Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Oh, and the TVR AJP FPC V8 was a disaster for the company. Most of them required at least 1 rebuild and was the beginning of the end for the company.

Of course, Ford have dozens of technicians to do their development.....TVR used their customers :D
Sponsored

NDSP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
I'm thinking most of you have no ears for engines. That is not a 6 for sure, and it isn't a 4 either. That is most definitely the FPC we've been hearing about. A 4 would smooth out alot more as the rpm climbs than the motor in this video does.

jcalvert86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
What does the Ecoboost 3.5 v6 sound like? :shrug:
The ecoboost 6 would put that car in direct competition power-wise to the GT.

I could see them phasing out the 5.0L and replacing it with the ecoboost, but not offering both.

* Could be the phase out plan on the 5.0L coyote.. offer the ecoboost tuned upwards of 500hp to sway the V8 crowd.

Shark77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MS3
I'm about 95% sure that's a 6 cylinder. Listen to some ecoboost v6 aftermarket exhaust clips and there is definitely a resemblance.

Sponsored

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
I'm thinking most of you have no ears for engines. That is not a 6 for sure, and it isn't a 4 either. That is most definitely the FPC we've been hearing about. A 4 would smooth out alot more as the rpm climbs than the motor in this video does.
Okay, since you're obviously the resident expert at identifying engines in YouTube videos, skip to 1:12 in this video and tell me that there is not some resemblance in sound. Notice how it still stays rumbly even when the RPMs climb and doesn't really "smooth out" much (your words)?

[ame]

And what kind of engine does it have again?

EDIT: I'm not saying it's NOT an FPC engine, but don't make it sound like we're all idiots. The sound is clearly very similar to a hi-po 4 cylinder or possibly a 6.

NDSP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
Ok, I'll back off the absolutes I was spouting because it is a shotty video recording. But it does have the characteristic tinny idle with the rasp as rpm's climb of a flat plane crank V8. Both a 4 and a 6 smooth out as rpm's climb and rasp(comparatively) at idle.

Look at the bright side, we have something to obsess about to distract us from not having any specs or pricing yet, lol.

mitchell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
3.5L. It was being considered for the S550, I heard possibly for a SE. Grain of salt, but this could be it.

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
I wonder if Ford will continue the track car and ultra high power street car as specialty products at the same time for the s550.

Sponsored

NDSP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
Okay, since you're obviously the resident expert at identifying engines in YouTube videos, skip to 1:12 in this video and tell me that there is not some resemblance in sound. Notice how it still stays rumbly even when the RPMs climb and doesn't really "smooth out" much (your words)?

And what kind of engine does it have again?

EDIT: I'm not saying it's NOT an FPC engine, but don't make it sound like we're all idiots. The sound is clearly very similar to a hi-po 4 cylinder.
holy crap, how can you you even compare the two? Not even close. First in your video it is a free reving parked car that may be hitting 2500rpm at most. Their is NO load on the motor, AND it is a flat opposed subaru motor for pete's sake. Put a load on it and get it to 3K+ and it will be as smooth and fart can sounding ricer mobile as you please.

That said, I've listened several more times and the more I listen the less sure I am. Just entirely too much background noise. I am also considering the packaging. Would ford really put a 4/6 in what by all apprearances is the same GT350 prototype we've been seeing. Or would they be testing the FPC that has been rumored for months to go in the GT350?

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
holy crap, how can you you even compare the two?
Because clearly I'm an idiot and you're the expert at identifying engines in crappy cell phone videos.

Not even close. First in your video it is a free reving parked car that may be hitting 2500rpm at most. Their is NO load on the motor, AND it is a flat opposed subaru motor for pete's sake. Put a load on it and get it to 3K+ and it will be as smooth and fart can sounding ricer mobile as you please.
First I disagree that 4/6 cylinders cannot sound similar to that Mustang, at least based on the relatively poor audio quality of that video.

Second, I hope you're right that it is an FPC motor.

DB83

Granny Shifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
God I hope that is not going to be what the HiPo models sound like. It sounds terrible!

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Before so much speculation had been posted, I thought about how closely the sound resembled a Subaru - irrespective of what the engine is. I actually like the sound of Subarus, but only on Subarus... And that's about the only four cylinder that sounds really good to me. Whatever it is in this protype Mustang, it sounds out of place to me -- not bad, just out of place. Like hearing a dog meow, or a cat bark or something.

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Another thought: How much research and development would need to go into a flat-plane equipped engine? I would expect there would be a lot of money being pumped into it, and it would be for a niche market - it's hard for me see a business case for it, however cool it might be. An engine solely for a few Mustangs when there are already three powertrain options? It would be so much easier to throw some kind of forced induction on a Coyote and call it a day.
Sponsored