Sponsored

Official 2.3L Ecoboost Thread

jgut12

18 GT Orange Fury PP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP Orange Fury
Seeming that this will be a popular choice among some of us who opt for some performance with better gas mileage, I would like to dedicated a soul thread to talking about this engine.

We haven't seen any real clues from the reveal of the front mount intercooler system or engine shots yet, but I am sure they are coming.

So let's have a thread dedicated to this engine, talk about performance and possible future mods etc here.
Sponsored

UOP Shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 50 LE Kona blue
This is the Mustang engine for which I have been waiting. We've had 3 Mustangs in our family that were 4-bangers: 77, 78 & 79 Ghias. I liked the upscale interiors & those 4s all had well over 200K miles on them. The 77 got totaled with 475K miles!

I can't wait to get back into a 4-cyl again. With over 300 bhp, I can't wait to take a test drive!

FOURCED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SVO ~800HP
Same Here, Just here for the 2.3 Engine. Still love the old Lima 2.3 but really looking forward to this new Technology.
Thanks to Ford for FINALLY building it and Thanks to this board for the great coverage and the 2.3 specific thread.

Sponsored

JonnyMustang

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Flex EB
When I got my 4.0 2006 model, I kicked myself for not getting the GT. This time I can honestly say that I'm excited about this EB. The soul of this 2015 is more euro sports car and I think a light weight motor with a turbo is fitting for that.

As I get older (and hopefully wiser haha), I like the idea of driving a "slow" car fast. I mainly just cruise on back country roads so I don't need a 450 horsepower car for something like that, just something light and tossable on some esse curves, really. Also, my toy budget is tight, so 31 or 32 MPGs sound really appealing.

appledore4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mustang Bullitt
Found the answer. According to Autoweek it is going to be built in Valencia Spain.

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/savemoney.shtml

Based on 17/25 (2003 V6) and 22/32 (EcoBoost rumored MPG based on Ford Survey), I will save about $500 a year if I go with the EcoBoost engine from what I currently drive. The engine basically pays for itself in one year...if the $560 EcoBoost option is accurate.

It's going to be hard to not go with the GT. I plan to own this car for a long time and the fuel savings is going to be considerable over the life of the car. We shall see how it goes when the actual specs come out for real.

I am still on the fence, but I honestly see no reason at all to consider the V6. Why not spend $560 more and get much better fuel millage and keep the same performance. Also...the engine will probably be lighter so you will probably actually get even better performance.

In the end...it's the GT or EcoBoost for me.

dustyaman

Threads
Reaction score
Yes ive been going nuts over this 2.3l turbo. I have a v8 truck that ive put time and effort into that actually hangs with the current 5.0 now. The 2.3l will be my arkansas hill and curve carver. Yah I will probably add some mods to it to make it faster. But isnt that what makes making a car your own. Anybody can buy a v8 mustang and go fast. But taking a 2.3l and making it just as fast as the v8 stock gives me a sense in pride like I do with my truck.

Oldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Yellow 4 Banger
I hear you. I currently own a Challenger V6 with supercharger. I could easily buy a hemi, but a) 400 lbs on the nose and b) what fun is that to buy something "off the shelf".

To my mind the big selling points of the S550 4T (FourTurbo) is that is is light with a good torque curve so it should have tossable handling, something that no current pony / muscle car has. I also own and drive an Integra Type R, so I really do understand what light weight and 4 banger power.

The S550 4T should run on E85, I would predict an E85 tune, larger turbo, intercooler, downpipe, exhaust put out 350 to 375 HP on a shake and bake kit.:shocked: Look for one drifting sideways at your local racetrack.

Sponsored

Oldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/savemoney.shtml

I am still on the fence, but I honestly see no reason at all to consider the V6. Why not spend $560 more and get much better fuel millage and keep the same performance. Also...the engine will probably be lighter so you will probably actually get even better performance.

In the end...it's the GT or EcoBoost for me.
The 4T should have a strong and flat torque curve so even at the same peak HP level as the V6 the 4T would be much faster and more responsive, race, street, puttering around town. Acceleration is nothing more than the aggregate area under the power curve.
4T 2.0 for Focus: 270 lb·ft (366 N·m) at 1750–4500 rpm
One would assume the 2.3 would do 10% better.
V6 3.7 Mustang: 280 lb·ft (380 N·m) at 4,250 rpm

That said the 3.7 is an impressive engine in its own right, scan down the article and look at the torque curve compared to other V6s.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/0...ord-f-150-introduction-and-37-v-6-part-1.html

Bullit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus Ct200
Yes man, I Have heard 2.3EB will be mounted here in Spain. :)

This plant has gained importance lately, Ford closed one in Belgium and brought here the production of some models.

Currently build:

• Ford C-MAX
  • Ford Kuga (Ford Escape)
  • Ford Grand C-MAX
  • Ford Transit Connect

This really shocked me, I thought 2015 will be built in USA and exported.

EDIT: It's confirmed
http://www.lasprovincias.es/20131205/economia/ford-almussafes-motor-mustang-201312051549.html
http://www.levante-emv.com/economia...-fabrica-motor-espectacular-ford/1057654.html

JonnyMustang

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Flex EB
Isn't the turbo design different on this 2.3l over say the V6 ecoboost? Something about the turbo mounting differently?

Oldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well the twin entry exhaust manifold is cast into the head, many companies are doing this, it is cheaper, smaller package, less parts and lights off the CAT faster. Can't put headers or custom tube turbo manifold on the 2.3 EB.