Sponsored

Clutch pedal detent and audible "Pop"

Earlsays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT
Recently installed (less than 200 miles ago) Magnum XL with a McLeod RXT clutch, and McLeod lightened steel flywheel

Car running, in Neutral, foot of pedal, can hear a whirring noise, push the clutch to the floor, noise goes away.

As I release the clutch pedal, I do not feel a sold motion, there is a slight click/detent to the pedal motion, which is getting worse, and now a slight popping sound to accompany the notch/click/detent

Clutch engagement feels great, transmission shifts just fine.

Engagement/disengagement is rather noisy, audible CLUNK when the clutch makes contact with the flywheel.

Is something misaligned, or is the McLeod setup just a bit more raw and uncivilized, and this is just the new personality of the car?

My big concern here, is that I don't want the car to destroy itself. Quite a bit of money spent, and it just can't go to waste.

Thanks,

Earl
Sponsored

2-tone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 mustang gt m6
Mine has had the click on release ever since I got a twin disc. It has remained with my rxt and my rxt1200. I don't think it did it with the mantic twin, but I'm not 100% sure. I have seen no ill effects other than annoyance an about 10k miles.

OP
OP
Earlsays

Earlsays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT
Mine has had the click on release ever since I got a twin disc. It has remained with my rxt and my rxt1200. I don't think it did it with the mantic twin, but I'm not 100% sure. I have seen no ill effects other than annoyance an about 10k miles.
How about noise? From idle to about 2,000 RPM, I hear this dragging/rubbing almost grinding sound coming from the clutch, is that normal for the RXT?

Also, at idle, foot off the clutch, there is a whirring / rubbing noise, push the clutch pedal in, noise stops.

The detent / pop when releasing the clutch pedal only occurs when the engine is running, turned off, clutch pedal moves smoothly.

2-tone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 mustang gt m6
In second or third gear you can get some racket below 2k rpms.

My trans is a 6060 and you can definitely hear a difference with the clutch released vs engaged even in neutral.

I think the pop is only when running but I'm not 100%. Don't pay it much attention when the car is off.

Darthmayxj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
How about noise? From idle to about 2,000 RPM, I hear this dragging/rubbing almost grinding sound coming from the clutch, is that normal for the RXT?

Also, at idle, foot off the clutch, there is a whirring / rubbing noise, push the clutch pedal in, noise stops.

The detent / pop when releasing the clutch pedal only occurs when the engine is running, turned off, clutch pedal moves smoothly.

I wanted to jump in here. I have the Exedy ET04XD twin disk clutch and have this exact same thing happening. IF I turn the engine off everything is butter smooth. If the engine is running and in neutral and I let the clutch out kinda fast, I feel the detent/pop at the very end of the pedal travel followed by the normal noise of the clutch. I just replaced the clutch master cylinder since it was cheap and it made no difference.

Its been a few months since you guys posted on this post. How are the clutches feeling? I don't plan to pull trans until I have some failure or issues with engagement.

Shookie89

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Recently installed (less than 200 miles ago) Magnum XL with a McLeod RXT clutch, and McLeod lightened steel flywheel

Car running, in Neutral, foot of pedal, can hear a whirring noise, push the clutch to the floor, noise goes away.

As I release the clutch pedal, I do not feel a sold motion, there is a slight click/detent to the pedal motion, which is getting worse, and now a slight popping sound to accompany the notch/click/detent

Clutch engagement feels great, transmission shifts just fine.

Engagement/disengagement is rather noisy, audible CLUNK when the clutch makes contact with the flywheel.

Is something misaligned, or is the McLeod setup just a bit more raw and uncivilized, and this is just the new personality of the car?

My big concern here, is that I don't want the car to destroy itself. Quite a bit of money spent, and it just can't go to waste.

Thanks,

Earl
Did you end up using a “brass pilot bushing”? I had a similar issue, ended up being the pilot. Put a ford racing one back in and it’s resolved the sound. Never fixed the spring/pedal issue
Sponsored