Sponsored

Brand new Mustang GT PP steering wheel shake

Kronos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Hi guys, I'm hoping you can help. I just bought my first Ford, and my first brand new car. I'm having an issue with my steering wheel shaking or vibrating as soon as you hit over 45mph. It starts to smooth out a little over 62 or 65mph. Ive had it in 3 times. At 2 different Ford dealers (one was a very bad experience). All say they cannot duplicate. Do these cars just do that? I've had other people in the car and I've asked them to touch the wheel to see if it was noticeable. They said absolutely they could feel it and it didn't feel normal and they also confirmed it immediately went away right under 45. Why is the Ford dealerships saying they can't see it? Are they just brushing me off? Normal for these cars? Honestly it's ruining the enjoyment of this car for me. I haven't even brought it in for the other 12 issues I'm having (yes 12).
Sponsored

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
That's usually a wheel out of balance. Sometimes can flatspotting if the car sits in one spot for awhile, but that would go away after a few miles.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Not normal. The shaking that is; unhelpful dealers unfortunately not a rarity.

If the vibration goes away below and above those speeds, quick web search points toward slightly out of round tire or bent wheel. Don't assume it absolutely can't be the latter unless unless you delivered the wheels to the factory, put them on the car, loaded the car on the truck, train, etc. and delivered it to the dealer where you immediately test drove it.

OP
OP

Kronos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
So I was driving to work today just now. Noticed more of a vibration in floor pan and a little vibration in wheel this time. I'm thinking, like you guys said, tire balance, or I was also thinking possible driveshaft out of balance. How would I tell the difference? My goal is to when I bring it in to just tell them what to check, instead of just saying they can't duplicate it and then doing nothing

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
What you are experiencing IS the driveline vibration that is a HUGE issue...

It's NOT the tires... Although they will want to force balance the tires - let them, but they and you will see, it won't diminish the vibration or sensation you currently have with the car.

Go into the driveline vibration and continue discussion there.

ALL of the symptoms you have stated are related to the driveline vibration and tell your Dealerits NOT a normal characteristic of ANY performance vehicle. Tell them to reference the SSM that was distributed by Ford, which again is referenced in the huge and very active driveline vibration thread.

Welcome to being another Ford Customer who has purchased a $30k+ Ford Vibrator.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Kronos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Yes I've seen that thread. Very long. I don't remember there ever being a solution in that thread, correct? Is there anyway I can tell by the symptoms if it is a driveshaft issue or tires? Seems like the symptoms are very similar.

Last edited:

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
Driveline vibration wouldn't cause steering wheel shake. Floor pan yes.

OP
OP

Kronos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Ya that's why I originally thought tires. But it's possible the wheel could be just vibrating. It is usually more of a vibration then side to side. It does move side to side, but not a very large degree. I do appreciate your input guys.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
As suggested, start with tire balancing and inspection for radial and axial run-out of both the wheel and tire (ie, bad belts, etc). Make sure the dealer has a road force tire balancer.

furiousfuria

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT/CS Premium
Ya that's why I originally thought tires. But it's possible the wheel could be just vibrating. It is usually more of a vibration then side to side. It does move side to side, but not a very large degree. I do appreciate your input guys.
What recently happened to my ST before I traded it in was the steering wheel started to shake and pull to the right out of nowhere. Thought alignment was off and when I went to get alignment done they showed me the front right tire was starting to bulge out on a small area, I never would have noticed it myself it was so subtle. Could be a couple different things happening to you unfortunately!

Sponsored
OP
OP

Kronos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Ya alignment would definitely cause it to pull.. But yes I've actually had my tires inspected but not balanced 3 times by the dealers. I've also looked at them basically with a magnifying glass and have felt them for anything unusual myself and did not notice anything.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Driveline vibration wouldn't cause steering wheel shake. Floor pan yes.
Yes it does - and it's even referenced in the Ford SSM as part of the "experience".

OP
OP

Kronos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I also am pretty sure I saw that and also kind of have that same question in the back of my mind. I assume from the overall shakeyness of the car

888mustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V-6 051A 6spd,95 Mustang GT Vert
Yes you have the drive line vibration.I am a auto Tech 35+ years and my car had the same vibration and YES the steering wheel did shake.Mine was fixed by indexing the drive shaft to the rear pinion flange.Ford put in a new drive shaft that did not make it better. Good luck.
Sponsored