Sponsored

Vacation - worried about my baby.

TheNameAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
So going on Vacation soon for about a month and a half.

- Will it hurt the car if it sits without running till I get back?
-should I do any preventive maintenance? (maybe I'm overthinking)
-any input will be helpful thanks!
Sponsored

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
2021 Oxford White Mustang GT
You'll be fine. Just to top the gas off. If you have don't care about redoing some settings you can disconnect the battery. Not so much a problem with Ford's but BMW's will deplete a battery when sitting for extended periods of time. Modules continually get checked on BMW's even when the car is not in use. A new Tech we got from a Nissan learned that the hard way while doing a valve cover he had the fuel line disconnected and forgot to disconnect the battery bc they are in the trunk in BMW's, he left for the day and at like 10pm the car kicked the fuel pump on to keep pressure in the system and the car started pissing fuel every where. Luckily I was there since I work nights.

I don't daily drive my car. So in the winter it will sit that long. I just always keep the tank full and use a battery tender once a month or so just to keep it fresh. But never dropped below 85% in the winter sitting for a while.

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
2021 Oxford White Mustang GT
Just be sure when you do get home a drive it make sure you get that motor good and hot to burn off any moisture built up in the crankcase from sitting. So don't just start it, go for a nice ride and open that bitch up after you let the oil come to temp.

Last edited:

McCarthy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
Fill up the tank before you leave, take it for a good, hard drive as soon as you get back.

OP
OP
TheNameAndy

TheNameAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Just be sure when you do get home a drive it make sure you get that motor good and hot to burn off any moisture built up in the crankcase from sitting. So don't just start it go for a nice ride and open that bitch up after you let the all come to temp.
Thanks for the heads up! Should I just have a GOOD friend drive it for little once a week? To keep it running and happy?

Sponsored

MichaelKael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maggie, beautiful ´15 Cyclone Mustang 51A Magnetic
Thanks for the heads up! Should I just have a GOOD friend drive it for little once a week? To keep it running and happy?
Would you forgive him, and YOURSELF if anything happened then ?! Lol
Doesnt seem really necessary to me, dont worry

Phlyguy

International SAR Pilot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT with Recaro Seats
Purchase a trickle charger or battery tender if you are worried about battery discharge during your absence. Usually this is not a problem in moderate climates but in cold conditions a battery tender is a necessity if the car is left cold soaked for prolonged periods of time. I deploy monthly and my vehicle is garaged off and on. During the harsh winter I attach the battery tender and no problems. As others have said, top off your gas tank (no need for a fuel stabilizer for only 30-40 days) and allow the vehicle to idle until oil pressure stabilizes and warms up thoroughly. Allow your tires to warm up considerably before any aggressive driving. Seeing as you are in Vegas you should be fine...consult the folks at Shelby American with regards to if they recommend you use a battery tender while gone

Sinister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
My car has sat for a month and I wasn't even on vacation lol. You'll be fine.

Fox5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP magnetic
I'll take it out for you... Don't worry I'll keep it under 60...

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
As the others have said, she'll be fine.

If you have a garage and power, then a battery tender is a very good idea. Also worth over inflating your tires to prevent flat spots, although I've never had that problem. My S197 can sometimes go a couple of months without being driven :)

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Just disconnect the battery, or get a battery tender as mentioned above ... it will be fine. I let my sport cars sit for months over the winter time (I use a battery tender to keep the battery fully charged) and have been doing if for years and there have never been any ill effects.

Last edited:

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
it's a car not a dog. and it's only a month. let it sit. when you get home, drive some place.

YES

You are over thinking it.

Finally

Old Fart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Auto Prem Conv
Purchase a trickle charger or battery tender if you are worried about battery discharge during your absence. Usually this is not a problem in moderate climates but in cold conditions a battery tender is a necessity if the car is left cold soaked for prolonged periods of time. I deploy monthly and my vehicle is garaged off and on. During the harsh winter I attach the battery tender and no problems. As others have said, top off your gas tank (no need for a fuel stabilizer for only 30-40 days) and allow the vehicle to idle until oil pressure stabilizes and warms up thoroughly. Allow your tires to warm up considerably before any aggressive driving. Seeing as you are in Vegas you should be fine...consult the folks at Shelby American with regards to if they recommend you use a battery tender while gone
As the others have said, she'll be fine.

If you have a garage and power, then a battery tender is a very good idea. Also worth over inflating your tires to prevent flat spots, although I've never had that problem. My S197 can sometimes go a couple of months without being driven :)
Just disconnect the battery, or get a battery tender as mentioned above ... it will be fine. I let my sport cars sit for months over the winter time (I use a battery tender to keep the battery fully charged) and have been doing if for years and there have never been any ill effects.
^^^ These folks have it right. Get the Battery Tender You can get a permanent pigtail with a quick disconnect plug to connect to the terminals on your battery, making it easy to plug it in whenever you want. Lead acid batteries can last darn near forever, unless they are allowed to discharge. Here's some info to read when you get bored or have too much time on your hands: Battery Tutorial Sadly, all the time batteries sit at the dealership without being topped off seriously shortens their lifespan. Hope this helps! Oh yeah, have a terrific vacation! :cheers:
Sponsored