The Photography Hangout Thread

Diego Narwhal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2015 GT PP
Some quick pics that I snagged today. First time branching out to the Aperture Priority mode @ 100 ISO . Feel free to critique, only way I can get better! :cheers:
That is one bad-ass looking ride, and you did a fantastic job on the shots! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Sponsored

zacpounds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Ecoboost
Some quick pics that I snagged today. First time branching out to the Aperture Priority mode @ 100 ISO . Feel free to critique, only way I can get better! :cheers:

25218760343_ad0af36c8c_h.jpg
You picked a good location for the photos. The brick really helps the color of the car and you shot in the shade which gives you even exposure over the whole car (this is why photographers like to shoot at sundown, besides the amazing skies you can capture). Shooting in the shade can bring up other problems with the background being blown out, which you can see a bit with the first shot but you did well to minimize it (whether you meant to or not. Lol). I would still try to keep the car in the lower third of the photo and also watch how much of an angle you shoot at until you get more used to taking photos and seeing what works well over time but you're off to a great start.

You're car is too perfect.. :love:

PS. Also try to keep the car pointing into the frame, not out of it. It's just a general rule of thumb, it's it's going to point out of the frame then make sure it's not so close to the edge of the shot.

OP
OP
CompO5.sl0w

CompO5.sl0w

GTFO_0021
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP / 2015 Jeep Rubicon
That is one bad-ass looking ride, and you did a fantastic job on the shots! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks man! :cheers:

You picked a good location for the photos. The brick really helps the color of the car and you shot in the shade which gives you even exposure over the whole car (this is why photographers like to shoot at sundown, besides the amazing skies you can capture). Shooting in the shade can bring up other problems with the background being blown out, which you can see a bit with the first shot but you did well to minimize it (whether you meant to or not. Lol). I would still try to keep the car in the lower third of the photo and also watch how much of an angle you shoot at until you get more used to taking photos and seeing what works well over time but you're off to a great start.

You're car is too perfect.. :love:

PS. Also try to keep the car pointing into the frame, not out of it. It's just a general rule of thumb, it's it's going to point out of the frame then make sure it's not so close to the edge of the shot.

First off, thank you for putting this together Zac! Yeah, the pics shot in the shade versus the first couple I took turned out ALOT better with the even exposure.

Quick questions.
What do you mean by "Blown Out"?

Did I shoot at too much of an angle on the angled pics to where it just looks borderline weird? I've never been one to angle pics, but I gave it a shot this time around.

What do you mean by pointing into the frame and making sure it's not so close to the edge? I'm guessing you mean keep the car in the center?

Sorry for all the questions, just wanted to make sure I fix them for next time!:thumbsup:

Also, I used Aperture Priority this time around, and it paid off. I don't know why I used auto for so long. Only thing that was hard was really seeing what was blurring out and what wasn't. At some points it seemed that when I went from one extreme to the other, nothing really blurred out. I also used the eye piece for the majority of shots as well.

mjhousto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium DIB, 50 Years AP
Thanks man! :cheers:

What do you mean by pointing into the frame and making sure it's not so close to the edge? I'm guessing you mean keep the car in the center?
The photos look great Comp05.sl0w! Keep up the good work.

I think I can answer a couple of your questions (Zac feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

Blown out refers to a loss of detail due to extremes in exposure. It can be from low exposure in shadows or high exposure in light and causes details to be lost that can't easily be corrected in post-process.

Pointing into the frame refers to the rear of your car facing the edge of the frame and the front end pointing toward the center or top of the frame. I've read that as a general rule of composition a viewer will perceive a diagonal line from the bottom left corner to the top right corner as "entering the picture" and a diagonal line from the top left corner to the bottom right corner as "exiting the picture".

I hope this makes sense.

zacpounds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Ecoboost
First off, thank you for putting this together Zac! Yeah, the pics shot in the shade versus the first couple I took turned out ALOT better with the even exposure.

Quick questions.
The background becomes so bright that objects lose detail, like the sky looks completely white instead of blue. Sometimes this can't be helped and that's okay but when objects, like the building in the background, get so bright that they blend in with the sky, it's considered blown out.

Did I shoot at too much of an angle on the angled pics to where it just looks borderline weird? I've never been one to angle pics, but I gave it a shot this time around.
A little bit, personally. And it's not a bad thing to play with angles, I would just do so a little later on because over time, you will understand more about composition and what looks good, that's when you can play around more. I'm not trying to tell you what is right and what is wrong, but it is something you may want to consider.

When shooting the front of the car, make sure that it is pointing "into" the frame so that it appears that it is "moving", so to speak, into the shot and not out of it.

Sorry for all the questions, just wanted to make sure I fix them for next time!:thumbsup:
No problem, asking questions is how you learn. I am all for helping unlike many photographers I actually like to help.

Also, I used Aperture Priority this time around, and it paid off. I don't know why I used auto for so long. Only thing that was hard was really seeing what was blurring out and what wasn't. At some points it seemed that when I went from one extreme to the other, nothing really blurred out. I also used the eye piece for the majority of shots as well.
I personally think aperture priority is silly. It may set the aperture for you but sometimes you don't want that aperture if you know what you're looking for in a shot. If you set the aperture to the lowest setting, the lens will keep the lowest aperture possible for that focal length and often times the shots I get from that mode are either blown out or grossly underexposed.
Replies in bold ^

Sponsored

zacpounds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Ecoboost
The photos look great Comp05.sl0w! Keep up the good work.

I think I can answer a couple of your questions (Zac feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

Blown out refers to a loss of detail due to extremes in exposure. It can be from low exposure in shadows or high exposure in light and causes details to be lost that can't easily be corrected in post-process.

Pointing into the frame refers to the rear of your car facing the edge of the frame and the front end pointing toward the center or top of the frame. I've read that as a general rule of composition a viewer will perceive a diagonal line from the bottom left corner to the top right corner as "entering the picture" and a diagonal line from the top left corner to the bottom right corner as "exiting the picture".

I hope this makes sense.
You're correct. Typically the highlights are referred to as blown out, not usually shadows although the idea is correct.

Pointing out: (still follows the rule of thirds but is not so close to the edge. The front of the car, if it were moving would be going out of the photo)

@vdub_sreter by Zachary Pounds, on Flickr

Moving in: (the front is facing the right but the car as a whole is more on the left side of the photo, so it is moving in)

@mhsupreme by Zachary Pounds, on Flickr

American

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 GT / 17 GT350

Couple o' fat butts. I'd edit all the reflections of the overhead lights out if I had time for that, but I don't have time for that.

zacpounds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Ecoboost

Couple o' fat butts. I'd edit all the reflections of the overhead lights out if I had time for that, but I don't have time for that.[/quote]

Nice shot, like the symmetry and obviously the booty. Lol.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0

25218760343_ad0af36c8c_h.jpg

25214829894_8b07c3dca6_h.jpg

25845323495_c8ab98db2d_h.jpg

You got some awesome shots here!

The only things I would change would be to reduce the blue hues on the lower portion of the images to get it off the rocks and the car's windshield. This would add some better color contrast, keep the blues in the sky and highlight the oranges and reds of the car and the blacks in the ground.

If using PS or LR, drop the blue and cyan saturation then use a brush tool to erase the adjustment from the sky.

Last edited:

zacpounds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Ecoboost
You got some awesome shots here!

The only things I would change would be to reduce the blue hues on the lower portion of the images to get it off the rocks and the car's windshield. This would add some better color contrast, keep the blues in the sky and highlight the oranges and reds of the car and the blacks in the ground.

If using PS or LR, drop the blue and cyan saturation then use a brush tool to erase the adjustment from the sky.
To get rid of the bluish color on the rocks he could simply warm the photo up in Lightroom. This would also resolve the issue on the car for the most part, although it would leave some blue on the car without looking like it's oversaturating. And then play with Hue channels to adjust the specific colors back to the correct tones. Reducing saturation can make things funky looking if done too much. Warming the photo up would solve most of the issues with the blue tones. I hate using the brush in Lr unless it's to adjust wheels because it's not precise like masking is in Ps.

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
To get rid of the bluish color on the rocks he could simply warm the photo up in Lightroom. This would also resolve the issue on the car for the most part, although it would leave some blue on the car without looking like it's oversaturating. And then play with Hue channels to adjust the specific colors back to the correct tones. Reducing saturation can make things funky looking if done too much. Warming the photo up would solve most of the issues with the blue tones. I hate using the brush in Lr unless it's to adjust wheels because it's not precise like masking is in Ps.

Yeah I'm not a fan of the brush in LR as much as in PS which is what I started editing with.

Diego Narwhal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2015 GT PP
It's difficult to get much background blurring with a short focal length lens, especially when you're talking about shooting something as big as a car. In order to get a much separation from the background, you need either a lens with a very wide aperture (1.8 or faster) or a longer focal length and some distance between you and the car.

I personally think aperture priority is silly. It may set the aperture for you but sometimes you don't want that aperture if you know what you're looking for in a shot. If you set the aperture to the lowest setting, the lens will keep the lowest aperture possible for that focal length and often times the shots I get from that mode are either blown out or grossly underexposed.
The whole purpose of aperture priority is for when you wish to control the depth of field in a shot. If what you're looking for in the shot doesn't involve monkeying with the DOF, then perhaps another mode is more appropriate, but if you're looking to get some separation between the subject, then aperture priority is a perfectly acceptable mode to use. As for exposure, it's always good to keep an eye on the exposure meter and maybe even chimp a little, and either change the metering mode or dial in some exposure compensation as needed.

uglygun

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 289 2v, 95 Cobra, 05 GT, 15 GT Perf Pack
Crap cell pic. RAW is on memory card of my SLR. Hope it is better but the damn cell phone does an okay job for web pics.