Sponsored

Hard Core Winter Driving.

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
About to commit to using my GT next year (always stored my Mustangs over winter) in HARSH winter commute. I live in central NY, have to drive to northern NY every week. I would be going up 81 where they get 400" a year of snow, and salt the roads like it is their favorite pastime. I came out of a bar up there a month ago, and it was -29*. Cold AF. It is a manual, so I will miss the remote start.

Currently, I am using my expedition for the winter drive, and it sucks gas to the tune of about 10 mpg once I am up there. Sick of having a decent car 50% of the year. After reading about the depreciation thread, I figure I should just wear this puppy down.
So,
-getting some 18" wheels for the best winter tires I can find,
-Weather tech front mats.
-Buying an extended warranty out to 8 years.
-Wash it as much as I can.
-Fluid film it till it looks like it came out of a roman orgy.
-Is their a mustang specific block heater that works good?

Crazy? Who else drives their Mustang in HARSH winter conditions? To be honest, I never see a Mustang around in the winter. But I want a nice car 24/7 365. I was even mulling over (after renting one in Hawaii) turning it in on a Q50 AWD 3.0 turbo, which was surprisingly quick and agile. I don't feel like taking a depreciation hit on a 2 year old GT with 24K miles though.
Sponsored

k4show

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP
This was the first winter with mine, held up well. I'm running Michelin X-Ice Xi3's and had 120lbs of sand in the back for the really rough parts of the winter. I also have a touches car wash pass and would wash it every few days as well. Very fun to drive in the snow. I might eventually get a cheap winter driver, but we'll see. I would also recommend a clear bra such as Xpel for the front clip to protect it from flying salt, gravel, sand etc. I had mine oil sprayed underneath as well.

IMG_0618.jpg

OP
OP
Lost

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This was the first winter with mine, held up well. I'm running Michelin X-Ice Xi3's and had 120lbs of sand in the back for the really rough parts of the winter. I also have a touches car wash pass and would wash it every few days as well. Very fun to drive in the snow. I might eventually get a cheap winter driver, but we'll see. I would also recommend a clear bra such as Xpel for the front clip to protect it from flying salt, gravel, sand etc. I had mine oil sprayed underneath as well.

IMG_0618.jpg
Yup, already have the clear bra on. And sprayed the fluid film too. It is currently in storage. Missing it!

Do you have a block heater (and us it?)

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
Not as far north as you, but I would drive my Mach1 every day even snow just south of Philly. I just tossed on Blizzaks in the rear, stock all seasons in the front. I put a spare wheel in the back for a little more weight. Never a problem.

Roman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2013 Fusion
We always had Mustangs as year round cars growing up in WNY. Toss on some winter tires, throw some sand bags in the back and have at it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lost

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Having a hard time finding a block heater online. I know Ford has them on Canadian cars, but can't find boo about them.

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack
Me , in Montreal, 2 winters no problem. I have been to some ice and snow events with it. Fun to drive with good winter tires

OP
OP
Lost

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Me , in Montreal, 2 winters no problem. I have been to some ice and snow events with it. Fun to drive with good winter tires
Did yours come with a block heater?
What tires do you use?

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
Ever think of selling that Expedition for a better daily? I love my Si. It's really fun to drive. Using Michelin x-ice i3s and oil sprayed. Plus I get over 30mpg hwy. Takes premium fuel though.
I did consider making my Mustang a daily. I'd rather store it.

OP
OP
Lost

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ever think of selling that Expedition for a better daily? I love my Si. It's really fun to drive. Using Michelin x-ice i3s and oil sprayed. Plus I get over 30mpg hwy. Takes premium fuel though.
I need to keep it for now as long as we own our 24' I/O boat. But damn, only used that boat 3 times last year, and the wife and I considering punching out if we don't use it much this year. Kids are getting older and what not.

Sponsored

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport
I DD my car and I have to be at work regardless of weather. I had michelin Ice X somethings, which were rated well but I mean it wasn't blizzaks. 235/50r18 on a PP ecoboost. Car was just fine in appropriate snow depth. I plan on DDing my GT. Some thoughts...

First difference is the kind of ground clearance you're giving up. That is the difference between getting through anything or planning on a backup option. Idk if you have to drive out even if it gets deep enough, or if you regularly take streets that wait to get plow attention, but those can be problems for a mustang. I havent ever been stuck in 3 winters (MD) but Ive also not used the stang on a few occasions.

Second difference is confidence. Stress is def up compared to being in a truck. Big balls and bigger patience.

You can def accommodate it, but to an extent. Just have contingency plans in case. if your expedition is paid off or nearly, I would keep it around until it starts clunking out. Try it for a winter and then ditch the boat/truck if its ok?

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
Even in Canada the block heater was an option; so not all cars have them. I never checked that box on mine because I didn't like the lower grill you get and mine isn't winter driven.
I'm sure you could retrofit the ford one, but there are lots of aftermarket kits you can buy too.

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack
Did yours come with a block heater?
What tires do you use?
No block heater, never use one in my cars.
Nokian hakkapelita 8 non studded

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
I'm a bit farther north than you, and regularly see 3 Mustangs in my area during the winter (we too average 15+ feet of snow every year).

1 of the Mustangs is a V6, the others are GTs. All use dediated winter tires, two with Blizzaks, one with Nokians.

I will likely also be driving a Mustang through winters within a couple of years, and will be opting for Nokians if I can afford them (Blizzaks if I can't).

I never see Mustangs stuck on the side of the road up here, partially because there are so few of them, but mostly because people driving them in the winter are using extra caution and are prepared for the drive. (FYI - 99% of vehicles that go leave the pavement during snow storms in my area are trucks or SUVs with all season tires)

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
I highly doubt that the Si is any better in the snow than a Mustang with Blizzaks (nothing against the Honda). I'm currently driving a car similar to the Si, and my biggest issue is relatively high torque / weight of vehicle. On a slight, I need to creep to get moving or I'm going nowhere. With worn winter tires, I've been stuck in parking lots more times than I can count.

As mentioned - tires are everything. I used to try to get 3 full winters out of snow tires, but that 3rd winter can be downright dangerous if you're not careful.
Sponsored