Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
Guy gets engine replaced and buyback from Ford and people still come out as "Aw its normal"

Sorry i've been away from the thread as they haven't figured my situation out yet. I drove 5 mustangs at the dealer over the weekend and then went to another and drove 2.
Not 1 of them made the ticking noise. I did speak about buying a new GT with a roush charger on it. Roush chargers for the 18 are on backorder due to the b/o for the fuel system components. So i have time to think :)

Edit - With the Focus RS issue and the mustang being over 40K it should not make this noise. There are more and more you tube videos with trans and engine issues. We are not telling you to panic. Just be aware...

Like the saying goes.... when life gives you lemons make lemonade. Well when Ford gives you lemons what do you do?
I haven't driven another to see if I can hear it on any new ones yet. I'll see if I can't do that before too long, maybe next Friday. I also haven't had time to mount my camera under the hood to get a better listen to the noise, but I plan to do that too. I can also drop a bore scope down one I get a free afternoon to have a peek.

I've got some oil to send off as well, from when my pan gasket was replaced. Granted, this is a really small sample set, but given how many people in that poll have responded that they have the noise vs those that don't, I'd be a little surprised if ALL of us hearing it had a bad motor.
Sponsored

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
Guy gets engine replaced and buyback from Ford and people still come out as "Aw its normal"

Sorry i've been away from the thread as they haven't figured my situation out yet. I drove 5 mustangs at the dealer over the weekend and then went to another and drove 2.
Not 1 of them made the ticking noise. I did speak about buying a new GT with a roush charger on it. Roush chargers for the 18 are on backorder due to the b/o for the fuel system components. So i have time to think :)

Edit - With the Focus RS issue and the mustang being over 40K it should not make this noise. There are more and more you tube videos with trans and engine issues. We are not telling you to panic. Just be aware...

Like the saying goes.... when life gives you lemons make lemonade. Well when Ford gives you lemons what do you do?

I thought you said they were kissing your ass and giving you the world. at least thats what you were implying in the P.M you sent me saying I was wrong.. I wont believe they are doing a thing for you with your modded tune unless I see the paperwork like the OP posted. FORD has to approve a new engine.. the dealer has zero say in the matter no matter how much they like you.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I thought you said they were kissing your ass and giving you the world. at least thats what you were implying in the P.M you sent me saying I was wrong.. I wont believe they are doing a thing for you with your modded tune unless I see the paperwork like the OP posted. FORD has to approve a new engine.. the dealer has zero say in the matter no matter how much they like you.
Why do you think a tune would make any difference here? The issue sounds like either a loose component in the valve train, or some sort of condition causing some piston slap. Neither one of those should be effected by a tune.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Why do you think a tune would make any difference here? The issue sounds like either a loose component in the valve train, or some sort of condition causing some piston slap. Neither one of those should be effected by a tune.
Ford will say that the tune put additional strain on the internal components, thus causing a premature failure. Go prove to them in court that they're wrong.

If this was possible, all Subaru owners who experienced a catastrophic ringland or rod bearing failure would have gotten their engines replaced for free.

At the end of the day, lawyer and court fees would add up to more than the new engine.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Ford will say that the tune put additional strain on the internal components, thus causing a premature failure. Go prove to them in court that they're wrong.

If this was possible, all Subaru owners who experienced a catastrophic ringland or rod bearing failure would have gotten their engines replaced for free.

At the end of the day, lawyer and court fees would add up to more than the new engine.
Additional strain wouldn't create loose valvetrain components or piston slap. In Subaru's case, a tune does put more strain on the ring lands. If Ford tried that with me, I would take the challenge. I am betting with my years of engine development experience, I could win. Luckily, I have never had issues with Ford. They have generally been mod friendly.

Sponsored

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Additional strain wouldn't create loose valvetrain components or piston slap. In Subaru's case, a tune does put more strain on the ring lands. If Ford tried that with me, I would take the challenge. I am betting with my years of engine development experience, I could win. Luckily, I have never had issues with Ford. They have generally been mod friendly.
What I'm saying is that you and I know this. Go ahead and convince a judge about this. Ford will throw one of their very experienced lawyers behind this so that a precedent is not set about them losing warranty legal battles.

I'm not saying that they're right to void it due to a tune, but it's what happens in most cases.

A tune itself doesn't do crap to Subaru's ringlands. Detonation does. Stock tune runs very lean and even Cobb's OTS tunes are far safer for the Subaru engine than the OEM one. The rod bearings go because of bad tolerances and lack of oil getting to where it needs to go. Once again, not really tune related, but they're not gonna cover that repair.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
What I'm saying is that you and I know this. Go ahead and convince a judge about this. Ford will throw one of their very experienced lawyers behind this so that a precedent is not set about them losing warranty legal battles.

I'm not saying that they're right to void it due to a tune, but it's what happens in most cases.

A tune itself doesn't do crap to Subaru's ringlands. Detonation does. Stock tune runs very lean and even Cobb's OTS tunes are far safer for the Subaru engine than the OEM one. The rod bearings go because of bad tolerances and lack of oil getting to where it needs to go. Once again, not really tune related, but they're not gonna cover that repair.
I highly doubt Ford will pay their lawyers to take that to court. They are a customer of mine, and it just wouldn't make financial sense. If you shot a piston out the side of the block, that is one thing. This rattling noise is another. The key here is to find an honest dealer and have a good relationship with them. They should be able to push the warranty work through, as it has no chance of being caused by aftermarket tuners. It would be nice if we were able to pinpoint the problem area though.

I am an ex-STI owner. Subaru has plenty of engineering evidence to use against modders. They can easily claim increasing boost will result in increased cylinder pressure, and a higher chance of knock/detonation. While we are all aware the stock tune sucked, the canned COBB tunes aren't much better. My STI knocked like crazy with stock and with the COBB stage 1 tune. After a couple months of datalogging and playing with the different octane level tunes, I put my STI back to stock and started looking for a buyer.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
I highly doubt Ford will pay their lawyers to take that to court. They are a customer of mine, and it just wouldn't make financial sense. If you shot a piston out the side of the block, that is one thing. This rattling noise is another. The key here is to find an honest dealer and have a good relationship with them. They should be able to push the warranty work through, as it has no chance of being caused by aftermarket tuners. It would be nice if we were able to pinpoint the problem area though.

I am an ex-STI owner. Subaru has plenty of engineering evidence to use against modders. They can easily claim increasing boost will result in increased cylinder pressure, and a higher chance of knock/detonation. While we are all aware the stock tune sucked, the canned COBB tunes aren't much better. My STI knocked like crazy with stock and with the COBB stage 1 tune. After a couple months of datalogging and playing with the different octane level tunes, I put my STI back to stock and started looking for a buyer.
You're kidding yourself if you think that Ford doesn't have a legal team on retainer. We will find out what happens in this case though. Sounds like he's just gonna trade the car in.

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I am surprised more people haven't stuck scopes down their cylinders at this point.

Lots of videos with this rattle are popping up on YouTube. In the comments for one video somebody mentioned test driving four different Mustangs at two different dealerships and they all had this rattle.

It'll be interesting to see if the 2019s have this rattle as well. They should start hitting the dealers in about two months.

Last edited:

BladeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 HBM 1SS TR6060 NPP
I am surprised more people haven't stuck scopes down their cylinders at this point.

Lots of videos with this rattle are popping up on YouTube. In the comments for one video somebody mentioned test driving four different Mustangs at two different dealerships and they all had this rattle.

It'll be interesting to see if the 2019s have this rattle as well. They should start hitting the dealers in about two months.
I tried to scope mine(pics are a few pages back), but the head of the camera is too long and doesn't allow enough bend to face cylinder walls and the mirror attachment is too large. From what i could see, they didn't appear scored or marked. Some have stated they're going to scope, but havent reported back yet. I would like to see their results. Like you stated, I'm curious as well to see if the '19's will have it.

Sponsored

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I tried to scope mine(pics are a few pages back), but the head of the camera is too long and doesn't allow enough bend to face cylinder walls and the mirror attachment is too large. From what i could see, they didn't appear scored or marked. Some have stated they're going to scope, but havent reported back yet. I would like to see their results. Like you stated, I'm curious as well to see if the '19's will have it.
I must have missed the pictures. Were you able to angle the scope at all at the top of the cylinder so you could see the middle or bottom half of the cylinder walls? Agree, it'd be great to see some more cylinder wall pictures from others who have this rattle.

Nvm, just saw the pictures. You were able to see part of the cylinder walls and from what you could see, they look ok.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Sorry guys I've been out of the country. I still have not heard anything from the dealer on the status of my new short block or any additional info on what damage they found. I'm about ready to just take my refund and buy something else. I had plans to get a 2019 Mustang but with the crappy service from the dealer, I don't know anymore.

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
Ford has no problem denying a warranty claim if it finds the vehicle has an unauthorized modification or tune. just ask all the S197 guys who had engine claims denied.

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra

Fords Lawyers only work for Ford, they don't work for anybody else. they are employed solely by Ford. it doesn't cost ford a dime extra to go to Court over a denied warranty claim especially since the case would be initiated by somebody suing Ford..

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
Not going to happen. The noise was happening since day 1, and the tune has nothing to do with the noise.

Just incase... I have a video dated for March 24 that shows the noise being made and my tune was done on may 1.

what line of thinking goes along with an abnormal noise in a brand new car? ok lets go ahead and install a tune?
Sponsored