Sponsored

K-Brace Install (Under the Car) - a must do!

89Trooper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
attachment.jpg

*Click on any picture for a larger image*

Just like with some of the upper braces, unless you ordered a Performance Pack car, the 20" rim option, or a convertible, you do not get the K-Brace that is installed under the car.

Even if you do not want the extra bracing, this installs SO EASILY and afterward you will have the access panel to get to the oil filter! That alone is worth it!

First you'll need to buy some parts. Here is a picture of the two new pieces that you'll have to buy. The metal piece on top is part number FR3Z-5025-A, and the plastic shield is part number FR3Z-6P013-B. The second picture shows how the two parts install as a unit, and the third picture is a comparison to the non-Performance Pack shield at the bottom of the picture.

To remove the old shield (as you would have to do for every oil change), you will have to remove four (4) bolts using a 7mm socket, and two (2) bolts using a 10mm socket. You will need to use the 7mm ones for the new install, but the 10mm ones are not reused. Here is a picture with the shield installed, and another with it removed (you can see where the new brace will install - there is a pink mark next to all of the threaded holes from the factory).

You will also need some additional hardware. I wasn't able to get these from the dealer, so I can't give you part numbers. You'll need six (6) M10-1.5 x 25 bolts. I bought some Class 10.9 flanged steel cap screws. You will also need three (3) additional screws like the ones to remove the original plastic shield. Both are shown here.

Here is a test-fit of the metal brace to make sure that all six of the new bolts thread in easily.

And here it is completely installed. You'll need four (4) of the screws that are in my hand above to attach the new plastic piece to the metal brace, two (2) are re-installed in the front of the new panel, and one (1) is needed to keep the access door closed. IMPORTANT: don't tighten anything until every bolt is started, and until you make sure the hole for the access door lines up where it needs to be. Torque for the six (6) bolts is 42 ft-lbs, just like for the strut tower brace in the engine compartment.

Here are some pics of the access door open and closed. How nice it will be to change my oil next time! :)

Sponsored

Last edited:

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Thanks for the write up! Between the upper and lower hardware, would you mind sharing the total cost? Also, since many are weight sensitive :-), any idea of the total amount for all the parts?

Last edited:

draco24433

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang GT Premium

Sponsored

OP
OP
89Trooper

89Trooper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
OP
OP
89Trooper

89Trooper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Thanks for the write up! Between the upper and lower hardware, would you mind sharing the total cost? Also, since many are weight sensitive :-), any idea of the total amount for all the parts?
Total cost = just over $400.

As far as weight, I never even thought about weighing each of the braces before installing everything.

Old Car Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Tech Pack. AG Black Roof Black Stripes G3597
*Click on any picture for a larger image*

Just like with some of the upper braces, unless you ordered a Performance Pack car, the 20" rim option, or a convertible, you do not get the K-Brace that is installed under the car.

Even if you do not want the extra bracing, this installs SO EASILY and afterward you will have the access panel to get to the oil filter! That alone is worth it!

First you'll need to buy some parts. Here is a picture of the two new pieces that you'll have to buy. The metal piece on top is part number FR3Z-5025-A, and the plastic shield is part number FR3Z-6P013-B. The second picture shows how the two parts install as a unit, and the third picture is a comparison to the non-Performance Pack shield at the bottom of the picture.

To remove the old shield (as you would have to do for every oil change), you will have to remove four (4) bolts using a 7mm socket, and two (2) bolts using a 10mm socket. You will need to use the 7mm ones for the new install, but the 10mm ones are not reused. Here is a picture with the shield installed, and another with it removed (you can see where the new brace will install - there is a pink mark next to all of the threaded holes from the factory).

You will also need some additional hardware. I wasn't able to get these from the dealer, so I can't give you part numbers. You'll need six (6) M10-1.5 x 25 bolts. I bought some Class 10.9 flanged steel cap screws. You will also need three (3) additional screws like the ones to remove the original plastic shield. Both are shown here.

Here is a test-fit of the metal brace to make sure that all six of the new bolts thread in easily.

And here it is completely installed. You'll need four (4) of the screws that are in my hand above to attach the new plastic piece to the metal brace, two (2) are re-installed in the front of the new panel, and one (1) is needed to keep the access door closed. IMPORTANT: don't tighten anything until every bolt is started, and until you make sure the hole for the access door lines up where it needs to be. Torque for the six (6) bolts is 42 ft-lbs, just like for the strut tower brace in the engine compartment.

Here are some pics of the access door open and closed. How nice it will be to change my oil next time! :)

Tom were did you order this from, buy any chance Tasca :ford: thanks.... John

OP
OP
89Trooper

89Trooper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

TorkN8R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Ingot Silver Auto W/3.55's
Total cost = just over $400.

As far as weight, I never even thought about weighing each of the braces before installing everything.
Nice!

Well there you have it...&400, another reson to add to the list that the $2,500 for the PP is worth the price.

Sponsored
OP
OP
89Trooper

89Trooper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Nice!

Well there you have it...&400, another reson to add to the list that the $2,500 for the PP is worth the price.
Not for me... because I wanted the 50th Anniversary rims, and I would have had to spend a fortune to buy them. Too bad they didn't give the option on which rim you got if you ordered both packages.

YellowMenace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Race Red GT, 1973 Ford Capri with Coyote
Those two ford parts are about $80. So the bolts and screws are $320?

robb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Looks like a pain to get an oil filter wrench on the filter.

OP
OP
89Trooper

89Trooper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Those two ford parts are about $80. So the bolts and screws are $320?
He asked about the upper and lower braces. All together (upper k-brace, strut tower brace, lower k-brace, lower plastic panel, and hardware).