Ford Co-Pilot360 to be standard on entire lineup

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Either, or. Software isn't any good without the hardware part and vice versa. The autonomous car thing is bringing up some real ethical issues like who is to blame?
Welcome to the next giant corporate loophole.
Sponsored

outta here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
currently none
Can’t wait for autonomous cars on the interstate. You know they will be programmed to stay at or below the speed limit.

God help anything going at the speed limit on Mass. highways. I drive 80 and people pass me like I am stopped or tail gate.

Should be fun!

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
You know they will be programmed to stay at or below the speed limit.
You also know they won't be able to keep up with temporary speed limit reductions in anywhere near real time, don't you?

Do not assume anything approaching 'perfection' in these machines. Do not be afraid to be somewhat skeptical about the claims that others make . . . for anything.

Norm

Reactions: Ebm

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Either, or. Software isn't any good without the hardware part and vice versa. The autonomous car thing is bringing up some real ethical issues like who is to blame?
My assumption is that every time an autonomous car hits someone or something there will be a lawsuit. It's possible that autonomous cars will go the way of small, affordable airplanes.

outta here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
currently none
You also know they won't be able to keep up with temporary speed limit reductions in anywhere near real time, don't you?

Do not assume anything approaching 'perfection' in these machines. Do not be afraid to be somewhat skeptical about the claims that others make . . . for anything.

Norm
I am more afraid of the mix of aggressive/distracted drivers and self driving cars.
They are playing by 2 different set of rules.

Should be amusing.......

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Great questions, and scary to think about
I don't know if it passed, but in Germany there was debate on a law that would forbid cars to favor the occupants over other people. I suppose at first, the law wouldn't mean much since current technology wouldn't let the car know things like how many people were in another car, etc..

One of my favorite comics from a few years ago:
Self Driving Cars cartoon.png

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I am more afraid of the mix of aggressive/distracted drivers and self driving cars.

Should be amusing.......
Probably three different sets . . . and yes, amusing as long as neither of us is mixed up in the middle of it all and perhaps driving under yet another set of rules.

After almost 50 years, I still have a few not-so-fond memories of driving in traffic in the Greater Boston area. Not nearly as many good memories of same.

Norm

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

Should be amusing.......
It's already there on the roads. There's nothing new about mixes of people following different rules on the road.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
I don't know if it passed, but in Germany there was debate on a law that would forbid cars to favor the occupants over other people. I suppose at first, the law wouldn't mean much since current technology wouldn't let the car know things like how many people were in another car, etc..

One of my favorite comics from a few years ago:
While this is humorous, it is also exceedingly unlikely, particularly in the above scenario. Swerving is almost never the best thing to do, while braking is. Interestingly human drivers seem to have a hell-bent desire to swerve rather than brake. I drive on a rather busy but remote two lane road fairly often, and I can't tell you the times that I see people mis-calculate a passing attempt and neither the passing car nor the head-on car in the other lane BRAKE, instead they swerve even so far as to go careening off onto the shoulder or off-road. Most people have no grasp of how effective modern brakes are.

So in the above scenario both cars will attempt to minimize harm, which is accomplished by braking, minimizing (possibly eliminating) the severity of the accident.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Swerving is almost never the best thing to do, while braking is. Interestingly human drivers seem to have a hell-bent desire to swerve rather than brake. I drive on a rather busy but remote two lane road fairly often, and I can't tell you the times that I see people mis-calculate a passing attempt and neither the passing car nor the head-on car in the other lane BRAKE, instead they swerve even so far as to go careening off onto the shoulder or off-road.
Didn't expect you to be an advocate for self driving cars.

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
While this is humorous, it is also exceedingly unlikely, particularly in the above scenario. Swerving is almost never the best thing to do, while braking is. Interestingly human drivers seem to have a hell-bent desire to swerve rather than brake. I drive on a rather busy but remote two lane road fairly often, and I can't tell you the times that I see people mis-calculate a passing attempt and neither the passing car nor the head-on car in the other lane BRAKE, instead they swerve even so far as to go careening off onto the shoulder or off-road. Most people have no grasp of how effective modern brakes are.

So in the above scenario both cars will attempt to minimize harm, which is accomplished by braking, minimizing (possibly eliminating) the severity of the accident.
We don't need this tech in Cali since the mandate seems to be center dividers and no passing anywhere anyway. At least in my neck of the woods.
Sponsored