, FORGEDABOUDID! If the slightly firmer spring rate is the goal its a must. I do not need the CC plates because the BMR bolts and stock hardware provide all the adjust ability I need and with my setup and FP springs, it would most definitely be lower and I do not want that.
I am concerned about ride height as it is, I have no desire to lower any more. I do concern myself with the spring rate. Are these R models suspensions purpose built for the track or are they a compromise for street driving as well? (yes it is a loaded question).

My takeaway from this is that it will make for a stiffer ride on the street and a better performing car at the track.

So for the folks who have done it, is the change worth it (sacrifice ride comfort for track performance)? I plan to track this car but also use it on the street frequently.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The way I understand it, the FP springs lower a non-R GT350 on 35-section tires to about the same ride height as an R on 30-section tires. The springs compensate for the different tire sidewall heights.

So, if you put the FP springs on your R, it'll be lower by about 1/2 inch. If you're not worried about speed bumps or other bumpy stuff, then lower away. If you are worried about bumps everywhere but a race track, then get a second set of taller tires. I run a set of relatively tall all-seasons on my GT350 most of the time, and it looks fine and it never bottoms out on anything.

The Vorschlag plates only raise the ride height by an amount so small that you'll never notice it.

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I quizzed All the staff at the Track Attack in July. They said leave it alone

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, that is the direction I am headed.

If the buyer of the seat delete backs out, let me know. I can ship it for free.

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)
I opted out of that group buy due to the R being low enough and I use it as a DD.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Im in different but were they involved in the testing of the springs? What were they basing their opinion on? And by staff who do you mean?

Last edited:

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
I'm going to the R spec sizes with my new wheels and mounting 305/30 front 325/30 rear (PS4S). I was also going to lower it as well with the FP springs. Am I going to be too low with the new wheels?

I'm thinking I should be right around a regular R ride height (which is fine) with the new springs and wheels. Is this incorrect thinking?

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
30's with the FP springs are going to have you lower than a factory R with OEM rolling stock.

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
Im in different but were they involved in the testing of the springs? What where they basing their opinion on? And by staff who do you mean?
I assume the instructors? I asked for the instructors opinions as well. I was told get a harness, alignment and nothing more. They assured me that the track packs are more than capable and the R even more so. All of the instructors in my class have driven both cars extensively. The after market exists because cars used to be very dull from factory and people like to modify. Vendors listen to the community and provide a product to fill the void. Since owners staring receiving their cars the talk of "lowering" was very well vocalized. Hence we have a product from Ford. I will take a pro's opinion vs my own thoughts or other non-professional opinions any day. I FB messaged R. Pobst shortly after receiving my car in 2016. He told me that the non R needed more bar in the rear. Turns out he was right as the bars are different not only in position but thickness vs R. I asked him about the R, he said nothing, leave it alone. I also asked about shifting points and he said "all the way to red line."

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
30's with the FP springs are going to have you lower than a factory R with OEM rolling stock.
True! I should have elaborated more in my initial statement as the example I was using is running a taller tire, MPS4S.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
I assume the instructors? I asked for the instructors opinions as well. I was told get a harness, alignment and nothing more. They assured me that the track packs are more than capable and the R even more so. All of the instructors on my class have driven both cars extensively. The after market exists because car used to be very dull from factory and people like to modify. Vendors listen to the community and provide a product to fill the void. Since owners staring receiving their cars the talk of "lowering" was very well vocalized. Hence we have a product from Ford. I will take a pro's opinion vs my own thoughts or other non-professional opinions any day. I FB messaged R. Pobst shortly after receiving my car in 2016. He told me that the non R needed more bar in the rear. Turns out he was right as the bars are different not only in position but thickness. I asked him about the R, he said nothing, leave it alone. I also asked about shifting points and he said "all the way to red line."
So I should just look at getting the front R springs to then?

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I am rolling on 30 series tires with the FP springs and a non R splitter. Its not as bad as I thought in NYC.

If you are in a place with good roads its doable.

The car is low no matter what you will never be able to drive it with reckless abandon

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
The R splitter is a major change though firestarter2. It would be crazy low with the FP springs on the street.
Sponsored